Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Am looking for some tire suggestions.
I'm riding a SC Superlight. Trails in Québec are mainly rocky and rooty singletrack and/or fireroad, with some sandy sections and mud from time to time.

Actually on a Nobby Nic (2..25) front and Conti Explorer Protection (2.1, but seem smaller) rear.

I quite like the Conti in the rear, but find the NN somewhat 'sketchy' up front.
Looking for about the same sizes, not too heavy rolling and light tires, that track well.

After some research, have these listed these but looking for more suggestions and feedback:

FRONT
Maxxis High Roller or Ardent
WTB Weirwolf
Hutchinson Python
Kenda Nevegal/Excavator

REAR
Maxxis Ignitor or High Roller
Conti TK
Kenda Excavator

Thx !

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Only the Nevegal and Excavator would more grip than No Ni. I have no experience with the the weirwolf.

Are you running the No Ni as low a pressure as you can.They like to be run in the low 20's.

You will need a big tire in the front if you are going to match a TK in the rear. They are a big tire.
TK would be a choice for the front in my books.Then maybe switch the No Ni to the rear if you still don't like it in the front

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been using Kenda Nevegal 2.1s front and rear in Quebec. They are great on the super technical trails, good grip on rocks and roots (wet or dry). Rolling resistance is quite high though, so not the best for faster trails, fireroads, etc.

I've been looking at other options too. I tried WTB Wolverines and they were a disaster, absolutely no grip on wet roots...

I've seen a lot of people using Maxxis Ardent here, might be a good option.

Cheers

"The Dutchman in Quebec" ;-)

·
no, I'm not riding SS
184 Posts
Here in the rocks/roots of SW Virginia, I run the Ardents on the front and rear--great tire, and good rolling resistance. Very grippy on the technical climbs and absolutely rails in the corners, even for my 225lb arse.....

·
Registered
578 Posts
shorner said:
Here in the rocks/roots of SW Virginia, I run the Ardents on the front and rear--great tire, and good rolling resistance. Very grippy on the technical climbs and absolutely rails in the corners, even for my 225lb arse.....
Also loving Ardents in PA rocks and roots, 2.25 rear - 2.4 front. Sidewalls wear a little on the 2.25 but still worth it. Good grip and rolling resistance as mentioned.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Riding mostly in the North East my favorite tires are Kenda Nevegal 2.35's DTC. Sometimes I'll run a sticky up front.

I've found nothing better in the rocks and roots especially when wet.

As mentioned above rolling resistance stinks but I'm on tight twisty tech singletrack 90% of the time.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I ride the following trails you might also ride :
- Coaticook
- East Hereford
- Bromont
- Mt-Bellevue
- Mont Trinité
- Ste-Adèle
- Prévost
- Tremblant

This season I'm running a Geax Barro Mountain on the rear of my XC bike. In TNT version, 2.1 size, ran at 28 PSI, it is the best all-around tire I've ever had for our local trails. I also tried a FireXCPro (doesn't grip well on wet roots & rocks) and Swampthing (too much RR) FWIW.
Up front I also tried the FireXCPro, Weirwolf and I'm now trying out an Ignitor. Its too early to talk about the Ignitor (1 ride only) but the FireXCPro was pretty good although a bit slow.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
pirati said:
Hi,
Am looking for some tire suggestions.
I'm riding a SC Superlight. Trails in Québec are mainly rocky and rooty singletrack and/or fireroad, with some sandy sections and mud from time to time.

Actually on a Nobby Nic (2..25) front and Conti Explorer Protection (2.1, but seem smaller) rear.

I quite like the Conti in the rear, but find the NN somewhat 'sketchy' up front.
Looking for about the same sizes, not too heavy rolling and light tires, that track well.

After some research, have these listed these but looking for more suggestions and feedback:

FRONT
Maxxis High Roller or Ardent
WTB Weirwolf
Hutchinson Python
Kenda Nevegal/Excavator

REAR
Maxxis Ignitor or High Roller
Conti TK
Kenda Excavator

Thx !
Did you find the NN sketchy all the time, or only in certain conditions?
If it's on wet rocks/roots, you need soft compound tires, on the front especially.
The Kenda Nevegal and Blue Groove Stickee tires do pretty well in the wet.

·
Unfit Norwegian
1,260 Posts
On wet rocks and roots, my referance here in the south east of Norway, is Schwalbe Big Betty Gooey Gluey. Alternatives are Kenda's Stick-E compound or Maxxis Minion DHF super tacky (42A Shore durometer) (DHF on both wheels).

If you're on dry trails, you could look at Schwalbe Fast Fred, Maxxis Ardent or Advantage, or ofcourse, Nobby Nic in Triple Nano Compound.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just saw I never gave a follow-up on this 2010 thread.

Finally bought Maxxis ADvantage 26x2.1 eXceptions.
As a front tire I really like it a lot, very confidence inspiring in rocky/rooty technical singletracks here in Québec (my main playground is Vallée de la Bras du Nord, also go to Burke, MSA' Coaticook, East-Hereford,...).

Didn't like it as much as a rear tire because of the sort of "gap" between center and side knobs that make you feel like you are falling over. Kept the "old" Continental Explorer in the rear and have been happy with this combination.

Am currently considering going bigger volume, maybe 2.25 ADvantage in front and 2.1 Crossmark in the rear.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Just saw I never gave a follow-up on this 2010 thread.

Finally bought Maxxis ADvantage 26x2.1 eXceptions.
As a front tire I really like it a lot, very confidence inspiring in rocky/rooty technical singletracks here in Québec (my main playground is Vallée de la Bras du Nord, also go to Burke, MSA' Coaticook, East-Hereford,...).

Didn't like it as much as a rear tire because of the sort of "gap" between center and side knobs that make you feel like you are falling over. Kept the "old" Continental Explorer in the rear and have been happy with this combination.

Am currently considering going bigger volume, maybe 2.25 ADvantage in front and 2.1 Crossmark in the rear.
Wierd, the tread gap bothers me more on the front than rear, and 2.1 seems pretty skinny for a front tire.
On my old 26er I was running Advantage 2.25 on the rear and it worked pretty well, big volume and rolls ok for its size and grip. If you front Advantage still has some tread try moving it to the rear and put a new 2.25 up front, see how you like em.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wierd, the tread gap bothers me more on the front than rear, and 2.1 seems pretty skinny for a front tire.
On my old 26er I was running Advantage 2.25 on the rear and it worked pretty well, big volume and rolls ok for its size and grip. If you front Advantage still has some tread try moving it to the rear and put a new 2.25 up front, see how you like em.
I was also surprised that the gap bothered me more in the rear than in the front, but there you are....
The idea of moving it to the rear and put a 2.25 up front is certainly interesting.
Also have a new 2.1 Crossmark lying around that I might put in the rear, combined with 2.25 front (Ardent or Advantage).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I didn't reply to this earlier because it was so old. I'm running a (650x2.35) Geax Goma up front in southeast Pennsylvania over this type of terrain. Been riding it for the past 3-4 months and I love it. Was running Trailkings front and rear, swapped to a Goma/ Ikon for a specific trip, and I've just taken the Ikon off, but the Goma will stay. Actually I just mounted one for a rear too, with winter well on its way we"ll see what happens. Not sure how bad it will drag on the rear with a sticky, but it can't get much worse than the TK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts