Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
I got this plastic thing meant for that in a thrift store. It looks like an outside BB wrench that has dull teeth and it goes between the cogs. You rotate the cogs and this thing eats and pulls all the grime, weeds and grass out of your gears. On the opposite side it has a brush which works good.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may be frowned on by many, but I go to the car wash. Tip the bike upside down and hold the nozzle very close to the cassette. Do same with the chain as it runs through the rear derailleur wheels. Just be very careful not to aim the nozzle at paint you care about or possible entry path to bearings.
If there is a little time left I might give my car a rinse

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,453 Posts
This may be frowned on by many, but I go to the car wash. Tip the bike upside down and hold the nozzle very close to the cassette. Do same with the chain as it runs through the rear derailleur wheels. Just be very careful not to aim the nozzle at paint you care about or possible entry path to bearings.
Seriously! :yikes: :eek:ut:

·
Rent this space for $
3,640 Posts
Keep rockin' that novel idea and get back to us down the road when the lovely results start to rear their ugly head. Take some pics, too...we like lots of pics.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I use old t-shirts and other tattered clothes for most of my bike cleaning needs. I cut them into squares. My clean the cassette I just fold a piece in half and stretch it out and get it into the cassette.. And I just pull and let it freewheel and rotate the cassette a few times and move to the next gear. It works really well and I just throw out the piece of cloth after.. Been doing it this way for 15 years now.. Its simple and makes them shiny. If they're really dirty I squirt some rubbing alcohol on it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
You guys are coming up with easy ways to clean a cassette without talking it off which are actually harder than just taking it off!..
But once you take it off you still need to use similar methods to clean the cassette, and it is harder to spin.

Easier to clean on the wheel.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
But once you take it off you still need to use similar methods to clean the cassette
But it's a lot quicker because you can slosh it around in solvent without worrying about it getting into your free-wheel or bearings. That's the biggest issue with cleaning it on the bike, removing the oil on the cassette without removing the oil you need.

Take it off, shoogle it around in a tray of white-spirit using an old paint brush or something to get between the cogs, two-minutes and you're done. No risk of getting solvent in the bearings, splashing filth all over your wheel and tyres, it's just a better and quicker way of doing it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.