Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a black on black xfusion enix rl2 with a *straight* steer tube for $150, new! Buycyclestuffonline has them.

It's my second xfusion fork, and I think they're alright. Well, it's a hell of a lot better than rockshox motion control junk, but not as good as charger or grip2 stuff. Still very good stuff. At 1800g it's not too bad weight wise either.

I know how hard it can be to find higher end straight forks in good shape, so I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a sweep RL2 27.5 from him last year for dirt cheap too. Its a little harsh out of the box, but its tuneable. I reshimmed mine and it works great.

Its actually pretty similar to a pike RC. The fix is similar too. Its really a very good fork, this is a shocking price! But straight steerer, qr, 26er forks arent exactly hot items.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Converted my old straight steerer 26er to 27.5 with one of the velvets. It was a good fork!
Note of you do this you may have to add a bumper to reduce travel by 10mm to prevent tire bottoming on the crown

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one will fit 27.5 (same thing, add the bumper). I emailed the dude and got one shipped for a little bit cheaper.

My girlfriends old minute was finally done after 10+ years. Everything with a straight steerer is so old and beat now, its nice to get something new and functional. Stepping down from a 20mm axle to 9qr kinda sucks, but whatever. Cant complain for the price.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it... and there were problems.

Installed it and its plush. Uhh, too plush. It'll lock out, but LSC is too fast and rebound is too fast. These forks dont do fast. Something is wrong.

Pulled it apart and the check shim on the rebound damper is too small to cover the ports. Damn! Luckily I had shims from other projects. But a brand new fork shouldnt have straight up wrong parts that dont work installed.

I installed the correct parts. Then I went further and reshimmed the compression damper. It actually has a midvalve and a high speed stack, so its pretty damn tuneable. I reshimmed the rebound stack to run the shims more than the free bleed.

Its dialed now. It works correctly, its damped correctly and... well, theres nothing else brand new with a straight steerer anyway!

If you guys have an old bike kicking around that needs a 100mm fork, this is the ticket.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,101 Posts
Been watching this thread...so, if I don't know how to reshim or make it behave properly is there a tutorial floating around or is it just try to wade through the other X-Fusion rebuild thread? I got lost in there a couple times already to try to change the travel on an old Velvet. For some reason I have trouble wrapping my head around what's going on and need to find the "Intermediate Level Suspension for Dummies" guidebook.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Just curious, does anyone know if this fork can be lowered to 80mm or less travel.
Does it have a negative spring under the air piston like their higher end dampers? If so just put spacers between the neg spring and the air piston. I've used fox spacers to drop HLR dampers down to 110, more spacers should drop it to 80. Spacers are easier to use than x fusion's step system if your fork happens to have that.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In short, the RL2 damper is WAY overdamped, so all you have to do is unscrew the top cap (whole damper comes out) and remove most of the shims from the mid-valve. That alone transforms the fork.

If its not enough, you can pull the damper again and pull shims from the high speed stack. The lockout softens, but so does damping overall.

Fork doesnt even have to come off the bike. For getting into tuning, its pretty cool!

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,101 Posts
In short, the RL2 damper is WAY overdamped, so all you have to do is unscrew the top cap (whole damper comes out) and remove most of the shims from the mid-valve. That alone transforms the fork.

If its not enough, you can pull the damper again and pull shims from the high speed stack. The lockout softens, but so does damping overall.

Fork doesnt even have to come off the bike. For getting into tuning, its pretty cool!
Sweet, that helps a lot. Thank you!

Especially good since I never bother to lock out the fork anyway. :)

Text White Line Font Black-and-white

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if you are able to increase the travel from 120mm to 140mm on the the X-Fusion Enix RL2 fork? I actually saw this thread and started researching knowing that this was a budget build it was between the Suntour Epixon and the X-Fusion Enix and went with the Enix. It actually arrives this Tuesday 06/09/2020 and I wanted to know if it truly is the same as the others which can be adjusted to 140mm. I can't fid anything online directly associated with this fork or specifically the Enix. Look forward to hearing from someone on this, since I hope to test this out the following weekend!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates?

I am looking seriously into picking one of these up even though they have got up in price a little, can anyone comment on how they are liking the xfusion enix and its durability because some people had reliability issues near the end of the rl2 tuning and service thread?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking seriously into picking one of these up even though they have got up in price a little, can anyone comment on how they are liking the xfusion enix and its durability because some people had reliability issues near the end of the rl2 tuning and service thread?
KFerg,

I have been enjoying my time on this X-Fusion Enix and haven't really had any issues other than the lockout switch recently like popped out of place and now I have physically push down on the forks to figure out where it is at. Honestly for the price they work great and the rebound knob actually functions also. I had heard that their internals were the same as the other rl2's which you could increase travel to 140mm, but let me save you some time by letting you know that they are not. You can lower but no increase the travel. I use to have a 120mm Suntour XCM which would beat the crap out of me aside from the bike itself being very harsh, so the difference was huge. I noticed it on descents as the new forks saved me from a couple of spills and also noticed it with technical climbing it felt much more planted and capable. Considering that I put this on a Diamondback Hook that I purchased new like 4 years ago for under $600, it was a great upgrade. Hope this was helpful and stay stoked!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.