Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than talk about it buried in another thread-lets discuss here.
What do you eat 3 hrs before? 1 hour before? During? After? Do you count the grams you consume, or just chow down?

I know that nutrition is h gely important, and my biggest area of weakness. The anxiety I have about racing makes eating beforehand very difficult for me.

Here's my last race (I know that I need MUCH more food before and after):
3 hrs-bagel
1 hr-powerbar and bottle of gatorade, 1 Hammergel right before start
During-2 bottles of gatorade mixture and 3 Hammergels
After-soup, bread, blueberry bar, water

I need to drastically increase my carbs, protein, and fats 3 hrs. before race. I also plan to use a flask with 3 or 4 diluted Hammer gels for during race. I am also going to try using some Citrus Cytomax instead of Gatorade powder; however, I find the Cytomax too sweet so I may try a mixture of Gatorade powder and Cytomax powder and see how that works.
Other than that I am pretty happy with my eating during the race. Anyone else?

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
free-agent said:
What do you eat 3 hrs before? 1 hour before? During? After? Do you count the grams you consume, or just chow down?

I know that nutrition is h gely important, and my biggest area of weakness. The anxiety I have about racing makes eating beforehand very difficult for me.

3 hrs-bagel

I need to drastically increase my carbs, protein, and fats 3 hrs. before race. I also plan to use a flask with 3 or 4 diluted Hammer gels for during race. I am also going to try using some Citrus Cytomax instead of Gatorade powder; however, I find the Cytomax too sweet so I may try a mixture of Gatorade powder and Cytomax powder and see how that works.
No coffee? Actually, caffeine has been shown clinically to increase performance in endurance events.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
free-agent said:

3 hrs-bagel

Powerbar or any snack is not a good meal before race. It doesn't have enough calories. You burn off alot of calories during the first 100m of the race.It is suitable during mid race snack.Before race, I eat large spaghetti & meatballs meal and large glass of homoginzed milk. After race, I fill up with large protein diet & carb such as a 18oz steak with potatoes & sourcream. For dessert, I eat an large slice of apple pie. I drink large glass of water to digest all this stuff. I can metabolize 3000calories on long bike ride. For winter camping trip, I consumed about 5000calories. I eat extra fatty food on the way to camp. For example, I eat 6piece KFC chicken or Swiss Chalet 1/2chicken meal. The fatty food burn off slowly and generate much body heat during -30 degrees celcius weather.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Patchito said:
No coffee? Actually, caffeine has been shown clinically to increase performance in endurance events.
Coffee is also a diuretic which can cause dehydration! Our first race two weeks ago temps rose 15 degrees to about 80 when for the past few months it had been between 35 - 60 degrees. A female rider on our team asked to be handed off a Red Bul between her 2nd and 3rd lap, big mistake due to her not being aclimated to higher temps and an added bonus of drinking caffeine she basicly dehydrated and was purple when she stumbled back to the start area 45 minutes after the rest of her class in the need of I.V. fluid. I do use caffeine in the mornings, usually a couple of cups of coffee or a QT donkey Kick. But on race day or in warmer weather when proper hydration is a possible issue I make sure I hydrate with water all day before the event and down an electrolite drink (1/2 strength gatorade or my preference Gu2o) 45 minutes before the start of the race. I eat 2 hours before the start (usually a bannana and a peanut butter and honey sandwich) as if I eat any sooner I have a tendency to bonk and if I eat too late I throw up! At the start I down a Enervit (240 cal liquid energy). During I drink water only as any liquid sweet makes me puke and usually 1 honey stinger gel around mid race. Of course all this is based on preference as some can't handle much food before an event as you've stated before.

Most importantly, proper nutrition happens days not hours before an event. Proper carb intake is extremely important to keep glycogen stores up and topped off. This is done by carb loading two to three days before an event, 85% to 90% of food intake should be good quality carbs.

Read "Chris Carmichael's" Food for Fitness for indepth info on nutrition and endurance events.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd say MTBXC has it right, you need to load up on proper stuff days before a race to have your body ready. I haven't doen to much racing, but when I'm going for what I know may turn into epic type rides which will stress my body I try to eat pasta for a couple meals in the days before. I also like to have some PB&J sandwiches along with a banana and other fruit smoothie. Got to build the carbs as I recently found out - if you do a good 3 hour ride at pace you can burn 3,000 - 4,500 calories depending on size etc. I did a 34 mile, lots of hills and tech single track , 3H 40Min ride, started at 2pm in the hot sun the other day without eating much and it crapped me out for the week basically.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I would disagreee about the diuretic factor in the bonk

described by MTBXC. Recent studies have shown that the degree to which coffee is diuretic has been overstated. The far more significant factor is the amount of water taken in or not taken in, prior to and during, the effort. If all that person had was a Red Bull.....my stomach churns just thinking about it; not the best move in the world.
In this case I fall back on our club's racing experience during the spring when winter temps in California can disappaer and become 80 degrees and dry and surprise the heck out of everyone. This is typically wehn we see the effects of dehydration.
Proper hydration can become a lifestyle. Pre-race hydration starts 2 days before a race. A cup of coffee is hardly a factor. Or a Red Bull unlesss you have done little else to prepare yourself.
As to pre-race food, everyone has a different tolerance. Simply; the further in advance of the race the more complex and greasy (yummy) food can be. The day before a race we like to eat simpler things and carbo loading is popular. 3-4 hours before a race one can eat a fair amount of stuff, even protein and stuff that sticks to your ribs like eggs or even, gasp, a sausage. Hot cakes are tasty but can disappear unless they have a lot of whole grains in them. I go with large porttions of oatmeal and fruit, as it is simpler for me, but would eat a sausage link if it was handed to me and love it. Inside of 2 hours before a race things have to get really simple; bagles (a teense of cream cheese but ....), muffins without a lot of sugar, fruit but mostly for taste. 30 minutes before a race or hard ride I have 1/3 a Clif Bar and take 1/3's every 30-40 minutes and water frequently. At about 45 minutes I start using cytomax, especailly in the morning as any earlier and my stomach doesn't like it as it has been dealing with food. In 2 hour race I will have a Clif Shot to get me through the last 30 minutes of racing. I have a protein drink right after racing. That and the cytomax has cut down soreness a great deal.
I am 53. I have ridden at temps over 110 in Centuries. I have more than a race or two under my belt. I am not a champion but this food program has worked well for me and it it hardly the reason I am not on the Podium.I blame that on society.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
free-agent said:

3 hrs-bagel

4 hours before race:
-whole grain bread, peanut butter & jelly, eggs, OATMEAL, potatoes and other good carbs, minimal protein (like the eggs), water, and a cup of coffee - the diuretic myth has been debunked plenty; the racer above who was "purple" had far worse problems than the caffeine - hell, the red bull would have made me barf on the spot! But that's me.

2 hours before:
Another simple carb snack, like a pop tart, bagel, whatever. When needed: cup-o-joe #2 (small, light/medium roast stuff - not the battery acid "Black Lightening" type stuff.)

1 hour before:
Start drinking PowerBar endurance Drink, eat a gel, hop on the trainer for my 45-50 minute warm up. During warm up, depending on weather and stomach, drink more of same (max 1 bottle <24 ounce> during warm up. 15 minutes prior to end of warm-up, start of race, have another gel and maybe some water.

During: Lately I've been trying to take a good "sip or two" every 10 minutes. The first 30 - 60 minutes is usually the toughest time to consume anything, but also the most important. After 45 - 60 minutes, start pulling on the gu/gel flask as often as is tolerable, and continue drinking.

After: Cookies, BBQ, water, and my special recovery drink: Chocolate Milk, and whatever else my stomach will take! I'm looking to start using the recovery drinks, but they just taste nasty. I'll be getting some of the PowerBar Recovery mix soon, as my LBS got some in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We did a lot of work with caffeine when I was at Ohio State and found that the diuretic effect is completely abolished during exercise. Caffeine is likely most effective when taken 2-3 hours before the start of an event, which leaves a lot of time for you to increase your urinary output, but dehydration can be avoided by consuming adequate amounts of fluids before the start of the race.

As far as what you should eat before during and after the race, chapters 2 and 10 of my book covers that quite extensively (sorry, there is way to much information to post it here). There are some pretty distinct guidelines as to how much to eat, what kinds of substrates to eat and when to eat them. The actual food the substrates come from (i.e. a bagel vs an energy bar) isn't really important as long as the proper substrates are consumed and should be dictated by what you are most comfortable eating.

Dave Morris

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
this is a great thread! I eat a Bagel with Turkey & cream cheese a couple hours before the race. I'll down a GU and water when I'm on the trainer warming up, maybe acliff bar or some fig newtons. Free-Agent, I get the jitter like you do and also have a real hard time eating before the race. The only thing that helps me is to get on the trainer and start warming up, this helps me relax and calm my stomach. I usually down a couple Gu's during the race. In my camel back I have water with juice from 1 lemon , 2 tbs sugar and a pinch of salt. Tastes great and no stomach problems ever.
After the race I need to wait a couple hours for my stomach to settle. Suring that time I'll have some Endurox. After a couple hours the feeding frenzy begins :) Bacon Cheesburger and fries! My after race ritual :)

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
same ritual here!

merlin said:
this is a great thread! I eat a Bagel with Turkey & cream cheese a couple hours before the race. I'll down a GU and water when I'm on the trainer warming up, maybe acliff bar or some fig newtons. Free-Agent, I get the jitter like you do and also have a real hard time eating before the race. The only thing that helps me is to get on the trainer and start warming up, this helps me relax and calm my stomach. I usually down a couple Gu's during the race. In my camel back I have water with juice from 1 lemon , 2 tbs sugar and a pinch of salt. Tastes great and no stomach problems ever.
After the race I need to wait a couple hours for my stomach to settle. Suring that time I'll have some Endurox. After a couple hours the feeding frenzy begins :) Bacon Cheesburger and fries! My after race ritual :)
I always stop at a DQ or A&W for a double bacon cheeseburger and fries. I know it isn't the best post-ride meal, but dammit, I deserve it!
I want to start tracking actual grams before the race, and see what works and doesn't work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
nutrition

Just a couple of quick comments:

1) Be careful about drinking too much water on the day before. You can actually flush out the electrolytes from your system & wind up more likely to cramp. I made this mistake once and it was not pretty.

I typically supplement my water consumption with an electrolyte source (I like Endurolytes from E-caps/Hammer Nutrition). Whatever you use, make sure you are getting a complete electrolyte profile, there is more to it than just potassium.

2) During riding, most athletes can process, at best, 250-300 cal/hr. Higher intensity efforts bring this number down, obviously.

3) For pre-race nutrition, the best guidance I have found is an article in the Hammer Nutrition Endurance Athletes Guide to Success, found here:

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=DOWNLOADS&CAT=FREE_DOWNLOADS

I've used their guidance (and products) for everything from 45 minute cyclocross races to solo 24 hour events. Short story - your pre-race meal should feature healthy carbs, 200-400 calories, and be eaten a minimum of 3 hours prior to race.

Cheers,

·
Registered
82 Posts
kretzel said:
Just a couple of quick comments:

1) Be careful about drinking too much water on the day before. You can actually flush out the electrolytes from your system & wind up more likely to cramp. I made this mistake once and it was not pretty.

I typically supplement my water consumption with an electrolyte source (I like Endurolytes from E-caps/Hammer Nutrition). Whatever you use, make sure you are getting a complete electrolyte profile, there is more to it than just potassium.

2) During riding, most athletes can process, at best, 250-300 cal/hr. Higher intensity efforts bring this number down, obviously.

3) For pre-race nutrition, the best guidance I have found is an article in the Hammer Nutrition Endurance Athletes Guide to Success, found here:

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=DOWNLOADS&CAT=FREE_DOWNLOADS

I've used their guidance (and products) for everything from 45 minute cyclocross races to solo 24 hour events. Short story - your pre-race meal should feature healthy carbs, 200-400 calories, and be eaten a minimum of 3 hours prior to race.

Cheers,
Great info,

I've actually done the same with too much water the day before and day of event. I now cut off caffeine in the early morning of the event and make sure I'm topped of by eating good breakfast and then 2 hrs before race eat turkey sandwich or peanut buttter & honey sandwich with whole wheat bread and the 45 minutes before down the electrolite drink! This has worked well the past couple of years.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
what is red line ?

UMineralKasherT said:
Anyone ever try that redline fat incinerator drink before a ride...jesus it's like crack...seriously
What the hell is Redline fat incinerator? Are you referring to Red Bull, the caffine beverage? It has lots of caffeine. In long term, it is very damaging for you heart and nervous system.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
i am a bad example!

free-agent said:
cautionary note:
i am a very bad example given that i'm still desperately trying to get my food intake up to where it should be. but below is a typical pre-race diet for me.

friday night: something with high fat and carbs. one of my favorite friday night race weekend meals is chicken pot pie, rice, and a salad.

saturday am: protein shake (500 cal in a glass). from here my food intake is generally really bad since i get in my car, drive to where ever the race is, usually skip lunch, and then try to remember to eat at least a gel (or clif bar) before my pre-ride.....can you say calorie deficit?!

saturday pm: depending on where the race is dinner will either be at a pasta place - i'm a big fan of Olive Garden. not because their food is good (it isn't!) but because it's salty as h3ll! and it has all the carbs you could wish for. if no pasta place is available i've been known to do mexican. if i'm lucky the race is in SC and i can stay with a friend of mine who makes us all dinner. :)

sunday am: 2-3 hrs pre race - protein shake. (unfortunately from this point on i am generally too nervous to get anything down. sometimes it's a struggle to get the protein shake down.) about 45 minutes pre-race i attempt to have either a gel or 1/2 a clif bar. sometimes i'm successful, most of the time i'm not.

during the race: minimum 1 gel per lap. sometimes i'll do 2 if i find myself getting hungry. most races i do three 7-10 mile laps.

post race: 1 bottle of endurox (2 scoops of powder to a large bottle). then food. it takes about 2-3 hrs post race before i have any interest in eating. yesterday's post race meal was mexican and i managed to get down a beef burito deluxe ('cause i really like guac. :p ). after that i will drive home and probably eat again if there is anything in my fridge. last night i was munching on leftover grilled chicken and rice at 11 pm.

in addition i drink a water/gatorade mix (3/4 water, 1/4 gatorade) before, during, and after racing. this past weekend, in an effort to avoid the cramps that plagued me in my last race i also emptied 2 endurolite caps into each of my waterbottles. not sure if it was the addition of the endurolites but instead of cramping 17 miles into the race i cramped about 23 miles into the race.

i also phosphate load 3 days before each race.

getting back to food: the only reason i count grams/calories whatever is to make sure i'm getting at least enough to survive. this has been a HUGE problem for me and i find the more i train the less hungry i am. as a result i am currently sitting at 10.2% body fat and i'm adding meals/calories to my day to make sure i don't drop any lower.

rt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.