Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to mountain biking, but I used to ride bmx for years. I am seriously considering a single speed bike that can be used as SS or geared. I'm currently looking at Niner SIR9 which uses their EBB2, but i have been reading on this forum about riders experiencing creaking or slipping of the EBB2 on the Niners. And riders have been saying its either hit or miss on this EBB2 setup and its a real hassle to mess with. I just want to ride and not worry about it. Not sure what to do, get the Niner SIR9 or go with another company? Anyone with a Niner have this issue on their 2014 model? If i don't go with the SIR9, what other frames should i be looking at? I really like the Canfield Nimble or the Salsa El Mariachi.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
With your BMX background you'll be fine with a sliding dropout. This is conjecture but I think that the EBB "solution" was born out of an inability of people to be able to adequately tension chains using sliding drops. Personally, I dislike every EBB setup I've ever had to deal with; they all eventually start to creak. The creaking isn't terminal but it does mean that if you are obsessive about your biking staying quiet like I am that you have a lot of work to keep things silent. Frequent disassembly and lubrication is what keeps EBB bikes quiet.

I haven't done much research on this topic but I do love what Canfield does (and they're local to me). One option might be this On-One if you're a large and like white: On-One Inbred 29er Single Speed LTD Edition | On - One

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies ppl. I really appreciate the feedback! I have been reading about Surly Karate Monkey and the Civilian Luddite, thoughts on these bikes?

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
Thanks for the replies ppl. I really appreciate the feedback! I have been reading about Surly Karate Monkey and the Civilian Luddite, thoughts on these bikes?
karate monkey is a great bike. i'm on my 4th. short chainstays and super nimble. with the track ends you can adjust the CS length as you desire.

niner's ebb has improved a lot, but an ebb still takes more maintenance to keep it creak free no matter who makes it or what method is used (wedge, pinch, clamp, etc.).

sliding drops can creak as well if they are not kept lubed and tight. less maintenance intensive than an ebb but more so than track ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
karate monkey is a great bike. i'm on my 4th. short chainstays and super nimble. with the track ends you can adjust the CS length as you desire.

niner's ebb has improved a lot, but an ebb still takes more maintenance to keep it creak free no matter who makes it or what method is used (wedge, pinch, clamp, etc.).

sliding drops can creak as well if they are not kept lubed and tight. less maintenance intensive than an ebb but more so than track ends.
Okay so is the creaking something i need to be concerned with or is just a matter of preference? Like if i want my bike to sound quiet or make noises while i'm pedaling?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts