Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us jokingly refer to our weekend rides out of Fairfax as attending services at the “Church of Tamarancho.” Indeed, a solid loop at Tamarancho has a lot in common with the Catholic Masses I grew up with – a combination of celebration (“WOOOO Endor is fun!”), guilt (“if only I rode more often, I could clear that rock on Serpentine”), and the divine (“wow, the view from Wagon Wheel is just gorgeous”), ideally done with a community of like-minded individuals and ending with booze.

It’s been a while since I regularly attended typical church services – like many of us (I suspect), I feel closest to God/the universe/the Force/whatever when I’m outside enjoying nature. When I’m on my bike, it clears my head, and I become full of reverence and gratitude. Nonetheless, the human desire for both ritual and fellowship persists, which is why I’m thrilled to invite all of you on an Easter Sunday ride at Tamarancho with a real priest – Father Chris Rankin-Williams, aka Velopriest, rector of St. John’s Episcopal church in Ross (if you’ve ever ridden through downtown Ross, you’ve passed his church). Chris is a really cool guy who loves bikes and beer (his Twitter bio: “I’m an Episcopal priest and avid cyclist. I’m pretty good at one of them.”), and luckily for us, he’s on sabbatical so he doesn’t have to attend to his typical Sunday duties!

We’ll meet at 10 AM at Java Hut and ride a typical Tamarancho loop (start with Iron Springs Rd/Alchemist), punctuated by a brief sermon/time for reflection near the top of Wagon Wheel/Serpentine. We’ll also do a Eucharist for people who are into that. I just found out that Iron Springs is closed, so we can’t do a post-ride brunch there, but we’ll figure something out (maybe Barefoot Café? Gestalt House? My front deck? Suggestions welcome.) We want this to be an ecumenical, welcoming event; not too churchy or weird. The themes of renewal and rebirth that are inherent in Easter and spring provide a great opportunity for us to clear some of the cobwebs out of our heads and enjoy the fellowship of others, and that’s what we’re hoping to do with this ride.

Please let me know if you’re interested by PMing me or e-mailing [email protected]. Thanks and I look forward to seeing folks on Sunday! :aureola:

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
We alway's have a Priest @ The church of Sierra Azul

The trails are as steep as hell! The sisters are ugly ... the brothers are bastids ... but the Priest rocks ! Dogmeat and brews are usually served at church! :lol:

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump bump bump!! This is a great event for people who want to do something special on Easter but aren't comfortable with a typical church service. Folks of all faiths/creeds (and a complete lack thereof!) are all welcome!

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride report: A group of six fine souls gathered on a gorgeous Easter morning for riding, reflection, and rippin' it on the downhill! Everyone had a great time and requested that we do this on a more regular basis, so keep an eye out for future dates. Thanks to everyone who made this the coolest Easter ever!

Our crew post-ride:
10290662_10154001011755456_8667000813068184815_n.jpg

Yes, our liturgy of the eucharist featured rosemary ciabatta and Two Buck Chuck:
10255616_10154001013545456_7679950450026137214_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Dang man ... good turnout. Only way to get a turnout that good @ Kennedy is to get LP to call one up!

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love it!! My husband (then-boyfriend) and I did a WNC trip a few years ago and I couldn't believe how incredible the riding was. We did one day in Pisgah (ending up riding a bunch of trails the wrong way, oh well) and another in DuPont State Forest. I didn't want to leave, the trails were so much fun. I grew up on the East Coast so seeing mountain bike films that feature mountain laurel growing alongside the trails makes me awfully wistful. :)

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
There is no such thing as "the wrong way" to ride a trail. ;)

Although I think they only give credit to Pisgah in that video, several of the shots are in DuPont. I am very fortunate to live 15-30 minutes from all those trails. :D

·
J-Flo
1,742 Posts
Video of NC looks unfairly fun. Great way to spend Easter if you were stuck in California like me (I was in Tamarancho on Saturday and had to settle for a road ride on Easter).

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was this one trail in DuPont that I remember so well - somehow, during the climb, you ended up being able to hit a series of small jumps, and then it ended on some gnarly rocky, rooty, and totally fun downhill section... can't wait to go back, for sure. You guys have it really good back there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts