Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing the WTB Dual Duty wheelset (WTB spokes, WTB Laser Disc DH 20mm, and WTB SpeedDisc XC QR) of my San Andreas DNA and I've narrowed down my option to the Easton Havoc's that Jenson has on sale for $350 and my friend's very slightly used built wheel with DT Swiss 5.1d's, DT Champion spokes, and Hope Pro2 hubs.

I'm a heavy rider (210 lbs) and have bad line choices as I just tend to plow over stuff that is why my XC/Trail bike is a 7x7. The problems that I had with the WTB's was that the rear spokes keep on loosening just after a few rides. I have a spare Deetraks wheelset which I owned for 2 years and are bombproof but I find it too heavy for XC/Trail riding.

One of my buddies who is a few lbs heavier (230-ish) but rides less aggresively roll with the Easton Havocs but his rear spokes keep on loosening. He highly recommends his wheelset due to it's fast engagement and light weight. My buddy who is selling the built wheel for around the same price as the Havocs is a much lighter rider (160-ish) but he bent the 5.1d's when he hit a square edged rock. He got the wheel fixed and hasn't used it since.

The Havocs are brand new, very light, very good engagement, but the 24 count spokes might not take my style of riding. My friends built wheel have quality components but the rims are kinda soft.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
nickgto said:
The Havocs are brand new, very light, very good engagement, but the 24 count spokes might not take my style of riding. My friends built wheel have quality components but the rims are kinda soft.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.
I am 230 and hit rock gardens hard and not smoothly. My DT5.1 are the same as the day I got them, 2 years on them now. The hope pro II hubs are great, I don't have to worry about grenading freehub bodies with them (unlike XT).

Custom (read: hand-built) wheels are going to be tons better. The havocs are a deal, that is for sure, but at your weight I would go hand-built.

They are about the same weight. The DTs will go UST, or you can run either tubeless.

edit: And when you say that your budy ad the 5.1 fixed, you mean they replaced the rim, right? There is no "bending" wheels back into shape.
The Havocs spokes are coming loose because they are machine built.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CharacterZero said:
I am 230 and hit rock gardens hard and not smoothly. My DT5.1 are the same as the day I got them, 2 years on them now. The hope pro II hubs are great, I don't have to worry about grenading freehub bodies with them (unlike XT).

Custom (read: hand-built) wheels are going to be tons better. The havocs are a deal, that is for sure, but at your weight I would go hand-built.

They are about the same weight. The DTs will go UST, or you can run either tubeless.

edit: And when you say that your budy ad the 5.1 fixed, you mean they replaced the rim, right? There is no "bending" wheels back into shape.
The Havocs spokes are coming loose because they are machine built.
Yes they did replace the rim but I just found out that they replaced it with Mavic 819's at the front so it's whacked right now. I'm waitin for them to replace it with the right rim; till then I just I have wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Berkley said:
It's a very sweet deal! I was suppose to grab it last week but my friend's wheelset was also worth considering. My other buddy that uses them told me that the '08's
come with brass nipples which was an upgrade from the previous models. Their website doesn't mention anything about it though? He did change the rear nipples of his rear Havocs to brass and he said it doesn't get loose like before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Everybody bagging on the Havoc's and seeing in every wheelset thread ever, at least a few posts saying DT5.1/Hope2's, is getting annoying, they work good, that's great, but if no one ever tries anything else, how will anyone ever know if there is truly something better than the Godly 5.1/2 combo?


I've been very happy with my Havoc's, and they were cheaper than the wonder wheelset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
deranged said:
Everybody bagging on the Havoc's and seeing in every wheelset thread ever, at least a few posts saying DT5.1/Hope2's, is getting annoying, they work good, that's great, but if no one ever tries anything else, how will anyone ever know if there is truly something better than the Godly 5.1/2 combo?
I don't know what you're talking about people "bagging" on Havoc wheels, but what does that tell you when a lot of people recommend a certain combo? Maybe because A LOT of people have had great results with them?

I don't have the money to just try a wheelset :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Bubba74 said:
I don't know what you're talking about people "bagging" on Havoc wheels, but what does that tell you when a lot of people recommend a certain combo? Maybe because A LOT of people have had great results with them?

I don't have the money to just try a wheelset :rolleyes:
Sheep. :madman:

I don't have the money to just go buy a wheelset because a bunch of dudes on the intrawebs say its the bestest wheelset EVAR!!! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
deranged said:
I don't have the money to just go buy a wheelset because a bunch of dudes on the intrawebs say its the bestest wheelset EVAR!!! :rolleyes:
LMAO, go work for consumer reports then :rolleyes:

I take all information into consideration, not just internet forums, or "intrawebs" as you call it. The OP was asking for opinions and that is what he is getting. So quit bagging on people because they like their 5.1/pro II combo.

Sheesh...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top