Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Millertr here. I'm new to the mountain bike scene. I was wondering if there are any mountain bike clubs here in the Knoxville area? I know there are road bike clubs (Wheelmen), but are there any for mountain bikers? I have a couple of buddies that I ride with (they totally kick my a$$ at riding) and we go to the local areas (Haw Ridge, Norris, IC King, etc..)

Also, are there any places that offer classes for beginners? I'll admit that I totally suck! And, if need be, I'll happily join a class that has kids who still use their training wheels... I guess I need to learn the basics... Especially, gearing. What gear for what situation. Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

· Registered
245 Posts
millertr said:
Hello, Millertr here. I'm new to the mountain bike scene. I was wondering if there are any mountain bike clubs here in the Knoxville area? I know there are road bike clubs (Wheelmen), but are there any for mountain bikers? I have a couple of buddies that I ride with (they totally kick my a$$ at riding) and we go to the local areas (Haw Ridge, Norris, IC King, etc..)

Also, are there any places that offer classes for beginners? I'll admit that I totally suck! And, if need be, I'll happily join a class that has kids who still use their training wheels... I guess I need to learn the basics... Especially, gearing. What gear for what situation. Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
In the greater Tri-Cities area, we have the Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Associate. We have skills clinics at some of the trails in our area from time to time. You will find one in April on our events calendar. There will be more scheduled at some point I'm sure. If you don't mind the 1.5-2 hour drive up, you should come visit. If you want to come up one day, just post a note in our club forum in the group rides or general section and you will probably find no shortage of people willing to ride with you. You especially need to come up and check out Warrior's Path State Park. Our trails there are top notch.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've come across your organization while doing my searches for a local bike club around here. You all seem to be the closest club for the Knoxville area.

Thanks for your reply.

· white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Just curious

What are some of the better rides in the Tri-Cities area. I've always thought there had to be tons of great riding in that area. Is there much riding in Cherokee NF? I always drive through there and my wife is sick of hearing "there's got to be some sweet singletrack out here". Never fails, I say it every time.

I've ridden pather creek SP or sumpin' like that. that was ok, a little on the cramped side, i liked the rocks though.

Thanks,

CMW

· Registered
245 Posts
cmweldon said:
What are some of the better rides in the Tri-Cities area. I've always thought there had to be tons of great riding in that area. Is there much riding in Cherokee NF? I always drive through there and my wife is sick of hearing "there's got to be some sweet singletrack out here". Never fails, I say it every time.

I've ridden pather creek SP or sumpin' like that. that was ok, a little on the cramped side, i liked the rocks though.

Thanks,

CMW
Buffalo Mountain is part of the Cherokee NF. There are some sick single track trails from the top down if you don't mind the 6 mile climb up the mountain. They are currently un-mapped and un-official but have existed for years. As long as you have someone who knows the trails to take you, it's a blast.

Warrior's Path State Park is regarded by most of us in the area as the best single track in the area. Visitors tell us that Warrior's has some of the best trails the've seen. It's pretty technical but rideable by most. Even the most difficult loops at Warrior's are rideable by most....if you aren't comfortable with a particular technical trail feature, just walk it. If you are looking for Tsali, we don't have it in the Tri-Cities. If you are looking for good technical single track, Buffalo and Warrior's are where you should be.

· Jabberwocky Jockey
811 Posts
cmweldon said:

Thanks,

CMW
If you liked the rocks at Panther Creek, you will love Warriors Path. Warriors is a little secret that has been quietly being developed over the past 6 years and is emerging as a premier location for East TN riding. One lap is just over 8 miles and has over 1300' of climbing per lap. Here's the kicker, not a single climb is over 100yds long, and rocks-o-plenty. Several area racers have used Warriors exclusively to train for 24 hour races. Yeah, it's that good.
Warriors isn't the only game in town though. As BrandonJ mentioned, there is good riding in the Cherokee at Buffalo and also in the Laurel Fork area in Carter Co. The Elizabethton watershed is another good area for some sweet singletrack. Most of the rides in the Cherokee are typical climb forest roads and descend singletrack type. It's all good here though and we are on the verge of becoming the riding spot in the State.
The Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association is working with the city of Johnson City and the USFS to develop new trails in the Cherokee and within Buffalo Mountain Park in JC. It may be a long road to see all the potential we have realized, but with 12,000 acres of forest within 10 minutes of downtown, it will be worth the effort.

The next time you are coming through, stop by www.ntmba.org and post in the forum for a ride partner and somebody would happy to show you around the Cherokee (as the other poster noted, the trails there aren't well mapped - yet) or check out Warriors. I think you'll like what you find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.