Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked myself up a Gary Fisher Rig SS 29'er not to long ago and having a little trouble with the ecentric bottom bracket. I can loosen the bolt that holds it together, but the bracket does not get any looser. Had a little luck with hoping on the bike and pedaling up and down my hilly driveway a few times to get it loose, but that seems a little ridulous to have to do each time I need to tighten a chain for wear or switch out a rear cog.

Any advice on how to loosen up the wedge short of riding the bike with a loose bolt or whacking it with a rubber mallet?

"Go that way really fast. When something get's in your way, turn."

- Booger

·
Registered
156 Posts
All I do is lossen the bolt and use a hammer and blunt punch that fits in the allen head to knock it loose. Make sure you have enough threads still in contact so you don't damage them. I loosen it, then run it down to where it just start to get tight, then back it off a few turns, tap it and see if it needs to be backed off more. Better to do it in a few steps than damage threads.

There may be a better way!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my 09 has a flange-less chain ring bolt style insert that makes the tightening bolt work like a self extracting crank arm bolt (the top of the allen bolt hits the back of the insert and pushes against it)

G

·
make sure you loosen it up to the point it contacts the chain ring bolt style insert. Then back out further to force the wedge outward. I am guessing that you loosened it to the point it feels loose but not enough to hit the stop and force out the wedge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.