Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Staggering sober
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you are running EBB's. I'm modifying a tandem cruiser and I'm interested in what you would recommend between the Easton and Bushnell EBBs and why.

Thanks

Tim

·
Staggering sober
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, maybe I should have started out by asking if and what EBB you're using, whether or not you like it, and why.

Anybody?

Bueller?

·
Staggering sober
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never mind, I found the tandem forum.

Thanks anyway.

·
Staggering sober
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The response in the tandem forum was even more dismal than this one.

Anybody else have a suggestion?

Tim

·
Staggering sober
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Co-Motion EBB

I saw those at WebCyclery didn't I? Why do you prefer those over others? I'm 6'4' and 220 lbs. I'm concerned about slippage.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,604 Posts
I don't know if Web carries them. I'm 6'3", 195#. I've just always used Co-Motion eccentrics. I have a custom Vulture SS with a Co-Motion eccentric. It's never slipped. My bike(s) employ 195mm cranks -- lots of torque. Never a problem. I also have a custom Co-Motion mountain bike but it's not an SS. Anyway, they make good stuff; years of experience. I know Dwan & Dan from the early days... early '90s... before they went worldwide.

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
TwoWheelinTim said:
The response in the tandem forum was even more dismal than this one.

Anybody else have a suggestion?
It's been less than 24hrs! And the tandem forum gets quiet in the winter.

- Cross-posted from the Tandem forum, since there's SS content...

My Tandem has 2 set-screw Phils eBBs. My single speeds have Bushnell, Phils set-screws, generic setscrew, and a full split-shell pinch bolt. I've pretty much used them all.

My preference is for Bushnell eBBs - there are several other expansion type eBBs, and I find the Bushnell's to be the best. Set screws are fine as long as your tolerances are tight, they are popular on cheaper tandems as they are simple and easy to make. I've never been happy with pinch-bolt eBBs, but they can be made to work well.

There are variations with each type, and some work better than others, but in general, they are all crap if the BB shell frame prep is not good. Any irregularities in the BB shell (ie: weld distortions) prevent the eBB insert from seating properly, and leads to creaking, regardless of type. The frame builder really makes the biggest difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts