Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a set of these for my 2005 Iron Horse Mk3. Any opinions good or bad? $ 349.00 a pair right now seems like a good deal. Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
MK357 said:
I'm thinking about a set of these for my 2005 Iron Horse Mk3. Any opinions good or bad? $ 349.00 a pair right now seems like a good deal. Thanks
I've been running these wheels since 2006 and I have no problems with it what so ever! these wheelset are pretty light and recently I convert it to tubeless using the ghetto method and it's holding really good! so far. the engagement is really good. and at $349 its even better!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think I will order them tomorrow. Most of the quotes I've had are around two hundred bucks to build just a rear wheel. This way I'll have a front spare.

·
Registered
998 Posts
My set just arrived today, they do look pretty sweet. The QR to 20mm change is very simple. Early reviews mentioned problems with front cones (QR or 20mm) falling out when front wheel was off the bike. They must have changed the design as it doesn't look like front cones (20mm or 9mm qr) will fallout when off of a bike as it takes a reasonable amount of effort to pull them out.

I just wish that the rear wheel would come as 10mm axle rather than the little QR.

Now to get them on the bike.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have been beating on these wheels for about 2.5 years and they have been great (I am about 190lbs and I beat the heak out of them on rocky trails in Colorado). Broken a couple of spokes which is par for the course for any wheel but the rims have stayed true and have had no problems with the hubs.

My only complaint has been the darn 20mm conversion cap. I lost an adapter in Moab which cut my trip short due to no shop carrying a replacement. I would recommend ordering additional adapters from your LBS and putting them in your tool kit. An extra set was like $10. Unless they changed the design, they fall out real easily when the wheel is off the bike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
rockyuphill said:
It is a nice kit that is quite simple to install. I had a chance to try a Beta of the axle kit in March.
they said the kit will be available mid June for $80 (the last time I called) and I've been lazy to drive out to Easton Headquarters to pick up the kit eventhough they're just down the street from where I live :D

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Is the 10mm conversion a true through-bolt or is it bolt on end caps?? I had asked this question to Easton on the phone and they called back and left a message that it was available ($80 like you said) but I had also e-mailed their tech department and they e-mailed back today saying they didn't have a through-bolt conversion, just a bolt on.

Here's a copy of the e-mail...

"Kent,

No, the Havoc hubs are not convertible to 10mm through axle, but they are convertible to 10mm Bolt - On. (separate bolts on both sides, not a through bolt) Give our tech department a call toll free at 1.800.347.3901 x 5751 or 5753 and they can take you order, or issue you a RA to have your wheel sent in for service.

Customer Service,

Easton Sports Inc."

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I assume those bolts are 10mm where they contact the dropouts and it appears the threads are the same diameter so the question is: is the axle hollow through its entire length and if so, why couldn't you simply slip a 10X135 DT RWS through and call it good? Anyone?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The new axle has a 6mm hole through the middle, the 10mm bolt holes are threaded about 30mm deep. The axle carries the hub bearings, so it is stepped between 13 and 15mm on the outside. This is the QR axle out of the hub, but the bolt on axle has the same shape.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.