Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone is using this stem.. .I've read the reviews but want more input on it... considering buying one being they're on for 19.00 on Ebay right now

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dogonfr said:
Dont think i would have faith in two pins holding my bars in place, call me old school but i trust bolts. If the bar slips with bolt only 1 person to blame, the nut holding the handlebar.
Thats my phobia...being a big guy and i do reef quite abit o nthe bars, the stem could kill me i nthe end lol.
only wanted to see if the one bolt/pin configuration was ok.

I think i will look for a 4 bolt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine is ok.

wickerman1 said:
Just curious if anyone is using this stem.. .I've read the reviews but want more input on it... considering buying one being they're on for 19.00 on Ebay right now
I run mine with my easton carbon bars and have never had any problems. The stem is pretty heavy, but not a tank, if weight is an issue. I like the nice smooth, continuous clamping area (no cut away where the inner clamp bit meets the stem propper). The pin through the hinge has never bothered me, but I only use it for xc and trail riding on my epic.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
have had it for a year

It's on the bike I use as a spare or for riding distance on easier stuff. Obviously I'm not doing any drops with it, but then again, it has never given me anything to worry about either. I guess I could do some drops (frame wouldn't make it out alive, though). Yes, I too was slightly afraid of one bolt and some hinges. Once you get it on, though, it will feel really stiff and strong. You have my word as a 235# clyde who likes to bash on gear.

·
Registered
388 Posts
wickerman1 said:
I don't use this stem - but I wonder why you would pay $19 from some shady character on ebay when you can buy a new one from Performance Bicycles for $9.99? Page 10 of the Holiday Gift Guide Catalog that I received in the mail yesterday...

EDIT: I just checked the Performance web site and can't find the stem anywhere. It is listed on page 10 of the holiday section in their latest catalog (really, it is). Regularly $99.99, reduced to $9.99. Is the holiday over already?

·
Ride on
639 Posts
works for me

I use an EA70 with my carbon bar as well, and so far it has served me well. I prefer the hinged interface because I'm more worried about the risk of uneven clamping force crimping my bars and causing failure there. I have seen more pictures of gory accidents caused by snapped handlebars than stem/bar problems.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
gunfodder said:
I use an EA70 with my carbon bar as well, and so far it has served me well. I prefer the hinged interface because I'm more worried about the risk of uneven clamping force crimping my bars and causing failure there. I have seen more pictures of gory accidents caused by snapped handlebars than stem/bar problems.
Where are these gory pictures of which you speak?

Dude, you can't just leave us hanging; we need examples in order to convince us. ;)

·
Ride on
639 Posts
guess I'm a tease

Guyechka said:
Where are these gory pictures of which you speak?

Dude, you can't just leave us hanging; we need examples in order to convince us. ;)
I don't have any pictures of handlebar carnage. If you need more convincing you should take a look at the EA70. The hinge looks and feels more solid than screws. It can be a chore finding the right size though. I checked all the lowest priced listings and they were for odd lengths and/or the grey version. I had to pay extra to get a black 90mm unit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got one from Supergo for $5. It's 120mm and 10 degree rise. I bought it for a bike I built but I took it off because I'd like to have one with 0 degree rise. I wouldn't have an issue with the stem otherwise. I rode it for about 10-15 miles with a few drops. Let me know if you are interested. I'd sell it to you for $5 + shipping.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carl1266 said:
I got one from Supergo for $5. It's 120mm and 10 degree rise. I bought it for a bike I built but I took it off because I'd like to have one with 0 degree rise. I wouldn't have an issue with the stem otherwise. I rode it for about 10-15 miles with a few drops. Let me know if you are interested. I'd sell it to you for $5 + shipping.
PM me i'll certainly buy it

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil said:
I don't use this stem - but I wonder why you would pay $19 from some shady character on ebay when you can buy a new one from Performance Bicycles for $9.99? Page 10 of the Holiday Gift Guide Catalog that I received in the mail yesterday...

EDIT: I just checked the Performance web site and can't find the stem anywhere. It is listed on page 10 of the holiday section in their latest catalog (really, it is). Regularly $99.99, reduced to $9.99. Is the holiday over already?
It isnt a shady guy on Ebay... he's a reputable seller and thats 19 CAD not US.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.