Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Bushnell featherweight EBB in my Jones Diamond frame. I set it up last spring without any trouble but then had gradual slippage issues (losing chain tension). I pulled it all out, cleaned, greased, reinstalled, same thing. pulled, cleaned, greased, reinstalled but this time I began the process of snugging up after every ride for a couple of weeks. i wasn't trying to force the bolt but would apply about the same amount of pressure each time. sometimes it would move a bit and tighten up, other times it felt good so i left it alone.

after a couple weeks of paying very close attention, i stopped paying attention and everything was great for about 6 months. then i cleaned off some mud and realized the wedge on the non-drive side had pushed out far enough that the wings were deformed and flared out.

Bushnell support couldn't diagnose without me pulling it all out and showing them what i find. they speculated that i'll at least need new bolt and wedge kit for about 30 bucks. i may need new wings. in other words somewhere between 30 and 180 dollars.

i'm not having any problems with chain tension right now but i need to address this before i do. i'm not going to pull it apart until i know i can put it right back together. I'm thinking about buying a new EBB so worst case scenario i'll still be able to put it together and ride. After this experience i'm not sure i want another Bushnell. I saw a Da Vinci EBB that looked really nice. What do you know about the relative pro's and con's of these two options?

thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
When did you buy this? Don't they have a 1yr warranty? I'd contact Jeff about that. He may have some insight.

Personally, I never had slipping issues. Tightened per the torque spec (which was surprisingly not that much) and all is good. Just out of curiosity, though, where is your EBB positioned, looking from the drive side? Positioning the cranks 12-3 or 6-9 o'clock would be best to prevent slippage.

That said, the da vinci EBB looks nice. Although not sure if the serrated teeth are really necessary. No personal experience with one, though...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought the bike on 4/10/13 and built it over the following few weeks.

since i bought it from Jeff I contacted him first about the problem but he suggested i talk to Bushnell. I did and was hoping they'd warranty the part. they said "you probably will need a bolt and wedge kit and maybe even a new pair of wings." and quoted me about $30 for the bolt kit. I didn't check their wing price. i guess they think it's my fault (maybe it is i dunno).

cranks are at about 1-2 o'clock position viewed from drive side.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update. e-mailed with John at Bushnell again and he's going to comp the wedge and offer discounted wings. So while not "free" close enough to it that I'll stick with the Bushnell for now. maybe this is one more example of where e-mail kind of sucks. i wonder if it would have been better to just call and talk to John initially instead.

i also called Jeff and he said he has historically had such great luck with the Bushnell that he doesn't recommend any others. he also commented that he has routinely gone hardcore with tightening the bolts on some bushnell EBB's and never had one strip so maybe i didn't over torque it. who knows. i'm just going to get the spare parts, pull it out, clean, reinstall, tell bushnell what i find and hopefully ride off into the sunset with a smile.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sounds like you've got it sort of sorted. When I spoke to Jeff about the Bushnell set up, he never mentioned the torque setting. Essentially told me to get it "yay" tight. But I went by Bushnell's instructions (90 in/lb).

Surprised you're having issues. Hope the new parts work out better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.