Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A pedal wrench is like $15...
Maybe a bit of context is in order here...

I had a pedal wrench but misplaced it somewhere a long time ago. I've owned several mountain (and a road) bike(s) over the span of several years which all had SPD and Look pedals which only use an 8mm hex wrench on the inside ends of the spindles. Never had the need (or could even use) a 15mm pedal wrench on any of these. The few other bikes I've had or resold which had external 15mm wrench flats on the spindles worked fine with a regular 15mm open end/ box combination wrench.

Fast forward to the bike in this video. I sold this bike online to someone in another state. The bike didn't sell for much but I had to get it shipped to them as quickly as possible. It just so happened that neither of the 15mm open end wrenches I have were narrow enough to fit on the flats of the spindles - which is why I came up with this hack.

For what this bike sold for, it didn't make economic sense to buy a pedal wrench for $XX.xx amount of dollars, something which I would likely rarely if ever use. That and the fact that I didn't have the time to locate, source, and obtain a pedal wrench in the first place since I had to get the bike shipped to the buyer asap. So this was a very viable time and cost saving solution.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe a bit of context is in order here...

I had a pedal wrench but misplaced it somewhere a long time ago. I've owned several mountain (and a road) bike(s) over the span of several years which all had SPD and Look pedals which only use an 8mm hex wrench on the inside ends of the spindles. Never had the need (or could even use) a 15mm pedal wrench on any of these. The few other bikes I've had or resold which had external 15mm wrench flats on the spindles worked fine with a regular 15mm open end/ box combination wrench.

Fast forward to the bike in this video. I sold this bike online to someone in another state. The bike didn't sell for much but I had to get it shipped to them as quickly as possible. It just so happened that neither of the 15mm open end wrenches I have were narrow enough to fit on the flats of the spindles - which is why I came up with this hack.

For what this bike sold for, it didn't make economic sense to buy a pedal wrench for $XX.xx amount of dollars, something which I would likely rarely if ever use. That and the fact that I didn't have the time to locate, source, and obtain a pedal wrench in the first place since I had to get the bike shipped to the buyer asap. So this was a very viable time and cost saving solution.
I actually thought it was a pretty good hack. A buddy of mine just had this exact issue and didn't have a pedal wrench and needed it before the stores opened. He borrowed mine, but this would have worked for him. Regardless, it's a general idea that might apply somewhere else in the future. Thanks for sharing.

·
Cat Herder
4,702 Posts
I'll add that you're supposed to orientate the fixed jaw of an adjustable wrench against the "immovable object". In other words, turn your wrench around to break the pedal free or risk breaking the movable jaw.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,552 Posts
Good hack in a pinch. It made me think of "(3) 5mm Allen wrenches = (1) 10mm Allen wrench" (since who carries a 10?)

I think there is a thread somewhere about tool hacks or emergency hacks or something.

-F

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
the wrench flats on most pedals is too narrow for most open-end wrenches, so this might not work. I bought a cheap open-end wrench that happened to be narrower when I was a kid just for this reason. I figured out how to do this on my own when I was 13 years old.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.