Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I'm coming down from Ontario, in a few weeks, for a few days of riding and am curious what the trail conditions are currently like?? I'll be riding the Chilhowee and Ocoee Whitewater Centre...

Has it be as wet there as everywhere else in the east??

How do the trails handle the wet?? Do they drain good or will it be a mudfest if it does rain.

Thanks,
Rich

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Come on down dude. The trails are in great shape currently. Weathers finally been good for a spell. Both trail systems mentioned do "ok" after a brief shower, but if it rains for days..well, you could run into some serious mud for sure. Tanasi will be the worst IMHO. Its got more red clay sectioned trails since its a newer system. The other is more Pisgah like, meaning less sanitzed trails, more rock gardens, roots, creekcrossings, etc. I like it better, not to say Tanasi isn't fun as hell. Ride both for all the food groups, making a great overnighter camping deal. Tanasi's more an endless roller coaster sorta, with a few moderate climbs. Love Cedar Mtn(or something like that), River Loops, etc. there the most. Do not leave without going down Thunder Rock Express ;). For Chilhowee, I usually park at the bottom of Clemmer, climb up it...ride all the loops up on the plateau(Slick Rock, Azela, etc), then bomb back down Clemmer at the end of the days ride. Good camping for both trail systems at Thunder Rock CG.

Hell, let us know when your coming. That is if you need some company. Been looking to do Chilhowee again for awhile now.

Duck

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll be from Monday August 30th to Thursday September 2nd. We're staying at my wife's aunt and uncle's place in Reliance. It's about a 30 minute drive away. We'll be riding on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The last ride will be a morning one for sure before we head back.

We'll be in Pisgah and Tsali the week before so the rides in Tennessee will be fun since we've been there before and have a good clue where we are going and what to expect.

Hooking up with anyone would be cool....It's always great having locals to show you some of the better trails...

Rich

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Well damn. Heck, I'm in N Ga, about 1:30hr away from the Tenn trails. Can ride Pisgah and such as well. On "vacation"..so any days good for me.

I also whitewater kayak. Reliance is smack dab where I learned, meaning the Hiawassee River. Very nice river(clean).

·
It's not what you think.
477 Posts
rbart4506 said:
We'll be from Monday August 30th to Thursday September 2nd. We're staying at my wife's aunt and uncle's place in Reliance. It's about a 30 minute drive away. We'll be riding on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The last ride will be a morning one for sure before we head back.

We'll be in Pisgah and Tsali the week before so the rides in Tennessee will be fun since we've been there before and have a good clue where we are going and what to expect.

Hooking up with anyone would be cool....It's always great having locals to show you some of the better trails...

Rich
Rich,

I could meet you at Tsali that weekend before, Aug 28th or 29th. I love to ride that place on the singlespeed. Hey, I could eeeeasly be convinced to to take a day off for a trip to Chilhowie, 30th possibly, like Duckman said, it's an all time fave.

Scott

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AlloyNipples said:
Rich,

I could meet you at Tsali that weekend before, Aug 28th or 29th. I love to ride that place on the singlespeed. Hey, I could eeeeasly be convinced to to take a day off for a trip to Chilhowie, 30th possibly, like Duckman said, it's an all time fave.

Scott
Well,

The full itinary is as follows *laugh*...

We'll arrive in Asheville, in the afternoon, on Sunday August 22nd and stay there until Friday, afternoon, August 27th. From there we'll go to Tsali and stay at Lakeview in Fontana, thanks Kevin. We'll be in the Tsali area from Friday aftenoon until the Monday afternoon. From there it's on to Tennessee....

Damn I can't wait for next weekend to get here....

Rich

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duckman said:
Well damn. Heck, I'm in N Ga, about 1:30hr away from the Tenn trails. Can ride Pisgah and such as well. On "vacation"..so any days good for me.

I also whitewater kayak. Reliance is smack dab where I learned, meaning the Hiawassee River. Very nice river(clean).
I took my first ever rafting ride down the Hiwassee on a funyak when we were down a few years ago. My fiance's aunt and uncle were working at the outfitters, at that time, at the bottom of the river, so we got a free ride.

I really enjoyed the trip down the river and thought that one day we might return and try the Ocoee in one of the big rafts. This time probably won't work because we'll only be down for 3 full days and I want to max out the riding, but you never know.

Rich

·
Having a nice day!
1,421 Posts
Tanasi

Myself, Red Rocker and three others did this area Saturday in absolutely perfect conditions. The trails were in great shape with an occaisional wet spot here or there. It has been dry since, so they are probably better now. This is becoming a new favorite for us as it is a little closer than Tsali, not much further than Bull Mountain and some of the other N. GA trails, and most of us like the 'scene' a little better. It is a great way to end the day sitting in the shade next to a rushing river with a cold one, wash the scat off yourself and watch the others enjoying the river. We are definitely going to try the camping this fall and do both trail systems.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I might make it up too, will have to see how it works out. As far as your quick Thursday morning ride, you should ride Brush Creek, the trail head is at the Boyd Gap overlook about 2 miles or so east of the Tanasi Trails, The trail is a 7 mile loop that is all downhill for about the first four miles and then a climb the rest of the way that is so subtle that you won't even know your climbing. You can ride this loop as many times as you want and it can be connected with the Tanasi trails for 29.75 miles of dirt goodness.

Tucker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts