Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my bar/stem to the monster Easton 35mm. That thing is a sight to behold, calling it burly would be an understatement.
A couple of rides on it though had me saying "mercy".
I have suffered from zero hand fatigue issues, but at the end of my rides on this beast my forearms and hands were aching.
Maybe on a DH bike with a super plush setup, but on an AM bike I don't know.
These bars had me feelin' like a pu$$y. Maybe I just need to eat more spinach!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Give it time, you'll be getting tingling feelings in the ends of your fingers, that's your median nerve disappearing off and up into your wrist while the digital branches cry tiny electric tears...

Get a set of bars with some flex in them! Or at the very least buy some foam grips, those 35mm bars don't seem to be designed to do anything other than punish.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have to say these bars are amazing in terms of control over the bike. They felt like they were bossing it around.
Maybe I need to just play with the angle of the bars some, like someone suggested. Either way, if you want the rest of your bike or yourself to feel inadequate, slap some of these bars on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Be great to see your setup [picc's]

I'm interested in Ttying Eastons 35mm std on my DH bike with they're new direct mount stem.

Not so sure on 35mm std on the AM bike, I run a Havoc carbon bar at 740mm cut down 10mm as I found 750mm gave me too much leverage over the bike, I love wide bars and being wide shouldered its a great fit, but even I found it too much on my Am bike, maybe its the light stiff carbon frame and build I dunno.

The fatigue issue on a trail bike is also one thing but also Easton recommend not cutting down 35mm std below 750mm as they're won't be enough room for brakes shifters controls I see this a limitation for some.

The fatigue could also be coming from the fact your bars are just too wide on an AM bike possibly not from the stiffness, but the position stretch etc.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be great to see your setup [picc's]

I'm interested in Ttying Eastons 35mm std on my DH bike with they're new direct mount stem.

Not so sure on 35mm std on the AM bike, I run a Havoc carbon bar at 740mm cut down 10mm as I found 750mm gave me too much leverage over the bike, I love wide bars and being wide shouldered its a great fit, but even I found it too much on my Am bike, maybe its the light stiff carbon frame and build I dunno.

The fatigue issue on a trail bike is also one thing but also Easton recommend not cutting down 35mm std below 750mm as they're won't be enough room for brakes shifters controls I see this a limitation for some.

The fatigue could also be coming from the fact your bars are just too wide on an AM bike possibly not from the stiffness, but the position stretch etc.
I am pretty used to wide bars. Previous to this I had Diety Black Labels(which are 31"). The Eastons are 31.5". When I do the "pushup" test, I am at a 30"plus spread. Not that this is a super accurate test, but the bottom line is that 30"plus bars work for me.
I adjusted the angle a bit, and also adjusted my lever position so maybe that will take care of things. Will see tomorrow.
These bars are definitely something to behold in person, and experience. If I had a DH bike I would snag a set in a heartbeat. They are perhaps a little excessive on an AM bike, but I'm all for excess. They definitely have their advantages even in this arena, I just have to be less of a pu$$y.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am pretty used to wide bars. Previous to this I had Diety Black Labels(which are 31"). The Eastons are 31.5". When I do the "pushup" test, I am at a 30"plus spread. Not that this is a super accurate test, but the bottom line is that 30"plus bars work for me.
I adjusted the angle a bit, and also adjusted my lever position so maybe that will take care of things. Will see tomorrow.
These bars are definitely something to behold in person, and experience. If I had a DH bike I would snag a set in a heartbeat. They are perhaps a little excessive on an AM bike, but I'm all for excess. They definitely have their advantages even in this arena, I just have to be less of a pu$$y.
Ahh all good that's massive I wish I could have kept the wider width and not lost the control, I think my bike is so flick able and with short stays short stem I don't need the width for control I would have liked it though as I'm a bigger guy and ride hard but pretty smooth.

Love to see your setup though, and you have me very interested in trying it out on my DH bike now. it does look bad ass big and bad. enjoy.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Playing with the angle of the bars made all the difference. No numbness on todays ride, just beastly control. Cut the bars to 31" from 31.5", feel better in getting the bike leaned over.
Glad I didn't give up on them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Morandi

Also check your brake levers, too high or too low will give you pain at the forearms, you changed the handlebars, maybe it`s not how it was before....just a thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Playing with the angle of the bars made all the difference. No numbness on todays ride, just beastly control. Cut the bars to 31" from 31.5", feel better in getting the bike leaned over.
Glad I didn't give up on them.
Did you roll the bars back?

I've found with Easton bars did the same myself even though they looked right, I'm not a fan of the markings on the front of the bar prefer them on top so you can line up the center markings with the stem face plate top gap, no one seems to do this anymore [bar makers] my Renthals were the same.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you roll the bars back?

I've found with Easton bars did the same myself even though they looked right, I'm not a fan of the markings on the front of the bar prefer them on top so you can line up the center markings with the stem face plate top gap, no one seems to do this anymore [bar makers] my Renthals were the same.
Yeah, I just rolled them back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I will sell my 35mm Carbon bar and direct mount and stay with my trusty Chromag osx bar.
This thing is WAY too stiff and the bar bend just doesn't feel right. I tried many settings but my hands and wrists hurts every time. Very disappointed...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been liking my Easton 35mm. The only pain is that my light mount won't fit on the bars. Grrrrr.

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Currently, I run my 780mm Chromag Fubar OSX and their HiFi stem in a 50mm reach. So far it is great, but I do hope to borrow this setup to give it a shot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
And this is why I still think 25.4 bars are the best, enough flex to damp trail chatter, and plenty strong.

I think a study was done a few years ago that found that 25.4 bars, at the same weight were stronger than 31.8. Can't find a copy though.

Or maybe I'm stuck in 1995....

Matt

·
Broken but on the mend
972 Posts
I will sell my 35mm Carbon bar and direct mount and stay with my trusty Chromag osx bar.
This thing is WAY too stiff and the bar bend just doesn't feel right. I tried many settings but my hands and wrists hurts every time. Very disappointed...
i will be happy to take them off your hands

1 - 20 of 20 Posts