Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the bar very carefully using carbon paste and a torque wrench making sure to adhere to the 6nm stem torque and 3 nm brake lever torque. When I installed the left brake lever i heard a click and upon inspection saw a hairline crack where the mount was in contact with the handlebar.

I then removed the bar to inspect the clamping area and there were 4 indentations from the clamp (installed at 5,5nm which is 0,5nm lower than the stem manufacturers max torque of 6nm)

I have installed many handlebars and have never seen a bar crack at 3nm torque. I am sure this is a manufacturing defect and would like to register a warranty claim against the defective handlebar, but Chainreaction cycles will not submit the claim and blame to high torque for the issues....How do I register a warranty directly with Easton?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the bar very carefully using carbon paste and a torque wrench making sure to adhere to the 6nm stem torque and 3 nm brake lever torque. When I installed the left brake lever i heard a click and upon inspection saw a hairline crack where the mount was in contact with the handlebar.

I then removed the bar to inspect the clamping area and there were 4 indentations from the clamp (installed at 5,5nm which is 0,5nm lower than the stem manufacturers max torque of 6nm)

I have installed many handlebars and have never seen a bar crack at 3nm torque. I am sure this is a manufacturing defect and would like to register a warranty claim against the defective handlebar, but Chainreaction cycles will not submit the claim and blame to high torque for the issues....How do I register a warranty directly with Easton?
You didnt put carbon paste on when you were doing the brakes did you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts