Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

OEM takeoffs from a Specialized Epic
DT Swiss hubs (Spec Stout front and 240 level rear) 28h front, 32h rear
4.2d rims
Red anodized aluminum DT nipples
double-butted spokes front, triple-butted rear
10mm RWS skewer for the rear was included, I've got to find a 9mm skewer
1631g total with rim strips, but no skewers
I'm going to mount them up with stan's rim strips and tubeless Small Block 8's.

I've been keeping an eye out for this wheelset for a few years. I just kept searching for DT wheelsets every few weeks.
It is almost a pound lighter than my current wheels. You can probably find the completed auction, but I will say I paid less than $200. The rear skewer alone sells for $55. I'd estimate these would cost 400-500 retail, conservatively.

Keep the faith. The good deals are still out there, especially this time of year.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yep, sometimes I would hate to be one of these sellers that doesn't use a reserve. My most recent adoption was 5 pack of Saint CL rotors for $35. Even at wholesale or oem pricing that seller only got back enough money to pay for one of them. Did I need them? No, not really. But since I have several Saint hubs I always have my eye out for good rotor deals on ebay. Best deal previously was about $15ea. Patience :), it pays off eventually.

·
I can't weld
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
92gli said:
Unfortunately its going to cost you over $50 for the DT RWS for the front. Here it is.
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=127966
Actually I've found them as low as $39 @ a webstore. Prices are slowly dropping.

I'm considering using a 9mm bolt-on axle since I rarely remove my front wheel since going tubeless.
One user suggested Hadley's bolt-on thru-axle for $24. It looks nice & light.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Sometimes ebay is the only way to get some high demand, low volume Cannondale parts. For example, their Hollowgram SL crankset. It's like 14 gazillion dollars from and LBS and you have to order it. When it comes in, who knows. On ebay, you can get some new bike take offs for 800-900. But at least you know they have it. Once you get that crankset, you are in heaven. But, you go through bidding hell to get there............

·
Registered
440 Posts
OEM takeoffs from a Specialized Epic
DT Swiss hubs (Spec Stout front and 240 level rear) 28h front, 32h rear
4.2d rims
Red anodized aluminum DT nipples
double-butted spokes front, triple-butted rear
10mm RWS skewer for the rear was included, I've got to find a 9mm skewer
1631g total with rim strips, but no skewers
I'm going to mount them up with stan's rim strips and tubeless Small Block 8's.

I've been keeping an eye out for this wheelset for a few years. I just kept searching for DT wheelsets every few weeks.
It is almost a pound lighter than my current wheels. You can probably find the completed auction, but I will say I paid less than $200. The rear skewer alone sells for $55. I'd estimate these would cost 400-500 retail, conservatively.

Keep the faith. The good deals are still out there, especially this time of year.
I bought the same wheelset about year ago and destroyed them in few months. Both wheels folded: the front in steep turn on frozen rutted trail, the rear one in slow motion crash when I slid on it. A guy who sells specialized mentioned they have to be checked for spoke tension right out of the box. see for details http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9758

Anyway the hubs are great

·
I can't weld
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alex_k said:
I bought the same wheelset about year ago and destroyed them in few months. Both wheels folded: the front in steep turn on frozen rutted trail, the rear one in slow motion crash when I slid on it. A guy who sells specialized mentioned they have to be checked for spoke tension right out of the box. see for details http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9758

Anyway the hubs are great
Yeah, I read your posts when I was researching this wheelset. One difference is that I'm certain that these are not Revolution spokes. Specs say SuperComps, which are not nearly as thin. These are definately not butted 2.0-1.5 like the Revo's.
Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Indiefab said:
Yeah, I read your posts when I was researching this wheelset. One difference is that I'm certain that these are not Revolution spokes. Specs say SuperComps, which are not nearly as thin. These are definately not butted 2.0-1.5 like the Revo's.
Thanks
Yes, certainly not revolutions based on weight. I had 4.2d/240 set with RWS and the set weighed 1560g with skewers.

A few years of checking ebay is more than a little bit of patience....

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
I can't weld
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dysfunction said:
$36 @ treefort bikes. well, for a steel one..

unfortunately I couldn't link
Yeah, we're talking about the hollow 9mm RWS thru-bolt.
The steel one is a regular 5mm.

I ended up getting the 9mm for $42 from outsideoutfitters.com along with a bunch of stan's parts. They had the rim strips and rim tape for a good price.

Everything is mounted and sitting in a very cold garage, waiting for the snow to melt. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I would expect to see more of these wheels on ebay; you see a TON of people dumping the 420sl rim with the 370 hub or Shimano- or myriad variations thereof, mostly from Spesh. Actually some good deals on those for around a hundred clams (Onyx level hubs).

THAT said, i did pick up a wheelset such as Indiefab's for cheap, both RWS thru bolts, and 240 innards on the rear hub. But its rep does have me spooked. I have NO problem with the supercomp spokes nor the 32 rear hub as I have built sets with both on the older 4.1d rim/240 hubs, and have beat the living hell out of them- and they are still going. I know I put very high tension on them, kept them locked and thankfully damn trustworthy.

I will tension my 'ebay grab' up about as high as possible, but it does have me deduce that:

The 4.2 rim is just not doing it (or just the 28 spoke front, or both are just under-tensioned/poorly built as alex_k reports- both F and Rear?
I would expect to see more of these Spesh wheels comin' through ebay though. But either they're "keepers", or being destroyed before they can be switched out and sold.
Definitely going on the stand before riding, otherwise they seem a damn nice set up.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
I can't weld
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
grandsalmon said:
I would expect to see more of these wheels on ebay; you see a TON of people dumping the 420sl rim with the 370 hub or Shimano- or myriad variations thereof, mostly from Spesh. Actually some good deals on those for around a hundred clams (Onyx level hubs).

THAT said, i did pick up a wheelset such as Indiefab's for cheap, both RWS thru bolts, and 240 innards on the rear hub. But its rep does have me spooked. I have NO problem with the supercomp spokes nor the 32 rear hub as I have built sets with both on the older 4.1d rim/240 hubs, and have beat the living hell out of them- and they are still going. I know I put very high tension on them, kept them locked and thankfully damn trustworthy.

Thanks for the info guys.
Any update on your wheels? Mine have been flawless so far through a spring full of rides. Couldn't be happier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.