Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have been doing a lot of rd riding on my hardtail, and it feels like my bars are to low i would like to have a higher set up... All i need is some riser bars? and will i need a new stem too?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
donny939 said:
Hey i have been doing a lot of rd riding on my hardtail, and it feels like my bars are to low i would like to have a higher set up... All i need is some riser bars? and will i need a new stem too?
Depends on which bar and how much height change you want.

·
Registered
249 Posts
donny939 said:
i bet you're riding a bike that is one size too small...

anyway, i'd imagine that a mountain bike has 31.8 mm clamp stem ("oversized"). in that case, i suggest bontrager earl riser which comes with 25 mm rise, 50 mm, and 70 mm rise. cost is $50 but it's nice and stylish. i have it. it's a downhill bar (overkill for my uses but similar priced as other bars).

if your stem is 25.4 mm, then i'm not sure if this is ok for mountain biking...or even at least light cross country riding...but the bontrager hi rise bar has 80 mm rise...it is made of straight guage chromoly steel. costs $10 with free shipping if you have your lbs deliver it. specs says 50 mm but the bar has a 80 mm rise. i own one. it's designed for hybrids that's why i'm iffy about using it for mountain biking. if you're doing light cross country, steel will not catastrophically fail as i understand...but i can't say for sure.

edit: risers might make climbing harder because your front wheel will want to do a wheelie

·
Registered
2019 Salsa Horsethief; Mone La Roca (V1)
850 Posts
Don't necessarily need a new stem...if you have a flat bar, then a riser bar will get you up a little higher...combined with a stem with a higher degree of rise (most are 5 or 6 degree standard) you'll get the bars even higher. Best idea is to go to your local shop and ask for help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts