Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I use EBC Golds in my Avids (cable). Much better than the stock pads. My favorites are the Galfers. Better modulation and slightly less power than the EBCs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
are these the same as the EBC car pads? i am assuming they are by all the colors, if so i use the greens and reds on my auto x-er and love them :) I was not aware of their pads for bikes, if it is the same company i will probably look into them, their kevlar pads work well in atomobiles.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Lucky13 said:
I don't care about wear rate, as long as they are grippy and powerfull. Is red EBC the way to go?

Thanks!
I get the best power with the Golds. Red is OK in the dry, awful when wet.

I had two sets of Avid pads last 10 days/75 miles. The Galfer and EBCs last 6-9 months.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
I get the best power with the Golds. Red is OK in the dry, awful when wet.

I had two sets of Avid pads last 10 days/75 miles. The Galfer and EBCs last 6-9 months.
Shiggy, thanks. Although 1 more question: what would be better if I'm looking for modulation, gold or red?

Thanks a lot.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Reds are grippy.

Lucky13 said:
I don't care about wear rate, as long as they are grippy and powerfull. Is red EBC the way to go?

Thanks!
I've tried several different types and brands in my Hayes. I like the Hayes regular pads in the front 8" rotor setups, but I use the red EBCs in the rear 6" setups. The red pads seem to give more power on that 6" rear than anything else I've tried. The reds on an 8" front rotor seem just a little too strong for my taste. The bottom line is that the red EBC pads seem to provide a very noticeable increase in grip from my experience.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Lucky13 said:
Shiggy, thanks. Although 1 more question: what would be better if I'm looking for modulation, gold or red?

Thanks a lot.
I do not know. The Reds were too bad in the wet (near ZERO power) for me to use them very long.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
I have used them in the past and been happy with them, just put new Hayes on my bike now and are still running the stock pads but when I replace them I will prob. go with the reds

·
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
403 Posts
I personally prefer the OEM pads over the EBC pads (have used EBCs for Magura Marta and Hayes). This could be an isolated incident, but I did have one occassion where one pad shattered on a hard stop 20 minutes into the first ride after the install. (the pad material broke apart and then packed up in the caliper).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.