Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get the rear hub serviced on a set of 09 Easton AM Havoc wheels. There's seems to be some side to side play and I think I might even need new bearings. It's my understanding that not all bike shops service factory wheels like this? Any thoughts on what shop I should take it to? I live a bit north of Denver, but am willing to drive a bit. I don't really want to send it into Easton and wait a few weeks or a month to get it back.

I was going to call a bunch of shops, but figured this might be faster. Any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
BaeckerX1 said:
I need to get the rear hub serviced on a set of 09 Easton AM Havoc wheels. There's seems to be some side to side play and I think I might even need new bearings. It's my understanding that not all bike shops service factory wheels like this? Any thoughts on what shop I should take it to? I live a bit north of Denver, but am willing to drive a bit. I don't really want to send it into Easton and wait a few weeks or a month to get it back.

I was going to call a bunch of shops, but figured this might be faster. Any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks.
Is there no bearing preload adjustment on the hub? Can you feel the bearings when you spin the wheel in hand? If not, maybe dial in some preload (if it has it) and see...?

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Some Easton hubs, not sure if yours is one or not, had an aluminum sleeve inside the freehub body that would wear. Unfortunately, they weren't supposed to wear so that sleeve on some hubs needs to be replaced. On the few that I've encountered, Easton replaced with steel sleeves. Any shop that does Bell/Giro/Easton should be able to diagnose and help you out.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pau11y said:
Is there no bearing preload adjustment on the hub? Can you feel the bearings when you spin the wheel in hand? If not, maybe dial in some preload (if it has it) and see...?
This particular wheel doesn't. The newer Easton wheels do, but the older Havoc doesn't. It's been a pretty good wheel so far, just think it's time for some TLC. Luckily it's now on the bike I don't ride as much anymore as my main bike got a wheel upgrade not long ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.