Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I have red hair
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on the SS thread, but thought I'd get a 29er rider perspective too. Anybody have any thought on the Easton One XC SS 29er wheels?? Good/Bad?? The weight on them is pretty good at 1695g, so I was thinking of picking up a pair. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have a road version of that - Orion II, and they are very nice. 36pt engagement on the xc one, if that matters to you. They are solid. I have seen them in the bike shop and they are built well.

·
I have red hair
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing I'm worried about is how well they'd hold up. I'm on a rigid SS, and I'm not by any means a lightweight (about 220). Needless to say, I'm pretty tough on wheels, but I think the WTB boat anchors I have for wheels now have to go...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Stans flows

RedGreen said:
The thing I'm worried about is how well they'd hold up. I'm on a rigid SS, and I'm not by any means a lightweight (about 220). Needless to say, I'm pretty tough on wheels, but I think the WTB boat anchors I have for wheels now have to go...
At your weight I would build Stan Flows with Hope hubs. I would pass on the Eastons which is more a race wheelset and contact Chad at Red Barn cycles to build you a set. They should be under $500 and you wont regret it.....

Trust me, when it comes to wheels, a custom set is the ticket....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I have these wheels on my full rigid El Comandante. I don't really care for them. I am in the category of riders that don't like the wheel flex, and these flex. Reading the reviews here on the XC Ones it appears some people have had bearing issues. I haven't written a review, but I have bearing adjustment issues.

Mine make a random random "popping" noise in the freewheel like you mention in your review GT. There is no pattern to it. I rode a gravel century a couple of weeks ago with my brother and the wheels didn't make a sound all day. I rode the bike around the neighborhood with my wife after dinner a few nights ago and it popped pretty loudly a couple of times.

I agree with what others have said about the bearings being smooth, but I can't seem to keep mine adjusted. I can adjust the bearing free play up by turning the end cap on the hub, but as I ride they loosen up. Again, there is no real pattern to this. Sometimes they stay good for many miles. On one training ride before the century the front wheel got so loose after about 15 miles that the front brake was dragging and it felt like I had a low tire. I adjusted the bearing on the side of the road and the brake was dragging again in a half an hour. To make a long story short, I ended up taking the front brake off the bike before I got home. I rode the century without a front brake because I really didn't want to have to deal with it if it did keep loosing up. Went the full 108 miles without any real issue. There really is no pattern to it.

The rear wheel loosens up too but not nearly a bad as the front. The Easton web page says they are self adjusting. I guess I could take them apart again and put Lock-Tite on the adjusting cap. More likely that I will just sell them and get some better wheels.

These seem to be hit and miss. I guess Easton has some quality control issues or something.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I just learned that the Easton wheel line up on the mountain side will be upgraded to UST rims, this includes the 29"er wheels.

Also, as for the hub problems, Easton did change their hubs for 2009, to address previous issues. I am not aware that 2010 stuff has any more updates in the hubs, but Easton has been pretty responsive to issues with quality.

As for the bearings on the set we tested, they never came loose or needed any adjusting what so ever in over six months of ride time.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I"m going to be racing a set this coming weekend. We'll see how they go. I know I won't be using them on a regular basis - they're nominally the wheels for my wifes bike who's about 100lbs less than me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts