Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which handlebar would you choose when strength and durability are prime importance?

• Easton Monkeylite XC (31.8 x 685mm)

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Ritchey WCS Carbon Low Rizer (31.8 x 660mm)

Votes: 17 39.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which handle bar to get that will replace my current ~160g heavier Easton EA30 handle bar. Do any of you fellow mtbr's have experience with both and why would you choose one over the other? Or if you have an alternative suggestion, I would appreciate if you post it, it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
134 Posts
Replay

I've been looking at these 2 bars as well, the EC70 can be cut down according to the Easton site, but the Ritchey wcs has metal inserts in the ends for barends, so I'm not sure if they can be shortened. I would need to cut them down a bit as they are a little wide for me. Must admit the wcs looks better that the eastons bars.

·
Registered
342 Posts
roadrunner said:
I've been looking at these 2 bars as well, the EC70 can be cut down according to the Easton site, but the Ritchey wcs has metal inserts in the ends for barends, so I'm not sure if they can be shortened. I would need to cut them down a bit as they are a little wide for me. Must admit the wcs looks better that the eastons bars.
I would guess that as long as you are not going to run bar ends, the WCS can be cut too. It's just easier for Ritchey if they say you can't. Since cutting it is an irreversible decision I would suggest riding with it at normal width for a while.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
dejacky said:
It seems like this test is commenting the Ritchey carbon handle bar as being stronger than the Easton monkeylite:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=461412
You have to read that whole thread because the test involved overtorquing the stem bolts and seeing how the bars survived when installed improperly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another NEXT fan...

Another vote here for the NEXT SL. My brother has a Monkeylite, I think it is ugly but how important are looks ;) . The NEXT 'feels' good; it dampens well while not feeling flexy. I thought it was a frivolous purchase when I got it; I have since changed my mind and now I think it was one of the better component upgrades I have done.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I have the Monkeylite SL and WCS Carbon Rizer. I like both. I got the MonkeyLite first a few years back and recently got the WCS to match my WCS carbon seatpost for my Scott Spark. The WCS looks nicer and has a glossy finish. The monkeylite is a bit older and retro to me. They both are very stiff and feel way better than any alloy handle bar and good for dampening vibration. I love them both.

·
Registered
190 Posts
CupOfJava said:
I have the Monkeylite SL and WCS Carbon Rizer. I like both. I got the MonkeyLite first a few years back and recently got the WCS to match my WCS carbon seatpost for my Scott Spark. The WCS looks nicer and has a glossy finish. The monkeylite is a bit older and retro to me. They both are very stiff and feel way better than any alloy handle bar and good for dampening vibration. I love them both.
CupOfJava, do you have the 25.4mm version? I've been looking at both handlebars (as well as the Next SL), but there's one piece of info I can't seem to find: the length of the grip area. Can you measure this length on your bars for me? It's the distance from the end of the bar to the tapered area. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do the aluminium inserts on the WCS bars come out. If they do then I guess I could cut the bars and put the inserts back in. I want to use bar ends. Also if the bars have inserts in them do normal size bar end plugs fit in.
They are 660mm, I have found that my optimum size is 610mm.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
roadrunner said:
Do the aluminium inserts on the WCS bars come out. If they do then I guess I could cut the bars and put the inserts back in. I want to use bar ends. Also if the bars have inserts in them do normal size bar end plugs fit in.
They are 660mm, I have found that my optimum size is 610mm.
Check out the Easton site you CAN use bar ends with their bars despite them not having an insert.
I have used Easton EC70's on my SS and geared bikes both with and without bar ends for a few years now with absolutely no issues.
I have used Cane Creek Ergo's and Singletrack Solutions bar ends.
I am currently using Ergon Magnesiums on a Ritchey WCS which are working fine too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.