Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold a Specialized stem on Ebay. It was one of the adjustable ones with the shim that lets you adjust from +15 degrees to +8 degress. In the listing, I made no mention of the top cap and bolt. Niether were they shown in the photogragh included in the listing. It never even occured to me to include them.

So, I ship the stem out to the action winner, he receives it and immediatly starts sending me Emails demanding that I ship him the top cap and bolt! I offered to ship them to him for only my shipping cost (basically giving him the parts) as I realized after looking more closely at the top cap that it is asemetrical. I doubt that I will have much use for it as I don't plan on using an adjustable stem again.

Am I being a unreasonable? Is it "common knowledge" that these stems come with the top cap and bolt? What would you do in my shoes?

·
EDR
10,442 Posts
Always cover your a$$ when listing. Be more specific then you think you need to be caus it will only help your own sale. Thats just my opinion. If most people would assume the cap came with this type of stem then maybe you should have clearly stated the parts to be sold, maybe you did, I don't know.

I don't think you did anything wrong, buyers are often clueless. Just to get it done and make everyone happy, ship him the caps, at his cost or yours, whatever...

Next time state EXACTLY (in big bold letters like THIS) what is included so no moron can call foul play....

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Since it is a unique shape I'd have included it anyways. I would in the future be very specific about what your part sale includes and very specific what it doesn't include. Way too many people are idiots and demand things accordingly.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I offered to ship him the cap, and only asked to be reimbursed my shipping expense. You would think that I asked the guy for his first born! He replied with full caps yelling about selling a car without the keys. Very unreasonable IMHO.

So, I am a clueless noob here? I honestly have not seen top caps being sold with the stems at my LBS. Maybe they are holding out on me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would just pay for shipping and send the cap away to the buyer. It is something the buyer needs in this situation since it's an assymetrical cap that's specific to the stem.

The small cost of shipping the cap is not worth the big problem that it is causing.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agree...

frankenbike said:
I would just pay for shipping and send the cap away to the buyer. It is something the buyer needs in this situation since it's an assymetrical cap that's specific to the stem.

The small cost of shipping the cap is not worth the big problem that it is causing.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
What are we talking about here, two or three dollars? Come on, it's not worth all of the friction that it's causing. Not to mention, if you're a frequent e-bay seller, he could screw your feedback.

·
Registered
804 Posts
DoctorJD said:
What are we talking about here, two or three dollars? Come on, it's not worth all of the friction that it's causing. Not to mention, if you're a frequent e-bay seller, he could screw your feedback.
I bet it would be less than a dollar in stamps. I agree, just drop it in an envelope and be done with it.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
When I read the post first - I figure the top cap is part of the headset not the stem. But if the top cap is specific to the stem then it has to go with the stem - espically if the buyer can't use it until the cap is there - because of the shape. You can send it to him for 49 cents in a padded envelope.

Later
Fred

·
Registered
981 Posts
Fast Freddy said:
When I read the post first - I figure the top cap is part of the headset not the stem. But if the top cap is specific to the stem then it has to go with the stem - espically if the buyer can't use it until the cap is there - because of the shape. You can send it to him for 49 cents in a padded envelope.

Later
Fred
If Fast Freddy thinks it should go, then it should! He's the master of top caps ;)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
You messed up, so the buyer isn't out of line, but you are in requesting a second shipping payment to make the item you sold him work.

Send it out and stop being so cheap over a couple dollars taken out of your bottom line.
If your ad didn't show the cap or bolt, you didn't mess up. Auctions are kind of a what you see is what you get kind of thing. You didn't mention it, he didn't ask.

As for shipping it, that's your call. I can't imagine it's more than a buck to ship the stuff to him, but with the attitude he's copping, I'm not sure I'd feel inclined to drop it in the mail either.

By the way, what are you asking him for shipping these things, anyway?

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did ship it

It cost me less than a buck to put in an envelope. My original plan was to ship in a box and would have cost more. I feel badly about the whole thing, I just wish that this guy had not been such a jerk about it. Included in my most recent Email to him was a link to this thread. I told him that I was sending it to him ONLY because of the replies that I received from you good folks here. And that I found his actions to be quite infantile. Oh well, I hope that he will be happy now.

As far as the stem is concerned, I talked a guy at one of the LBS's. He said that when they sold stems there, they did not come with top caps. He also went on to say that you can use any top cap with that particular stem. I checked the Specialized site, and the top cap is included with the stem according to the web site. It also specified that it was asemetric. I guess that I wasn't paying much attention as I had not noticed that before.

I was holding onto the top cap because I have not seen them being sold with the stem and thought that I might need it for my next build. Sorta selfish on my part. I guess that I was led astray by my LBS.

We will see what happens next.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
eatdrinkride made a pretty good point.

No need to be unnecessarily wordy...but it's always good to error on the side of more info. Disclose everything and everyone will be better off in the end.

The other thing that's probably as important, if not more so....pictures. Good pictures and lots of them.

Sounds like you did the right thing though. Very cool of you to make right.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
They are sold with the stem.

You did the right thing by shipping the cap to the buyer.

I a positive that the cap is sold with the stem when purchased aftermarket. The cap is zip tied to the same piece of cardboard that the stems come on.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Your only mistake

was not being clear in the ebay ad what exactly came with the stem. A simple "stem cap not included" was all you needed to do. You did the smart thing sending the cap, no big deal.

It doesn't matter what the stem originally came with. Some people seem to be arguing that because the stem originally came with the came, you HAVE to include it. You could sell the stem with no front bolt if you want, as long as you list "no front bolts included".

If someone sells a frame that could originally only be bought as a complete bike, should the buyer assume that its really a complete bike, and complain when the frame arrive with no parts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.