Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
^ I appreciate your generous offer L Ron! Newfoundland has also been on our bucket list. When is the best time of year to visit and ride?
Dirt season runs from May to December (and often January). I would recommend coming in July or August for best riding weather. Sometimes there's snow until mid-May, June is usually foggy, wet and cold and by the end of September it's usually permanently wet. Wet isn't an issue for most of the trails because there's a lot of rock and very little soil but it is an issue for traction. :D

July and August are usually reasonably dry and temps would run from the low-mid 20s with an occasional day near 30. It very very rarely exceeds 30. Cool and refreshing compared to Southern Ontario in the summer. :D

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
When does mosquito season run?

·
Registered
756 Posts
When does mosquito season run?
About the same as yours, maybe starting a few weeks later. If you can handle the mosquitos at SMH you can handle them in Newfoundland. Labrador is a different story but probably no worse than northern Ontario. :D

I'm actually heading to Ottawa for a few days tomorrow (my sister lives there) and hoping to get a ride in at SMH.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Riders in NB really need to make an effort and come visit Hillsborough (15-20 min outside Moncton)

nice 1-4km constant Descents (tech rooty, singletracks)

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
About the same as yours, maybe starting a few weeks later. If you can handle the mosquitos at SMH you can handle them in Newfoundland. Labrador is a different story but probably no worse than northern Ontario. :D

I'm actually heading to Ottawa for a few days tomorrow (my sister lives there) and hoping to get a ride in at SMH.
The City of Ottawa started spraying SMH for bugs last year, so it's actually not bad now.

Weather permitting Saturday morning, I may be doing some trailwork at the intersection of Mario's Line & Dogsled. If you are riding through, stop and say hi.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The City of Ottawa started spraying SMH for bugs last year, so it's actually not bad now.

Weather permitting Saturday morning, I may be doing some trailwork at the intersection of Mario's Line & Dogsled. If you are riding through, stop and say hi.
I'd say that's a relief for you folks. It used to be pretty bad. I guess there's quite a bit of standing water around out there, great breeding zones for mosquitos. Out here it's not too bad as long as you keep moving. This year was great because it was really dry. :D

Sadly, schedule didn't allow for a ride this time. We took the kids out to Saunders' farm saturday morning and spent most of the day there. Sunday was wet. Managed to get over to Gatineau for a short hike and a visit to the place where I broke my humerus in 2003 (i.e. Skyline). :D

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
Discovered this piece of ridable art while riding in an undisclosed location near Ottawa...
bridge.jpg

Reactions: Bikin' Bric

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
A stone bench/feature we installed recently at the entrance to Mario's Line in South March Highlands.

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

·
Registered
567 Posts
^ Looks so clear and open - what's the condition of the trail in general?

·
wheeler
595 Posts
^ Looks so clear and open - what's the condition of the trail in general?
very enduro :lol: The top trail needs a trim....and a bridge, which is under construction.
Arduous yet very rewarding ride, the views are hard to beat:thumbsup:

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Not too soon, I hope. :D We've had a spectacular fall out here. Trails are midsummer dry and the temperatures are nice and cool, so no bugs and no overheating. From Sunday's ride, both pics taken in exactly the same place just facing different directions.
As usual, your photos have me wanting to do a road trip.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Arduous yet very rewarding ride, the views are hard to beat:thumbsup:
Views?!! WTH. It was so overgrown the two times I was there all I saw was thick jungle like forest lol.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Not a great photo or anything but I'm finally getting back on the bike for some serious rides since my injury in April. Its been a long hard road and I still have far to go, but my passion for cycling is returning. Went out with some cycling buddies on a 37km ride today, it was great, but exhausting at the same time. Funny how much fitness you can loose and weight you can gain in 7 months.

141 - 160 of 192 Posts