Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see various models of this on ebay. Some have CNT, some just have Monkey Lite SL and some have Zyvex on the bars.

I assume this is the different model years.

Question: are the different model years made out of different material. Assuming later years would be stronger?

thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
mtbdcd said:
I see various models of this on ebay. Some have CNT, some just have Monkey Lite SL and some have Zyvex on the bars.

I assume this is the different model years.

Question: are the different model years made out of different material. Assuming later years would be stronger?

thanks.
Any of those bars will be fine for strictly XC riding. Theoretically the CNT ones are supposed to be stronger, if you believe the marketing dept. CNT = carbon nanotube tech. They just really dump some small small nanotube structures into the epoxy, so it's not like the main carbon fibers are any different. I'm dubious that does much.

I've been running a non CNT monkeylite SL for 3 years now. It's strong enough. Just buy something that's new. I'd be scared to ride on carbon bars that I don't know its crash history. Also, the only thing with the SL is it comes only in 25.4mm version... just FYI.

GL
-don

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I use the 25.4. Not that much of a fan of 31.8. Never really had a problem with 25.4 clamp size. Guess with the 31.8 you can use road stems too.

I have the CNT version on one bike and was going to put this bar on my other bike. But did not know the difference between nothing, CNT and CNT xyvex.

Good point about used bars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.