Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to PUSH it since I'm not riding my Blur XC right now, due to the weather. Is this shock easy to remove & reinstall? I am not a mechanic, not mechanically inclined. Is it simply unscrewing the bolts, and taking the shock off, then re-screwing the bolts later? Do I need torque wrench? I'd rather not take it to a shop. Any other tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just my opinion (and no offense implied) but if you don't even know how to take a shock off of a bike (unscrew two bolts) you probably don't need to spend a bunch of money to have your shock pushed. I'd imagine that you'd benefit more from a little basic maintenance (described in your manual) and some proper setup than a push upgrade. That's all I'm saying.....

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
jimmy said:
I'd like to PUSH it since I'm not riding my Blur XC right now, due to the weather. Is this shock easy to remove & reinstall? I am not a mechanic, not mechanically inclined. Is it simply unscrewing the bolts, and taking the shock off, then re-screwing the bolts later? Do I need torque wrench? I'd rather not take it to a shop. Any other tips? Thanks.
Yes, it is as easy as that. No torque wrench necessary, just don't get medieval on the nut when you tighten it back up.

_MK

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, what can I say?

Its my first dually, tho I've been riding HTs for a long time. I've never dealt with a rear shock before. I've worked on other things on my bike to some degree of success, but have never had the occasion to remove a rear shock. The RP3 seems to work OK but it does lose some air, and the 3 setting all feel the same to me. I suspect its settings came from FOX for a lighter person than me, at least as I read the label on the shock. It probably needs some service, so why not send it to PUSH? Its either that or my LBS who would probably charge the same thing. I race & ride XC so I like the shock kind of firm, would the PUSH treatment imprive the shock? I assume so.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
my Pushed RP3 is great so far. I bought it new straight from Push (already Pushed), so I can't give a before/after review. It is winter and the only riding the bike has had since the new shock is commuting to work, so again no great reviewable scenarios yet. But I can say I certainly feel the difference between the three settings. I weigh 195 with gear. Ride is an '04 Specialized Stumpjumper. RP3 replaced the Float R which I was going to Push until I saw that the '06 RP3 was on sale.

PS - removing the shock is as easy as you described.

·
Registered
471 Posts
jimmy said:
Its my first dually, tho I've been riding HTs for a long time. I've never dealt with a rear shock before. I've worked on other things on my bike to some degree of success, but have never had the occasion to remove a rear shock. The RP3 seems to work OK but it does lose some air, and the 3 setting all feel the same to me. I suspect its settings came from FOX for a lighter person than me, at least as I read the label on the shock. It probably needs some service, so why not send it to PUSH? Its either that or my LBS who would probably charge the same thing. I race & ride XC so I like the shock kind of firm, would the PUSH treatment imprive the shock? I assume so.
From what you have stated above it seems that a PUSH rebuild and tune is exactly what you need. 1) sounds like your shock definitely needs a service and 2) PUSH states that as part of their tuning they increase the range of the propedal settings. This should help since you say all 3 settings feel the same now.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I can confirm that....

GTV8 said:
...2) PUSH states that as part of their tuning they increase the range of the propedal settings. This should help since you say all 3 settings feel the same now.
I can definitely say that I can feel the difference between three settings w/ my Pushed RP3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.