Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to get a coil rear shock for my heckler. i have heard that if i dont get the 5th or something with stable platform that i will blow through my travel due to the Hecklers suspension design that makes it easier to go down the further you go in the stroke. I am asking this because i found a good deal on a simple for Vanilla R. I will be hucking and all around riding with it. any imput will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
it is true the heckler has a falling rate design. I have a dhx on mine and do quite abit of freeriding. i have 200 in the boost valve with it cranked all the way in so it hasnt bottomed in a quite awhile. you will be fine if you run a spring with enough rate. how much do you weigh?
you can always invest in a dhx or 5th through santa cruz and get a mad discount. the heckler frame can taka alot but if you wanna go nuts over 10 feet than get a vpfree i have done 12 to a perfect tranny on my heckler smooth as butter but if you r rough it may break. you can always get the shock "pushed" for like 40 bucks too with propedal and their progressive setup i have read good reviews. -rj

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i weigh 155 with all gear. i cant really spend the money to get a 5th or dhx at this time, but what mad discounts are you talking. so you think i would be better off getting a 5th, dhx, or fpushed fox and just try to muster up the dough.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
cdub said:
i am looking to get a coil rear shock for my heckler. i have heard that if i dont get the 5th or something with stable platform that i will blow through my travel due to the Hecklers suspension design that makes it easier to go down the further you go in the stroke. I am asking this because i found a good deal on a simple for Vanilla R. I will be hucking and all around riding with it. any imput will be appreciated.
Got a friend riding a Heck w/ a Vanilla R. Rides pretty hard and doesn't have a bottom out issue. It rides like butta w/ the 'ol Vanilla. .

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SLinBend said:
Got a friend riding a Heck w/ a Vanilla R. Rides pretty hard and doesn't have a bottom out issue. It rides like butta w/ the 'ol Vanilla. .
Thats great news, just what i was looking for. Can anyone support or disprove this? How hard is riding hard. does he do 4 footers to flat? sorry for asking so much, i just want to make the right choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cdub said:
Thats great news, just what i was looking for. Can anyone support or disprove this? How hard is riding hard. does he do 4 footers to flat? sorry for asking so much, i just want to make the right choice.
Well, I don't want to be a bubble burster, but I had a Vanilla R with ProPedal and it bottomed all over the place...had to pony up for the DHX. I'm 198# and run a 550# spring with 160psi in the BV. Unless you're going over 5-6 feet, a Float should be fine...

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
3' to flat... any higher and most likely it's transitioned (10' drop to transition is the biggest I've seen him do). FYI - he probably comes in at 175lbs w/ all gear and is about as smooth of a rider as you'll find on the trails.

With that being said, if there's any doubt in your mind, hell, just spend the extra bucks to get the latest and greatest. It'll be worth the piece of mind and surely will match or beat the performance of the Vanilla R.

cdub said:

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wont be doing over 5' to flat. but bigger with some trannys. if money is REAL tight but i still want to ride hard, should i buy a used 5th or something along those lines or save 100 bucks and get a vanilla?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,225 Posts
cdub said:
I think it is very important to have a progressive (small "p", not big "P") shock with the Heckler. That could mean an air shock (thus a progressive spring rate) or a coil with progressive compression dampening such as the 5th coil, DHX, or swinger 4 way.

What are you running on the Heckler right now? The Vanilla R will work, but I have to think that whatever the bike came with should be a better option.

Kapusta

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
if it goes than you know how much it can take. 5th element has a pretty good warranty any ways. i have seen those 4X races go pretty huge on those 5th elements airs. i wouldnt be afraid

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats interesting, i have never heard of the 5th air taking abuse, but if you claim to have witnessed it than maybe ill just ride it

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,225 Posts
cdub said:
well i have a 5th air and am scared to do anything big on it. do you guys think it will stand up to a lot of abuse?
I would go ahead and see what the 5th air can do. If you find you are bottoming it out, then you need more bottoming control, thus the vanilla is probably not what you want. Again, look at the 5th coil, DHX or Swinger Coil. If you are not bottoming the 5th air, I'd just keep using it.

Kapusta

·
heckler and jekyll
154 Posts
i'm 180lbs and on a Medium with a dhx with a 300# spring and 165psi in the boost.

i've got no finesse riding whatsoever and yet have to bottom out this thing. consider saving up for a shock with some platform like a 5th coil or the dhx.

i just love the dhx on it, makes every trail feel like fresh paved cement... buttery smooth :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm riding a large with 5th Element coil 2.25" stroke/500 lb. spring/150 lb air in chamber. Doesn't bottom under my svelte 230 lb. frame.
"
gwm said:
i'm 180lbs and on a Medium with a dhx with a 300# spring and 165psi in the boost.

i've got no finesse riding whatsoever and yet have to bottom out this thing. consider saving up for a shock with some platform like a 5th coil or the dhx.

i just love the dhx on it, makes every trail feel like fresh paved cement... buttery smooth :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you are going to be doing more freeriding and drops you may want to consider a coil. you can get a 2.25 stroke instead of a 2.0 stroke (common with air shocks). This will increase travel closer to 6 inches. I use a manitou 4way and love it. I have used a dhx, 5th, and manitou and they all have different riding characteristics depending on how you set them up. I do believe you should give the 5th air a try. The new nomad's use a 5th and they carry a hefty 6.5 inches of rear travel. You know that abuse is just waiting around the corner on that burly trail/freeride bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
cdub said:
thats interesting, i have never heard of the 5th air taking abuse, but if you claim to have witnessed it than maybe ill just ride it
It won't take the abuse. I bought my Heckler with the 5th Air "upgrade" and it bottomed every single time on whimpy two foot wheelie drops. I suppose you could pump the shock up so hard that it acts like a hardtail but then you'd have to really ask yourself what the hell are buying a full-suspension bike for? You can't get suppleness and even small drop anti-bottoming together with the 5th Air - which is why I give it a thumbs down with the Heckler.

I bought a 5th coil and it's been excellent for bottoming resistance. I don't think I've ever bottomed it and I've dropped 4 foot to flat. I weigh about 150 - 155 lbs as well and am using a 300 lb/in. shock (as you already know) but am looking to go lighter because I still think I have headroom to more fully utilize the rear suspension.

I have the Manitou 4-way Swinger on my Big Hit DH and love it. It feels livelier than the 5th Coil - not as sluggish on the compression. I heard the Fox DHX feels as good or better than the Swinger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.