Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The initial design goal was to make a small housing for Quazzle (lux-rc.com) light engines from a solid block of aluminium. The product evolved into a universal housing which can be used with Quazzle modules or any other LED/optic combo which doesn't exceed 24mm in diameter and 19mm in height (driver compartment - 7.5mm height, e.g. MaxFlex).

Here is the final result:

https://www.easy2led.com/

The kit includes:
  • Lamp body
  • Rear cap - 2mm thick aluminium
  • Front tempered optical glass with water repellent coating
  • M4x10 titanium bolt

The kit weights 45 grams
Length - 42mm
Outside diameter - 35mm

This topic is open for discussion and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
ooh, looks very nice!

I'm guessing that any holes other than the M4 mount hole need to be drilled by the buyer? How does the rear cap attach to the main body? How do you get the front glass out/ how's it kept in? What are the dimensions of the rear cap, to work out how much space there is for switch and/ or cable gland?

what sort of ball park price are you thinking about, should you sell them?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mattthemuppet
I'm guessing that any holes other than the M4 mount hole need to be drilled by the buyer?
* there is a 5mm hole for the cable between the "LED" and "driver" compartments, other holes must be made by the buyer

How does the rear cap attach to the main body?
How do you get the front glass out/ how's it kept in?
* the rear cap and the ring with the glass inside are screwed in the body. M25 threads, so the rear cap and the ring are swappable

What are the dimensions of the rear cap, to work out how much space there is for switch and/ or cable gland?
minimum height - 11.5mm, diameter - 22mm

$25 + shipping

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
zemike said:
mattthemuppet

What are the dimensions of the rear cap, to work out how much space there is for switch and/ or cable gland?
Very nice. With the Quazzle module there should be plenty of room as you don't need to squeeze in the separate driver board.

The driver chamber of 11.5mm sounds like it will be a bit tight between the wiring from the switch and cable gland if using a *flex driver though. Maybe you could sell a different longer end cap with an extension that still fits the threads, if folks are into it?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
zemike said:
mattthemuppet
I'm guessing that any holes other than the M4 mount hole need to be drilled by the buyer?
* there is a 5mm hole for the cable between the "LED" and "driver" compartments, other holes must be made by the buyer

How does the rear cap attach to the main body?
How do you get the front glass out/ how's it kept in?
* the rear cap and the ring with the glass inside are screwed in the body. M25 threads, so the rear cap and the ring are swappable

$25 + shipping
sounds pretty good, nice price too. I agree with Of'roadbent (who has way more experience with tiny builds than I do) that 11.5mm would be tight for a lflex driver - I think they're ~6mm high at least.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is my understanding correct that either of the 2 "chambers", one 11.5mm deep, the other 21.5mm deep can be used either for the driver or the light engine + optic? Looking at the design this seems to be the idea, so that it is possible to run a star with a reflector in the 21.5mm chamber with a small driver in the rear, or a star with a shallow/short lens and a larger driver in the rear.

I'm very interested in these, I might just snap up 2. Are they available now?

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,556 Posts
Looks like a nice little light housing. :thumbsup:

I have one concern regarding the rear cover attachment method: I assume one will need to screw this cover down with a switch, wire grommet and maybe a stat LED attached and wired to the driver. Won't this require a great deal of care to not twist off all the wires or rip the driver loose?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DIYtailight said:
Is my understanding correct that either of the 2 "chambers", one 11.5mm deep, the other 21.5mm deep can be used either for the driver or the light engine + optic? Looking at the design this seems to be the idea, so that it is possible to run a star with a reflector in the 21.5mm chamber with a small driver in the rear, or a star with a shallow/short lens and a larger driver in the rear.
Correct, this was the idea. Basically the 11.5mm is for triples (you have 21mm for the driver and wiring). The 21mm is for a Regina/ other single optics.

I am working on a waterproof remote switch housing, so there will be no need to place a switch in the light head.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kwarwick said:
I have one concern regarding the rear cover attachment method: I assume one will need to screw this cover down with a switch, wire grommet and maybe a stat LED attached and wired to the driver. Won't this require a great deal of care to not twist off all the wires or rip the driver loose?
That is easy to do: first twist the wires in the opposite direction, then screw the cap. Another possibility with a remote switch - place the cable gland in the center of the cap, screw the cap, the wire will rotate freely in the gland, tighten the cable gland.

Cable entry can also be in the bottom.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
zemike said:
Correct, this was the idea. Basically the 11.5mm is for triples (you have 21mm for the driver and wiring). The 21mm is for a Regina/ other single optics.

I am working on a waterproof remote switch housing, so there will be no need to place a switch in the light head.
Remote?....you done now said the magic word! Is this set-up to work with typical bar mounts?

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Good stuff.
I just picked up 2.
Possibly more in the near future.
Keep the price where it's at zemike. You'll sell alot more that way.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.