Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have had issues with their Juicy 7's warbling, squealing or otherwise making noices they aren't supposed to make, which pads were more effective in eliminating the noise?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I havnt used them, but people have had good luck with the Galfer pads. As far as which compound, Im not absolutely sure.

For what it is worth, it seems that the switch to the G2 rotors has solved some issues as well. But, ultimately it comes down to setup.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
For those who have had issues with their Juicy 7's warbling, squealing or otherwise making noices they aren't supposed to make, which pads were more effective in eliminating the noise?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob
Like he said- most people are able to solve the squealing by replacing the polygon rotor with a clean sweep rotor. Also I've been really impresseed with the goodridge pads. I run the G* up front and the G+ in back and love them.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G2 issues, and my twisted logic

I was under the impression that G2 solved the problems, but check out this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263320

My thought is this: I have a bike on order with the '07 J7's. I have another bike with BB7's that could use new pads. Rather than order the standard pads for the BB7's, order EBC or Galfer for the J7, and install them immediately. Use the stock J7 pads as replacements for the BB7's.

I may be trying to solve a problem that potentially won't exist ( or may still exist despite the pad change ) but given my circumstance, I don't think I can go wrong with the plan I have conjured up.

Bob

·
Registered
822 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I was under the impression that G2 solved the problems, but check out this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263320

My thought is this: I have a bike on order with the '07 J7's. I have another bike with BB7's that could use new pads. Rather than order the standard pads for the BB7's, order EBC or Galfer for the J7, and install them immediately. Use the stock J7 pads as replacements for the BB7's.

I may be trying to solve a problem that potentially won't exist ( or may still exist despite the pad change ) but given my circumstance, I don't think I can go wrong with the plan I have conjured up.

Bob
I guess wait and see. The only pads I've ever used that never made noise in any condition were the Fibrax but it's hard to find them here in the states and they aren't as powerful as sintered. Even properly set up most will make noise at some point- like when they are wet, but will quet down once you clean the rotor and get some heat in them. So I guess I'd wait and see if you have any issues first. I like the stock BB7 pads myself but where I ride stays dry for the most part.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I like the stock pads in my BB7's, that's why I'm going to swap out the stock J7 pads and use them in the BB7's. I'll wait for others to chime in on what to use for the J7's. Could be that the stock pads will be fine, but since I already need a set for the other brakes, I'm going to put EBC or Galfers on the J7's and kill two birds with one stone. If the brakes still squeal with the EBC or Galfer, then I know it's a set up issue and will deal with it then.

Bob

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I ran J7s for two years and tried the Fribrax, Galfer, EBC Gold, every Avid pad ever made (I had mechs going way back and had a big selection fo Avid pads), Deltas, and a few others I can't remember now. I tried Avid wavy rotors, round, and polygons.

The Fibrax were noisy in the wet too. As were the Galfers. I had the best luck overall with the Avid C4 compound. They went to a C4 "G" that was not as good as the original C4 imo.

In the end I switched to Magura. Dead. Freaking. Silent. :)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The problem is that even after people get the new rotors, they use the old pads without resurfacing them. So you're mating an unevenly worn pad to a new rotor. In addition, people seem to have problems setting up calipers with the CPS washers. For some reason, people have trouble getting the calipers square to the rotor.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If this is the case

XSL_WiLL said:
The problem is that even after people get the new rotors, they use the old pads without resurfacing them. So you're mating an unevenly worn pad to a new rotor. In addition, people seem to have problems setting up calipers with the CPS washers. For some reason, people have trouble getting the calipers square to the rotor.
If I put GBC or Galfer pads on the J7, and properly align them squarely using the CPS washers, I should be golden, correct?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
If I put GBC or Galfer pads on the J7, and properly align them squarely using the CPS washers, I should be golden, correct?
I've had the stock Avid pads, both the gold and black backed pads with no issues. So as long as they're set up and broken in properly, they should be just fine.

You may want to inspect your CPS washers, make sure they aren't pitted or corroded. Clean them out, and use a little dab of grease, or Phil Wood oil between the CPS washers. Allign properly, and torque. You may want to give the wheel a little spin while dragging the lever.

Avid has a pretty good write-up on the bedding procedure.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
After a huge amount of fiddling around trying to get my J7's right, trying different pads compounds and rotors, I finally settled on the standard Avid pads with ordinary round Hayes rotors. I tried a whole lot of different rotors and pads but found that in the end, it just came down to .........>

The trick for me was setup. Making sure that the pads only contact the rotor braking surface and NOT the arms as well, doing the CPS washer trick like xsl_will said, and most importantly....breaking the pads in slowly and correctly, which means not going straight out and hammering the cr4p out of the brakes and pads when brand new.

Getting the pads aligned on the rotor properly when setting up, making sure that everything is clean and working correctly.

Mine are silent, except when wet. They squeel when wet, but that goes away as you brake and the pads dry the rotor surface.

R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.