Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I did OK on this one. Under 400 clams. 1992 Litespeed 'Mountain'. I wasn't absolutely sure it was actually a Litespeed until I contact them and they told me it was for sure. We sold a couple back in the day so I knew some of the detail were right. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them 'cause they are Southern. In any case the thing is pretty spotless and I don't mean the missing decals. It looks like it was hardly ever ridden and shows mostly wear from being on a shelf someplace. There is very little wear from chain slap or suck. I'm sending it back to them so they can press out the head tube reducers and replace them with ones for 1 1/8. I plan on building it for my wife with mostly vintage parts except for the new P2 fork and Pretty and Strong King headset.

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks much better than newer litespeeds!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Dat's killah. Can't wait to see it all done. I just built a grey and pink roadie for my so and it turned out sweet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture! Should build up real nice. Has some details that are the same as my '91 Fat Bastard, like the rear brake bridge and pressed in head set reducer. I have always wondered if I would be able to put in an 1 1/8 fork if I wanted. Interesting that it still has the under the bottom bracker front derailleur cable routing. A pink King headset would look cool on that frame. Lucky wife.

Outside!

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may take a while to peice it together. The fellow I talked to at Litespeed said 4 to 6 weeks to replace the head tube sleeves. They also said they woun't send the sleeves out to a dealer to press in locally.

I have slowly been building up a pile of parts for this thing though. I'll post up pics as it comes together.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,369 Posts
Am I missing something? Are these sleeves/reducers somehow integral and different from your run of the mill reducer? If not, they just pound out with a headset cup removal tool. Any shop worth having an open sign on the door will have the tool, and the whole process, removal, and install of new cups, takes under 5 minutes. Again, not be a smarty, am I missing something? Also, 4 to 6 weeks seems a bit intense for such a seemingly simple thing......... :thumbsup:

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Am I missing something? Are these sleeves/reducers somehow integral and different from your run of the mill reducer? If not, they just pound out with a headset cup removal tool. Any shop worth having an open sign on the door will have the tool, and the whole process, removal, and install of new cups, takes under 5 minutes. Again, not be a smarty, am I missing something? Also, 4 to 6 weeks seems a bit intense for such a seemingly simple thing......... :thumbsup:
I had one of these early Litespeed frames and the sleeves are fixed in place somehow. They won't come out with a headset remover.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Carsten said:
looks like Kona (Spinner??) is making the P2 again with 1" ahead steerer tube

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360028959

and the old 1" P2s are still regularly for sale, especially in the UK.

maybe it is easier to just keep the 1" head set?

Carsten
One inch forks are fairly plentiful. I myself have a number that I plan on getting rid of soon. I'd save the trouble and go 1".

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I already had a P2 in 1 1/8 as well as the Pretty and Strong King headset. As goofy as it sounds, the P&S headset is what I wanted to build a bike around. Susan Komen Foundation is pretty important to me.

Regarding the 1" P2, I contact Wiggle over a week ago and they won't ship to the US, only UK and mainland Europe. And I contacted Kona and they said the forks Wiggle is selling must be NOS, because they aren't actually making 1 inch steerer forks anymore.

Also, the head tube reducers on an old Litespeed are just pressed into place (maybe a little glue too?), but pressing them out doesn't result in a 1 1/8 inch ID on the head tube, it's actually closer to 1 3/16.

Besides, 1 inch may be plentiful, but 1 1/8 is the current standard and way more plentiful.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hope you have better luck with the HO brakes than I did. 3 out of 4 of them cracked on me the first time I really used them.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Sweet Bike!! I always liked those.

It would sure look sweet with a Ti flat Bar. Litespeed made some bulge flat bars around that era I believe.

very nice :thumbsup:

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Dang. I had one just like it, in fact bought in 1992, neon yellow decals and all. Gaudy as all get out originally. Ended up trading it 6 years ago (via long-distance MTBR transaction), plus some cash (d'oh!), for my first Yeti DH bike. The Litespeed had full M900 XTR, Mavic 231, etc. I got so burned. So.

Anyhoo, this is how the '92 Mountain looked after I got it back from Litespeed after being refinished and redecaled with the 97ish decal set - and to have the reducer removed from the head tube to restore it to 1-1/8". I recall when the question arose at the time I ordered this frame, that the Cambria dude convinced me to order it reduced to 1", reasoning all the ancillary parts will be lighter, therefore, with a smaller head tube. So wise (did we think) we were then at the infancy of 1-1/8" and suspension forks. Had a Manitou 1 on it when new. BTW - the thing is NOT suspension ready, so be aware of that.

Nice score, and stick with rigid.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Couldn't resist...

throwing out a coupla' pics of the '92 LS Mountain 1x9 I just finished having built.

Original ti forks, original ti bar.

It's back in the shop getting Direct Curve 5's, Love Levers and a Thumbie.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
fwiw...

I posted this bike in the "save some weight" forum a couple of weeks ago asking what I could do to get her from 23.5 pounds to sub 20 and got 0.0 answers.

Did I ask the wrong question?

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
disraeli said:
I posted this bike in the "save some weight" forum a couple of weeks ago asking what I could do to get her from 23.5 pounds to sub 20 and got 0.0 answers.

just alter the scale and you will get 20lbs. sriously: there is no need to drop weight there.. unless you are a cat1 climber.

·
Registered
404 Posts
disraeli said:

Maybe I can help you, being a weight-weenie myself...

This needs some drastic action man!
You seems to lighten it up with new brake and shift levers.

Seat: Selle Italia SLR, Tune SpeedNeedle, or equiv.; - 50-100g, maybe even more
Seatpost: KCNC, New Ultimate or Extralite; -100g
Brakes: Vuelta Mag, FRM or Extralite - Those XT's are heavy!; -300g
Rear der: Dura-Ace 7800; -70g
Cranks: Race Face Next LP, Extralite, FRM, etc. with Extralite ring; -50g, maybe even more
BB: some titanium; -70g
Grips: Extralite; -100g ?
QR Skewers: SRP / Control tech ti bolt; -70g (at least)

Weight savings: -810g

Tires: Continental Grand Prix 26x1"; weight savings ??
Wheels: Tune, FRM, etc. hubs, Notubes rims, Revo or X-ray spokes

I used to own this 19.35lb '95 Haro Impulse.
http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=161

Hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts