Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have something listed up for sale on ebay. It's a somewhat pricey item($400+) and this is my first time ever selling on Ebay. I have one bid on the item and it kind of struck me as a little odd. This bidder created their account on the same day that they bid on my item, so there is no feedback on this person. Payment will be going through Paypal.

Should I be skeptical of this buyer? Like I said, I am a newb when it comes to selling on Ebay. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
ncfisherman said:
Hi all -

I have something listed up for sale on ebay. It's a somewhat pricey item($400+) and this is my first time ever selling on Ebay. I have one bid on the item and it kind of struck me as a little odd. This bidder created their account on the same day that they bid on my item, so there is no feedback on this person. Payment will be going through Paypal.

Should I be skeptical of this buyer? Like I said, I am a newb when it comes to selling on Ebay. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hard to say. At least as a seller, you are not gonna ship until you get credited.

I am always a little leery of very new accounts or people with very little feedback.

Some sellers say anyone with under 10 (or whatever) positive feedbacks must contact by message before bidding.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,768 Posts
That's The Way Everyone Starts

ncfisherman said:
This bidder created their account on the same day that they bid on my item, so there is no feedback on this person.
If everyone was leary of 0 feedback and new bidders eBay would have disappeared 10 years ago.
I've been jerked around and hosed by members with triple and quadruple digit feedback far more than members with single digit feedback.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If zero feedback is really freaking you out, eBay allows you to edit your "preferences" and block anyone with zero feedback from bidding.

As Uncle stated, DO NOT SHIP the item until you have verified that the money has indeed been transferred into your PayPal account. Once that has occurred, you are pretty safe.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Good points, all around.

I think I'll try that out Margaritaman. How do I go about cancelling bids?

I'll definitely wait for the money to hit my paypal account, prior to shipping. Even after it hits my paypal acct, how secure is it?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
archer said:
I didn't register with e-bay just to cruise their auctions.
I doubt too many people register unless they have something to buy or sell.
exactly...I have yet to register, but will someday if something catches my eye.
Maybe that's the situation with the bidder - your item caught his eye.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Shayne said:
If everyone was leary of 0 feedback and new bidders eBay would have disappeared 10 years ago.
I've been jerked around and hosed by members with triple and quadruple digit feedback far more than members with single digit feedback.
Being a little leery means to be cautious-nothing wrong with that.

I am far from an Ebay pro, but one rule I go by is on a high-dollar item from a newer seller, I ask for a phone number to talk about the item. Some sellers have refused, so I just ignore that item. When a seller is willing to say, "yeah, call me at [whatever number] for any questions", I feel secure and have not been let down. If someone is scamming on Ebay, the last thing they want is to have a conversation with you (unless they are a REALLY good scammer) or give up a phone number.

·
Suffers From Binge Biking
412 Posts
I probably wouldn't be too worried about it. Chances are they created an account because they saw what you were selling and finally signed up. In my experience, ebay scammers usually like to contact the seller without bidding.

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
I think you are likely worrying over nothing. Don't fear PayPal - they are in business to make money, but they are very secure. Sell the new bidder the item, ship it when his payment posts in your PayPal account. A lot of sellers don't like new bidders (0 feedback) because they don't pay for items after they win auctions.

If the guy pays, your money will be safe w/PP and you can ship the item. One note- for 75 or so cents, you can get delivery confirmation... definitely do that, as you can combat someone claiming that they never got the item.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In addition to delivery confirmation get shipping insurance as well. Always best to protect yourself and it is fairly cheap.

I would not worry about the new status and I would not find it weird he/she has not asked questions. I've bought plenty on ebay and rarely ask a question unless sufficient info isn't given. For a $400.00 item I would assume you have listed the item with plenty of info.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ncfisherman said:
More good info...Thanks for the tips on delivery confirmation and insurance.

Got 1 day to go...can't wait to move them. Thank you all for helping out an Ebay Newb.
Since your item is over $250 if you're sending it USPS it must have signature confirmation to qualify for PP's seller protection. Just be aware that no matter the terms of your auction you offer a 45 to 180 day no questions asked return policy and you're responisble for any damage that could incur during shipping so pack well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, you need to reqire a signature for the package since PP will reject claims for anything over $250(including shipping) without an online viewable signature. It's called signature proof with Fedex and is online viewable.

Delivery confirmation is a destination scan used by the USPS to indicate a package was delivered and signature confirmation requires the package to be signed for before the USPS releases it. Delivery confirmation is used because the USPS doesn't have tracking.

Pack the item like it'll be dropped from 10' because it probably will and they're quick to reject claims for insufficient packaging.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
I've been browsing ebay for years unregistered, but a month ago I saw this Spesh Bighit SPEC frame for $200 listed as Buy It Now price. I acted immediately, and the frame is now right here beside me.

This thread struck me as yet another reminder of how naive I am. To think of it, a first time buyer, zero reputation, international shipment, and to Russia of all places. Nevertheless I was for some (irrational as it turns out) reason pretty sure that the US seller would not be suspicious of me. Perhaps it did help that I used the Buy It Now option.

The package insurance suggestion above by KPVSR is very to the point. And while I'm at it, I'd also confirm that USPS EMI or insured PMI are best for shipping expensive items from USA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.