Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember one day a few years ago I went on a ride with my buddy who was much faster than me. All I had eaten was milk and three donuts. I felt like crap and puked on the way up the climb. I have learned to eat better foods before a ride. Greasy fried stuff tends to make me ride like I am hungover from a night on the town. Apples tend to give me lots of energy on semi-long rides. I usually keep one in my bag. I am realizing that eating two hours ebfore a ride is ideal for me (most rides anyway). It is not weighing me down and I am not yet hungry. No cramps either. Any preferred foodstuffs before your rides?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Night before any long rides I stuff my face with whatever (pasta, pizza, etc) and wash it down with a few beers. Morning before I always eat oatmeal with almonds, fruit, and skim milk. If my ride isn't for another few hours after breakfast I may down a bagel with cream cheese or a poptart with peanut butter or something like that. Works well for me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a soft spot for candy, particularly chuckles and orange slices. All my friends make fun of me and say i eat old man candy but it's cheap and it works

·
Registered
249 Posts
I remember one day a few years ago I went on a ride with my buddy who was much faster than me. All I had eaten was milk and three donuts. I felt like crap and puked on the way up the climb. I have learned to eat better foods before a ride. Greasy fried stuff tends to make me ride like I am hungover from a night on the town. Apples tend to give me lots of energy on semi-long rides. I usually keep one in my bag. I am realizing that eating two hours ebfore a ride is ideal for me (most rides anyway). It is not weighing me down and I am not yet hungry. No cramps either. Any preferred foodstuffs before your rides?
yeah 2 hours is ideal depending on the size of the meal. If its within 2 hours, I try to stay away from slow digesting foods with anything high in protein or fiber. Fruits are great pre workout food since they have a good amount of natural sugar and arent heavy foods.

I would say your milk + 3 doughnuts is close to one of the worst pre workout meals.

One thing I have done is had half a regular snickers bar and a banana about 10-20 min before hitting the trail and it has worked well for me. Snickers isn't of course good for you but provides a sugar hit and with a small amount, shouldnt impact your performance. Idea came to me when we used to have a snickers bar and banana during half time of our football games....

·
Registered
652 Posts
^ I like snickers too! going to try this :)

Is there any reason to avoid proteins before riding? I know very little about this stuff but i always tried to have as much protein as possible whenever i had the chance. If i should cut it out while riding i will though

·
Registered
902 Posts
I used to ride with a guy who was over 60 and he ate 2 McDonalds cheeseburgers on the way to the ride after work. I think he did it to slow down and not humiliate the rest of us younger folks.

My wife is convinced that half a Baby Ruth bar before a ride gives her wings. I ate the other half the other night and maybe it was psychosomatic but I felt great riding.

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
For me:
No dairy before ride.
banannas, apples, oatmeal, snickers and juice with chia seeds.
Chocolate milk after ride.

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,618 Posts
mornings are tough. if i eat breakfast, then there is a ton of climbing right at the beginning of the ride, then i start to feel pukey. it doesnt really matter what i eat or how much.

during rides, i have a mixture i put in my bottle that helps. i'm not divulging.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mornings are tough. if i eat breakfast, then there is a ton of climbing right at the beginning of the ride, then i start to feel pukey. it doesnt really matter what i eat or how much.

during rides, i have a mixture i put in my bottle that helps. i'm not divulging.
Inquiring minds wants to know!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
preride has always been more about good sleep, eat and hydration a couple of days before for me. oatmeal with raisins if i remember, otherwise, some sorta granola bar en route or pop-tart has done the job. amen to chocolate milk post ride. great recovery treat.
chewing gum is my flow-finder on the trail though!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Toast with peanut butter and Jelly, couple hours before the ride.

I can't eat anything within that 2 hour window or I'll puke all over the damn place.

On the ride, I'll eat some of those sport beans about once an hour to keep up the energy, sometimes a banana...but sometimes the banana makes me puke too. I puke a lot.

Road riding is different, I can eat a good meal, then hit the road no problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is there any reason to avoid proteins before riding? I know very little about this stuff but i always tried to have as much protein as possible whenever i had the chance. If i should cut it out while riding i will though
other than fiber, its one of the slowest digesting items in food. I wouldnt say it needs to be avoided altogether but just not high amounts. Sometimes I will have a cliff bar about 30 min out and I am ok...

protein is great to have and you will definitely need it. I would just keep it to an hour and a half out. One big thing is that people think carbs and fats are the enemy but are an important part of a balance diet...you just cant overdo them. Of course with the fats, you should try and stick to healthy fats as much as possible (avocadoes, peanut butter, nuts, etc.).

1 - 20 of 270 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.