Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question is are Easton EA90 100mm stem with Easton EC90 MonkeyLite CNT SL 31.8 mm 1" low rise 635mm bar too light for trail riding.

I dont do high drops 2feet max, occasional stairs, lots roots and rocks. My local LBS said that those parts are ONLY for XC racers. Got me reading here some threads and people seem to use them in AM/Trail bikes, but like to know if safe.

They just dont snap under me?? And why buy these?? Great deal. Buy bar, get stem for free and they are light.

Thank You! :thumbsup:

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
You will probably see both answers. But yes they can just snap under you. (so can aluminum-just not as likely) Friend of mine had to have two snap on him before he said no more. Does your bike ever fall over? Do you let people work on your bike who might over tighten the stem? Do you ever fall off your bike? Cause one crack can propagate to failure.
With more and more carbon on peoples bikes, we will find out. Sounds like you want to find out too.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yeah, you aren't Kyle Strait, but you are pushing it a little.

You will probably be ok for a while on the Monkeylite SL, but if you are that aggressive, why not move up to the XC version? Or does 20 grams make the difference?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I don't really understand why people would try to save a few grams on something like a handlebar and stem. For the tiny bit of weight you save, you are putting your face (or more) on the line. Unless you're an aspiring racer, what's the point?

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
theextremist04 said:
because not all lightweight parts are significantly weaker. carbon is actually way stronger and lasts longer than aluminum, but it's not always layed up in a way that makes it so.
Stronger, Yes but only while it is intact. One scratch and it can fail. And the way it can fail is one moment you have a handlebar and then in an instant you don't. That image is just not a pretty one and its been a reality for some.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Sampo69 said:
So the question is are Easton EA90 100mm stem with Easton EC90 MonkeyLite CNT SL 31.8 mm 1" low rise 635mm bar too light for trail riding.

I dont do high drops 2feet max, occasional stairs, lots roots and rocks. My local LBS said that those parts are ONLY for XC racers. Got me reading here some threads and people seem to use them in AM/Trail bikes, but like to know if safe.

They just dont snap under me?? And why buy these?? Great deal. Buy bar, get stem for free and they are light.

Maybe ask someone at Easton or see what the bars are tested to. 2 ft is XC as is rocks and roots. Scratches on carbon is no problem. Gouges are. Whether or not the bar is up to this is not dependant upon carbon but what kinds of stresses the bars are designed to handle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talking like these Carbon Bars are like breadsticks. Need to tone it down a notch.
LBS breaker deal is over and those bars went like hotcakes.
Anyhoo... Still thinking what to get, but MonkeyLite XC 685mm bar seems to be best choice. Canyon and Orange use it in there AM bikes.
But im still lookin....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the Monkey Lite Carbon risers with a 90mm on an old-skool SC Heckler. I cut them down about an inch (like I do all my bars).

I beat the crap out of that bike. Finally had to retire the frame after I bent the rear triangle going off a 3-foot drop.

Anyway, I never had a problem with the bars. I did keep them clean and inspected them often.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've been using Easton monkey lite XC 31.8x685 for about 18 months with a Thomson stem on my Heckler with no problems, I just check them like the rest of the bike each time I clean it, the bars are really comfortable and I find in the winter much warmer to ride.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,579 Posts
Sampo69 said:

From the riding you do, I think these would be fine. I see nothing to make me think carbon bars from a good company like easton are more dangerous than an aluminum bar. I have used the xc version for years for AM riding. Plenty of others do as well. Like others have said, a scratch in the clearcoat does NOT weaken them. I don't know about everyone else, but I have so much stuff on my bars that I don't even have all that much bar exposed. Crashed too many times to count, and never gouged them, just a lot of scratches in the clearcoat. I replaced it after 4 years just to be safe, but I would have done the same with aluminum. Actaully, you should replace aluminum sooner than CF

I have only personally (as in not over the net) known one person to break a bar resulting in injury. It was aluminum.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
You're perfectly fine with it. There's a lot of people that are irrationally scared of carbon. I understand that it's their prerogative as it's their choice but there are literally hundreds of thousands of these bars in existence being used every day for riding that is much more demanding that what you are describing. The few "horror" stories on MTBR from some guy you don't even know is insignificant compared to ALL the users out there. I would actually say that carbon bars, especially Eastons probably have the fewest warranty claims due to failure than ANY other mtb component. Yes, the problem is that if the bar does break, most often it will be a catastrophic accident. That is a legitimate concern....but take airplane accidents....your survival rate for airline accidents has got to horrendous, but it's much safer overall than cars.

Here's my experience: All of my friends have ridden carbon bars (mostly the Easton XC's however since the SL's were just very pricey), but 2 of them had SL's. They BEAT their bike to death.....doing 4-5 ft. drops without any problem for YEARS. I've had 3-4 carbon bars....replaced them not because of damage/wear but because I wanted either a wider or taller bar (and most recently, a 31.8). I've never been worried about it breaking...there were scratches on it from the grips, shifters, brakes and just from falls....but nothing I gave a 2nd thought about.

I understand that you don't have to listen to me either.....I'm "just some guy". But you should think about what you hear on these boards with a little bit of skepticism.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,579 Posts
ddraewwg said:
Yes, the problem is that if the bar does break, most often it will be a catastrophic accident. That is a legitimate concern....but take airplane accidents....your survival rate for airline accidents has got to horrendous, but it's much safer overall than cars.
That's a good way to put it.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
Try putting it this way...
Does carbon fail - yes
Can you see it coming - probably not
Will it hurt - probably for days, weeks or months
What is the chance of it happening - if you are an aggressive rider the chances are much better, if you just pedal a bike and don't do anything with it, who cares what you use, you're not going to break anything.
there are somethings on bikes that if they break, they can hurt you bad. Bars are high on the list. By riding carbon bars you increase your risk. If you want to, do it. Just don't pretend its safe or as safe as aluminum, cause its not (yes I know aluminum breaks too).
Basically if you are a two dimensional rider, you have no problems. If you are a 3D rider, then you are increasing your risk of a very bad crash.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.