Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and two riders will be visiting Bootleg Canyon on Saturday or Sunday. Looking for about 8 to 11 miles of XC trails preferrably a loop with not all uphill, and something that isn't going to freak out a newbie. Granted if stuff gets too rough they'll have to walk it. This needs to be fun guys, I'm trying to hook another friend into the sport, not make them hate me for dragging them out there.

Thanks in advance, I know people ask the same questions like this all the time.
 

·
.........................
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
Hmmm

Umbrous said:
Myself and two riders will be visiting Bootleg Canyon on Saturday or Sunday. Looking for about 8 to 11 miles of XC trails preferrably a loop with not all uphill, and something that isn't going to freak out a newbie. Granted if stuff gets too rough they'll have to walk it. This needs to be fun guys, I'm trying to hook another friend into the sport, not make them hate me for dragging them out there.

Thanks in advance, I know people ask the same questions like this all the time.
You might be better off taking noobs out to the cottonwood trails. If Bootleg is the destination though, check out the website. www.bootlegcanyon.org
The Xc trails are marked on that map in color coded difficulty level. You will be hard pressed to find a route without climbing though. I would recomend the lower and middle lakeveiw loop. Possibly the easiest XC route would be UP girlscout and around caldera clockwise and back down girlscout. that's about 8 miles i think. Bootleg is pretty technical and rocky. It does have it's fast flowing sections but, don't expect alot of smooth ST. Enjoy!
 

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E ! said:
You might be better off taking noobs out to the cottonwood trails. If Bootleg is the destination though, check out the website. www.bootlegcanyon.org
The Xc trails are marked on that map in color coded difficulty level. You will be hard pressed to find a route without climbing though. I would recomend the lower and middle lakeveiw loop. Possibly the easiest XC route would be UP girlscout and around caldera clockwise and back down girlscout. that's about 8 miles i think. Bootleg is pretty technical and rocky. It does have it's fast flowing sections but, don't expect alot of smooth ST. Enjoy!
I hadn't thought about anything but bootleg, perhaps cottonwood might be a better choice. I've always wanted to check out bootleg, but doing so might be a bit selfish to my friends who are new to riding. I'll research where cottonwood is and think about it, otherwise the loop you mention with caldera does look pretty good.

Thanks.
 

·
Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
Joined
·
380 Posts
Umbrous said:
Myself and two riders will be visiting Bootleg Canyon on Saturday or Sunday. Looking for about 8 to 11 miles of XC trails preferrably a loop with not all uphill, and something that isn't going to freak out a newbie. Granted if stuff gets too rough they'll have to walk it. This needs to be fun guys, I'm trying to hook another friend into the sport, not make them hate me for dragging them out there.

Thanks in advance, I know people ask the same questions like this all the time.
My idea of an "easy Bootleg ride" - Park at the restrooms and ride your bike up and down the pathway going from the parking area to the restrooms a couple times.

E!'s suggestion of Cottonwood is appropriate, however what might also be a good idea for Bootleg would be to take the newbs to the middle parking lot and ride the new Inner Caldera trail (don't know if it has been formally named yet) or the original Caldera trail once or twice or both. They are approx 3 and 5 miles respectively. Girlscout is about 1.3 miles and is a gradual uphill to the middle parking lot. You could also drop them off at the middle and ride up girlscout yourself to meet them, that way they can also ride back down Girlscout. The middle and lower Rivermountain loops are good, but be advised that the DH trails cross them and watch for riders crossing where you see the yellow painted rocks.

P.S. We have a nice restroom facility with running water and showers, so please don't leave poopy on our trails.
 

·
L1MEY
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
From a newbie's point of view, Bootleg is pretty challenging. A lot of the climbing is pretty steep (it's a granny-gear fest for me), but if your friend is quite fit then it shouldn't be a problem. The tough thing for newbies is the rocks... if you fall at Bootleg it always hurts. Personally I always wear armour when I ride there, just for the peace of mind and the fact that it has saved me from some nasty cuts and bruises twice (I think E! and Wherewolf witnessed me slide out in a curve there and crack open my helmet on a rock :rolleyes: )

From my experience, the trails I have ridden and am comfortable with riding are: Girlscout both up & down (I'd say this is my favourite), Caldera clockwise, Lower & Middle Lake View, POW, IMBA and Par None. You can easily make a nice loop from these. However, if your friend is a total newbie I'd follow E!'s suggestion and go to Cottonwood instead.

- Jen.
 

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mahgnillig said:
From a newbie's point of view, Bootleg is pretty challenging. A lot of the climbing is pretty steep (it's a granny-gear fest for me), but if your friend is quite fit then it shouldn't be a problem. The tough thing for newbies is the rocks... if you fall at Bootleg it always hurts. Personally I always wear armour when I ride there, just for the peace of mind and the fact that it has saved me from some nasty cuts and bruises twice (I think E! and Wherewolf witnessed me slide out in a curve there and crack open my helmet on a rock :rolleyes: )

From my experience, the trails I have ridden and am comfortable with riding are: Girlscout both up & down (I'd say this is my favourite), Caldera clockwise, Lower & Middle Lake View, POW, IMBA and Par None. You can easily make a nice loop from these. However, if your friend is a total newbie I'd follow E!'s suggestion and go to Cottonwood instead.

- Jen.
Yeah I did some research and I'm thinking I'll go to Cottonwood. I found what I hope is a good map on this site: http://www.barta-nv.com/ , from the searches I did everyone says Red Valley is a good trail, so I'm going to hook up some sort of loop with it I guess. Although I'm not sure if I should ride it heading North or South....hmm I'm sure gravity will figure it out for me. Anyways, hopefully the trails aren't too numerous out there that I get confused and miss the good stuff.

I'll be out there with 2 old military friends tomorrow around 2pm (hopefully the warmest part of the day, yeah that's right I'm from Phoenix, so 58 degrees is a bit cool for me).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Maybe if I can hook my friend who lives in Vegas he'll get into biking and then next time we can hit up Bootleg.
 

·
It rains here. :(
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good time

A few things I learned in Vegas:

1. Cottonwood trailhead has a sign near the road that says "Old Spanish Trail" this confused me and caused me to pass the trailhead. After a few miles it became rather evident.

2. The Brew Pub at the Monte Carlo is as slow as hell....never again.

3. Upon arriving late at intended trailhead, there is no sunlight to warm you. A darn thing know as a mountain is in the way.

4. All uphill from the get go isn't always the best. In the rush to just be riding before dark, we venture on the first trail we see. Riding is basically all uphill until the newbs gasp and complain they are freezing.

5. Red Valley is not so much fun to climb, but a blast to descend.

I'll be back when I have more time to spend on the trails. Still overall a sucess, the newbs talked about how fun coming down Red Valley was all the way home.
 

·
Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
Joined
·
380 Posts
Umbrous said:
A few things I learned in Vegas:

1. Cottonwood trailhead has a sign near the road that says "Old Spanish Trail" this confused me and caused me to pass the trailhead. After a few miles it became rather evident.

2. The Brew Pub at the Monte Carlo is as slow as hell....never again.

3. Upon arriving late at intended trailhead, there is no sunlight to warm you. A darn thing know as a mountain is in the way.

4. All uphill from the get go isn't always the best. In the rush to just be riding before dark, we venture on the first trail we see. Riding is basically all uphill until the newbs gasp and complain they are freezing.

5. Red Valley is not so much fun to climb, but a blast to descend.

I'll be back when I have more time to spend on the trails. Still overall a sucess, the newbs talked about how fun coming down Red Valley was all the way home.
Dang, if I would have known you didn't like climbing, I would have recommended the Cowboy Trails instead. Next time you'll have to come out with us.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top