Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I’m a hypocrite and I was wrong.

What changed my mind? Being able to share bike with brother so he can enjoy a 2-3hr NWA ride, sessioning Enduro stages without killing myself due to brain fog after the Nth run, and adding some endurance zone session on the “rest” days.

I am still a fitness/sufferfest junkie, but I also like to optimize everything and get best bang for buck.

So yeah, eBikes are cool. Sorry about calling you all eHoles for last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
WARNING - respectful counterpoint below…

I’m the opposite.

I bought 2 e-fat bikes last fall for me and my daughter. We used them lots over the winter. I changed the studded tires back to the OEM non-studded tires, with the intention that we would continue riding them during the other 3 seasons on off days, and for epic journeys.

Haven’t touched them once since swapping the tires.

I am thinking about selling them and buying a couple of non-e fatties for us for the upcoming fall/winter.

I’m just not there yet. And my daughter is 10x more reluctant to ride them than me. I can’t talk her into it, regardless of how much riding we have done and how tired we may be.

I have never had any bad feelings about e-bikes and the people who ride them. I still don’t. It’s just not our thing. There is a certain masochistic element of joy that’s missing for us when riding the e-bikes. When hitting the summit on them, there is no ear to ear grin, or high fiving, with sweat dripping off our faces. As effed as that sounds, it’s nowhere near as fun for us riding without that element.

And yes - we ride them fast and try to push ourselves as hard as we can on them. But it’s just different. And not in a good way.

EDIT; maybe a better idea Is for us to buy or rent the fatties, but not sell the e-bikes quite yet, just in case it’s no fun at all trying to wheel the non-e fatties around in cold temps and sometimes crap snowy trail conditions. What I don’t want to do is go from bad to worse. We have not tried non-e fatties in the winter.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
What changed my mind? Being able to share bike with brother so he can enjoy a 2-3hr NWA ride, sessioning Enduro stages without killing myself due to brain fog after the Nth run, and adding some endurance zone session on the "rest" days.

I am still a fitness/sufferfest junkie, but I also like to optimize everything and get best bang for buck.
This and being able to ride day after day in the mountains when you come from flat land for me. A FANTASTIC supplement to my other bikes...

·
Registered
Cannondale Habit 2 Neo
111 Posts
WARNING - respectful counterpoint below…

I'm the opposite.

I bought 2 e-fat bikes last fall for me and my daughter. We used them lots over the winter. I changed the studded tires back to the OEM non-studded tires, with the intention that we would continue riding them during the other 3 seasons on off days, and for epic journeys.

Haven't touched them once since swapping the tires.

I am thinking about selling them and buying a couple of non-e fatties for us for the upcoming fall/winter.

I'm just not there yet. And my daughter is 10x more reluctant to ride them than me. I can't talk her into it, regardless of how much riding we have done and how tired we may be.

I have never had any bad feelings about e-bikes and the people who ride them. I still don't. It's just not our thing. There is a certain masochistic element of joy that's missing for us when riding the e-bikes. When hitting the summit on them, there is no ear to ear grin, or high fiving, with sweat dripping off our faces. As effed as that sounds, it's nowhere near as fun for us riding without that element.

And yes - we ride them fast and try to push ourselves as hard as we can on them. But it's just different. And not in a good way.

EDIT; maybe a better idea Is for us to buy or rent the fatties, but not sell the e-bikes quite yet, just in case it's no fun at all trying to wheel the non-e fatties around in cold temps and sometimes crap snowy trail conditions. What I don't want to do is go from bad to worse. We have not tried non-e fatties in the winter.
Yes, from what I understand, fatties are an aquired taste.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Went to something similar with my girlfriend (though with a road bike).. Wanted to buy an ebike for her so we could ride together faster (she is skinny but not really fit, had asthma problems for years... she can go uphill but very slow and takes her a lots of energy). The answer was always no, they are for old people, it's embarrassing to ride one, who needs them when you have legs etc. She refused to even take a test ride.
Then she tried one of the e-road bikes during a test event (we were testing loads of mountain and road bikes, so somehow I talked her into trying an ebike as well) and suddenly she realised it's fun, she uses her own legs on flats (25kmh limit here, so with a road bike you ride on your own quickly when not going uphill) and during the climbs it gives her a slight push, so she is not suffering that much and saves energy for the next flat part...
So 2 days later we bought a Scott e-road bike with motor in the rear-hub, which looks almost the same as my road bike (also Scott). And now it's her favourite bike ever, compared to a few different bikes over the years (mtb, gravel, touring etc.). She only regrets not buying one earlier 🙂

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Yeah I'm a hypocrite and I was wrong.

What changed my mind? Being able to share bike with brother so he can enjoy a 2-3hr NWA ride, sessioning Enduro stages without killing myself due to brain fog after the Nth run, and adding some endurance zone session on the "rest" days.

So yeah, eBikes are cool. Sorry about calling you all eHoles for last few years.

No problem, but the next enduro race you have to let me pass you. This is just the start of righting a long injustice. E-Reperations sounds bad, but y'all will get used to them

·
Registered
81 Posts
EDIT; maybe a better idea Is for us to buy or rent the fatties, but not sell the e-bikes quite yet, just in case it's no fun at all trying to wheel the non-e fatties around in cold temps and sometimes crap snowy trail conditions. What I don't want to do is go from bad to worse. We have not tried non-e fatties in the winter.
I think that might be very wise. A few snow rides (or non-rides because conditions are too tough) on manual fat bikes might give you guys a new appreciation for your VLT's. I love my manual fatbike to death, which is why it breaks my heart to know how much dust it's going to be collecting now that I have an E-Fat which so so much more capable.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
I think that might be very wise. A few snow rides (or non-rides because conditions are too tough) on manual fat bikes might give you guys a new appreciation for your VLT's. I love my manual fatbike to death, which is why it breaks my heart to know how much dust it's going to be collecting now that I have an E-Fat which so so much more capable.
Agreed.
Sky Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very nice! I haven't had mine in snow yet, but even in the summer I've been able to make it places no manual bike stands a chance.

I can't wait to get it on snow and see how much the "window of ride-able conditions" is opened for it.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Very nice! I haven't had mine in snow yet, but even in the summer I've been able to make it places no manual bike stands a chance.

View attachment 1945037

I can't wait to get it on snow and see how much the "window of ride-able conditions" is opened for it.
With studded Wrathchilds on ours, there is nothing we did not ride. We hit some serious terrain. Over 50 legitimate mountain rides last winter for us, up to 7 hours at a time. We covered a serious amount of terrain and hit some super high elevations.

I think that those bikes are great for winter riding. They are super capable for the other 3 seasons too. It's just that we can get to where we want on our non-e bikes in the absence of snow on the ground.

All that said, this thread has got me kinda stoked to hit a long awesome ride this week with my daughter on them, on what otherwise might have been a rest day.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,448 Posts
Yeah I'm a hypocrite and I was wrong.

Welcome to the party. No worries, enjoy your ride, that's really the only thing that matters, regardless what you ride. Bigger things to worry about in life.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Over 50 legitimate mountain rides last winter for us, up to 7 hours at a time. We covered a serious amount of terrain and hit some super high elevations.
Very impressive! It'll be interesting to get your thoughts if you spend some time on manual fatbikes this year. I think most fatbikers have never tried an Ebike, and most Ebikers have never fatbiked (in the snow, at least). You'll have a good frame of reference to compare/contrast the two.

·
Registered
806 Posts
When the snow gets deep on a fatbike, the pedals dig divots every time they come around and that can really mess with your balance at slow speeds. That is when throttle helps a lot. Still you take an occasional digger. Not analog fatbike territory. Tire Wheel Sky Bicycle Vehicle
Bicycle Tire Wheel Snow Bicycle frame
Tire Bicycle Snow Wheel Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.