Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who here thinks my bars will escape from Chicago and arrive?? Who thinks Ebay will reopen the case?

• Ebay reopen the case

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Ti handlebar from a company in China. I paid about $80 for the bar March 19 2021. I wanted to test things out before ordering a couple of Ti forks.

I thought communication from the company was great. As we traded ideas on the rigid mtb fork and the road fork I was impressed. I was looking forward to getting a couple of custom Ti forks for a little over $300 each, where as here in US a custom Ti runs $1100-1400 each.

The seller checked a few months after the order was placed and the bar was in Chicago waiting on customs? A guy here on MTBR got his Ti bars from same company after a few weeks, but not me.

OK so I lost $80 dollars on Ebay; it happens. But the tough part was that I opened a case on Ebay to recover my $ but they closed it.
According to Ebay the reason was:
"We closed this request since there's been no activity for 21 business days." WTF over?"

Am I wrong in assuming Ebay may have been responsible for this "activity" or in charge of this "activity?' Or perhaps they could give a go at asking seller to reship bar??

There are lots of good buyers / sellers on Ebay. Since the late 90's I've bought bike parts from Ebay without any issues. And lots of bad folks also as I have had 2 cases of fraud in past 6 months on Ebay. Even with their huge fees I sell sometimes too.

Its only been 5 months so maybe my bars will arrive???

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you paid via PayPal just get a refund through them. I've had to do refunds with no communication from the seller multiple times over the years. I was refunded every time. They always side with the buyer. It's their default.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you paid via PayPal just get a refund through them. I've had to do refunds with no communication from the seller multiple times over the years. I was refunded every time. They always side with the buyer. It's their default.
I will try PayPal. I have just been lucky and really never had any issues until recently. Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hopefully the OP has better luck with PayPal than I did. Earlier this year I purchased a Park Tool Derailleur Alignment Gauge from a seller on Ebay. The seller shipped the item to an address in Stockton, CA; I'm in Las Cruces, NM. I tried notifying the seller of the error but received no response. I tried 2 more times with the same result. After 5 unsuccessful delivery attempts the shipping company returned the item to the seller. I never received it. Since the seller would not respond to my messages, I opened a claim with PayPal. Their response was that I should contact the seller and they closed the case. My next step was to file a resolution dispute with Ebay. Their response was that this was a PayPal issue. I finally filed a claim with my credit card company who took care of it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hopefully the OP has better luck with PayPal than I did. Earlier this year I purchased a Park Tool Derailleur Alignment Gauge from a seller on Ebay. The seller shipped the item to an address in Stockton, CA; I'm in Las Cruces, NM. I tried notifying the seller of the error but received no response. I tried 2 more times with the same result. After 5 unsuccessful delivery attempts the shipping company returned the item to the seller. I never received it. Since the seller would not respond to my messages, I opened a claim with PayPal. Their response was that I should contact the seller and they closed the case. My next step was to file a resolution dispute with Ebay. Their response was that this was a PayPal issue. I finally filed a claim with my credit card company who took care of it.
Now that I think of it all of my refunds have been after returning items. Once I posted a tracking number I got my refund. I have no experience with items that never showed up. CC is a good call which might be faster and easier than dealing with PayPal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been 184 days since I ordered/paid or the Ti handle bar from Tioray.s. I did not received the $98.00 bar.

Paypal just closed the case "in the sellers favor as seller provided a valid proof of delivery."

Win some, lose some... It's a shame because the folks always returned e-mail the next day and were great to work with. I was testing the waters before I ordered a couple of Ti forks. I was really testing for quality as cost was a given.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No they really didn't want anything to do with the issue and "closed the request since there has been no activity in 25 days." This after I asked the seller where for the 4th or 5th time to look into the issue.

I'll ask PayPal to send the proof. I think it was sent via "China Post." After 4 - 5 months I asked seller to check on it again. They said it was in customs in Chicago. I assume the US Postal service was the final carrier. I am sure they will be able to provide the information in a professional and timely manner.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
I stopped buying from eBay more than a decade ago. Either it goes smoothly, or it goes wrong. The majority of my issues had to do with item not as described. You buy something listed as "new", factory sealed, never used, whatever. Pictures of the item appears new, sealed... seems to support the description...

Then the open, rusty, clearly used "boat anchor" arrives. You contact the seller... you open a case.... and your option is to return the item at your expense (clearly the item was not as described, and undoubtedly fraud)... but of course the return shipping is on you. eBay closes the case, the negative feedback you have left gets erased and the seller is free to move on to their next victim.

Some sellers are great, but eventually the bad apples (usually individuals) catch up with you making eBay a gamble. If you have good luck, great. But the time and hoops you have to jump through and spend to recover money from people who are clearly commiting fraud is not worth it...

We all know who owns PayPal... so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Easier to avoid.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It has been 184 days since I ordered/paid or the Ti handle bar from Tioray.s. I did not received the $98.00 bar.

Paypal just closed the case "in the sellers favor as seller provided a valid proof of delivery."

Win some, lose some... It's a shame because the folks always returned e-mail the next day and were great to work with. I was testing the waters before I ordered a couple of Ti forks. I was really testing for quality as cost was a given.
What does the tracking info show? Does it show that the item has been delivered or is it still floating around in the system somewhere? As I suggested in an earlier post, you're best bet is with your credit card company although after 184 days you might have exceeded the time limit for filing a claim.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,403 Posts
Scammers being scammers...sounds like scammers have discovered loop holes in Ebay and Paypal based on some of the shared stories in this thread.

Shipping to the wrong address? That checks all the boxes to protect the seller: product paid for, product shipped, delivery attempted repeatedly, product is then returned or lost, and the buyer has zero protection.

Stop using Ebay and Paypal. A $100 ti bar which should be $300; the deal is too good to be true, right? Kind of like $300 Yeti coolers being sold for $80.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I paid for the bar via an account I use for paypal. Ok... used for paypal, so no credit card protection. I thought about the price sounding good, but only bought it after a guy on MTBR received his. I think his took 90 days or so to arrive in US.

Was only $80...its all good. At least I tested them out first as I was looking for a Ti fork or two. Lesson learned I'll go back to those guys at Ti Cycles Fabrications in Portland. They delivered on a custom steel fork for me in 2019. Was a little pricy and I could have gotten away with one of their off the self units, but glad I did the custom thing on that one.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Paypal refunded me yesterday for a Chain Reaction Cycles order I didn't receive. The tracking number showed they mailed it to an address 100 miles away. CRC never even bothered to respond to PP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.