Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only ever purchased two bikes on ebay. One was my dads bike years and years ago, and just recently I purchased one for myself.

The bike itself looked to be in practically new condition, a few paint scuffs but nothing to worry about. I received the bike in a pretty badly damaged box, didn't phase me much. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't receive a front wheel skewer. Not a big deal, I have extras. The next thing I came across was trouble getting the headset adjusted properly. Classic case, either too tight or I wasn't able to take the play out of it. So I took it to my trusted mechanic hoping he would able to make it right. I got a call saying that the bike was missing the crown race and I had the option of either locating the race on my own or replacing the headset. I opted to replace the headset for my own peace of mind. Its just a bit frustrating that I basically received an incomplete bike. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, not looking for any reimbursement since I got a pretty good deal as it is.

Wondering if there are others out there with similar experiences purchasing bikes online.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bought a "lightly used fork".
Lightly used meant used for a season of racing, with a creaky CSU and worn down stanchions.

But dude, you definitely have grounds for a partial refund.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UEDan that’s a bummer, did you get much use out of the fork?

I sent a note to the seller, still waiting to hear what he has to say about it. I don’t intend to chase him down, but we will see. Buyer beware I guess. I’m still really happy with the bike, just a minor setback.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
One time, brace yourselves for this, I had my item show up in THREE DAYS despite choosing two day shipping. Barbaric right?

·
Cycologist
10,123 Posts
Thinking back through it, I guess I've had kind of mixed results buying bikes off of eBay but in the end, all was good.

Bought a complete SS conversion. Got it and the box was partly torn open and everything had pretty much just been thrown in loose. The rear wheel was missing a spacer so I contacted the seller. He shipped me a whole new wheel, though it had bad spokes or something, which he had told me about but he thought I could maybe get the part I needed off it. I couldn't. But I took it to my LBS and they gave me the part I needed, really just a simple washer.

Bought a Superlight frame. Got it and realized it was actually a couple of years older than the posting claimed (one of my earliest postings on this site was asking for verification on the year). Contacted the seller and he PayPal'ed me back some money. I think it was an honest mistake on his part. Lots of people misstate the year, either by accident or not.

Bought a tri bike at the last minute. Realized it was coming from a couple miles down the road from my office, LBS that sold stuff they were trying to get rid of under a different name on eBay (the bike had been a demo, I think). I contacted them and asked if I could just pick it up and save the $100 shipping fee. They said it was already packed and they wouldn't let me. I think the bike sold for less than the expected and they were making a little bit off the shipping, so I kinda understand. But when I got it, it had an aluminum seatpost rather than the carbon it came with and the listing had stated that it was all original. I emailed them and they told me to drop by and swap out the post, which I did.

I had won a bike for a really good price, local pick-up and then the seller refused to let me pick it up and wouldn't even respond to me. It wasn't that great of a bike, old Raleigh road bike or something. I tried to get eBay to help me out but wasn't much they would do for me. I can't remember if I was supposed to pay for it when I picked it up or the seller was required to send me an invoice to pay or what, but I wasn't out any money and I finally gave up. I'm sure I won the auction for less than the seller was willing to accept for the bike, though he had listed it with no reserve. "Local pick-ups only" can usually mean really low prices.

Bought a Jamis Dragon at an incredible price. I could tell it was a little quirky from the listing, it had been used the last ten years as a commuter and only had a rear brake. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to be getting; in fact, for what I paid I wasn't sure I would be getting anything based on my earlier experience. It only received a few bids and I won for not much more than the starting price. It was as described, only thing that was off was that the seatpost was the wrong size but even so, it hadn't ovalized the seattube or anything.

·
No known cure
5,622 Posts
I sold a frame to a guy who lived on Kauai. He chose the shipping which was the cheapest and the slowest, then gave me neg feedback. By the time I caught it, it was too late to contest and somehow, just that one neg feedback knocked my 1000+ transactions and 100% feedback score to 56%. I called ebay and explained and also let them know that the low feedback score hurt their bottom line too but they didn't care. That was two years ago and I haven't sold anything on there since, but I've sold a ton of crap on FB without any fees.

·
Cycologist
10,123 Posts
I've heard a lot of horror stories about buyers ripping off sellers. Something is sold and shipped. Buyer complains it's damaged or something else and forces seller to take it back and refund money. Seller gets it back and sees it is damaged but realizes its not the actual item they sold/shipped but have no way to prove it so they are stuck.

I haven't sold a lot, did sell the Superlight frame and I've sold a shock and a few other parts and I haven't had any issues but be careful.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I have bought tons of stuff on eBay and never actually had a problem. Which is amazing in itself. My one experience with Pinkbike was bad. Shock came with a huge gouge on one side, front wheel was cracked and had to be replaced. Although lots of picture of the bike where sent, looking back you can see that angles were taken to hide the damage. Honestly, would never buy a bike off Pinkbike again.

·
well mannered lout
3,259 Posts
I use CL to buy and sell so I have direct contact and can inspect what I'm buying. I also call back on everyone I sell to making sure they are happy. I'm a bike guy first and business guy last.

·
Cycologist
10,123 Posts
I use CL to buy and sell so I have direct contact and can inspect what I'm buying. I also call back on everyone I sell to making sure they are happy. I'm a bike guy first and business guy last.
Yeah, I prefer to stick with CL if I can. I bought all my road bikes and my most recent mountain bike off of CL and sold that tri bike and have bought and sold lots of parts on CL. Sold a guy a set of tires this week; he PM'ed me a photo of them on his wife's bike the next day. I enjoy meeting people and talking about BIKES!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.