Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a way of beating a dead horse, I felt the need to bring up the need for more Super D races here on the east coast.. With some of the most technical (straight up rocks) riding and countless venues to have them AND not to mention the Super D "type" of bikes (dear lord please don't start another argument thread about "what classifies _____ to be ____") are seemingly the most popular with the mountainbiking community due to the "bang for your buck notion" (or versatility, one bike ) so the population is there..

Blue mountain had a FANTASTIC first race last season which was Super D, with a lemans (spelling) start which was Very well balanced (in other words the bikes that DID do best were the 5-6in range) a few small climbs and a few areas that rewarded you for taking the more extreme route (jumps, steep tight sections). This was the best race I've done period (Did downhill, dual slalom, giant slalom).. It did help that I won :D but I rode the race course about 14 more times after that due to the fun of it.

So with such a broad scope of riders and a format that is easy to set up, along with the availibility of terrain we have here on the east coast, Why dont we have more of these races?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I agree! I WISH there was more in the area. I really think there is demand for it. Its a much bigger potential audience than DH races.

The biggest in the mid atlantic area (that I know of) is the massanutten hoo ha. Beginning of June.

Timberline has one in the fall too. Im hoping they do a few more this year!

Lemans style starts REALLY suck though. really really really suck. As much as I love superD courses, I would sit out a lemans start superD. Time trial start is the only way to do it.

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.. Yeah I can see why, I followed a guy for about half the course cause he wouldn't move over despite me asking politely if I could pass.. ended up passing him on one of the table tops cause he couldn't clear all of them he was all like :eek: and I was all like :nono: :thumbsup: :D :ciappa:

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean christ, if it wasn't for the fact that I wouldn't have enought publicity/people and incentives (prizes) I'd set small ones up at local hills just for fun.. Hillsboro NJ actually has a few trails this can be accomplished on as well as chimney rock NJ. the only thing that would draw away from it would be the overall length.. something lift access mountains WOULD have.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I raced the highbridge hustle and flow race in 09 and i had too much fun. The guy who ran it moved so they don't hold it anymore.

I'm looking into the blue mountain races, however i don't see any info on it yet. They'll probably post a schedule soon.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you set something up low key, put it on the boards and on facebook, and tell the local shops, people would come. Maybe just a few at first, but if its fun word gets out...

Incentives? How about beer and pasta post race. $5-10 a racer, 10 -15 racers, and you might just break even the first time.

Edit: I am not saying this is you, I am just saying, that giving back to the trails is always good. If you do decide to hold an event, coming out and doing some work/maintenance on the trials is good karma, and could get more momentum going.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the reason we don't see AM events on the East Coast is because unfortunately all cool things or trends in general begin on the west coast and then 2 yrs later show up on the East. Its a fact: surfing (to this day, surfboard models show up on the east coast later i.e mini simmons, retro boards, etc) music (90's punk with green day first on the west and then on the east) skateboarding, snowboarding, clothes, the fixie craze, hipster people, I could go on and on..
Super D will be on the east coast, as XC begins to fade away and begins to be replaced by 6in travel bikes(just like is has been on the west coast)

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fotu said:
If you set something up low key, put it on the boards and on facebook, and tell the local shops, people would come. Maybe just a few at first, but if its fun word gets out...

Incentives? How about beer and pasta post race. $5-10 a racer, 10 -15 racers, and you might just break even the first time.

Edit: I am not saying this is you, I am just saying, that giving back to the trails is always good. If you do decide to hold an event, coming out and doing some work/maintenance on the trials is good karma, and could get more momentum going.
Well I do get out and help (not as often as I'd like due to work) but that would be a great way to have alot of input for the course from the other riders/racers and a great way to spread the word. I do plan on doing alot of trailwork this year and hopefully starting new trails ect.

On a side note, I don't think most realize that stuff can be added (wood ramps, jumps different route for less skilled/ballsy riders ect.) in order to even the playing field to "cater" to the 5-6in travel bikes. all that would be needed would be volunteers to stand by those obstacles to make sure no one is manipulating thier way through the course.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,225 Posts
fotu said:
you're wrong about punk. and rap too. and bikes. and snowboards. Surfing and such, though. I agree with that.
Thank you:thumbsup:

He is also wrong about clothes, and hipsters. Maybe he thought NYC was in Oregon.

·
Registered
829 Posts
kapusta said:
Thank you:thumbsup:

He is also wrong about clothes, and hipsters. Maybe he thought NYC was in Oregon.
True! Well, Ocean Pacific and Hypercolors t-shirts were "trends in general" but I wouldn't be bragging about importing that style...

And lets not forget skiddz...

Edit: its kinda of sentimental, looking at this weird ad and thinking these people are probably about 50 years old about now.

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I've been giving it some thought, and due to central/ north central NJ not having very large "mountains" I think our best bet would be to have it be a cumulative time through multiple different smaller stages.

Of course we would need to make sure the riders weren't switching their bikes up for the different stages, but I think this style of racing would work and would be alot of fun. Also it would give the racers time in between each race to rest, so they could more or less do an all out sprint for the next stage, whether it be downhill, flat twisty stuff, or a short uphill, it wouldn't be so much as endurance as flat out speed which I think would help out alot of riders who might think they'll get spanked by the lycra wearing xc'ers

·
Registered
563 Posts
Massanutten has their superD in the beginning of June.
Timberline has one in the fall. (im hoping they will do more this year though)

Thats all I know of unfortunately.
It would be nice if all the resorts did superD races alongside their DH race weekends.

·
think
853 Posts
sickspeed16 said:
Well I've been giving it some thought, and due to central/ north central NJ not having very large "mountains" I think our best bet would be to have it be a cumulative time through multiple different smaller stages.

Of course we would need to make sure the riders weren't switching their bikes up for the different stages, but I think this style of racing would work and would be alot of fun. Also it would give the racers time in between each race to rest, so they could more or less do an all out sprint for the next stage, whether it be downhill, flat twisty stuff, or a short uphill, it wouldn't be so much as endurance as flat out speed which I think would help out alot of riders who might think they'll get spanked by the lycra wearing xc'ers
AKA enduro racing. I have been thinking about this for a little while too.

Just make it clear up front, one bike per rider...and then make it gnarly enough that if you win it on a pure XC bike, you probably had the biggest balls there that day and deserve it.

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, yeah I know, in one of my earlier posts, I mentioned adding jumps drops ect. that would (if "jumped" or "dropped") would lead you through a faster course line, so the end result being, those who had bigger balls would be able to take shorter/faster lines.

·
think
853 Posts
I think the hardest part of putting on an enduro event would be familiarizing people with the timing system, if you ran people on their minute like a motorcycle event, or getting timing setups that would work over that distance in place if you were just going that route. Other than that, it's fairly straight forward.

I should look into the timing stuff more, actually.

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually what I'm now looking into is how to lobby the parks into agreeing with this (and I'm sure the reasoning behind their "agreeing" is this next point) and the whole insurance/waiver/legal garbage.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THE PROCEDURES, GUIDELINES, KNOWHOW, TIPS, HINTS, PASSWORDS (UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B) , ECT. ON HOW TO GO ABOUT STARTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN A PUBLIC PARK PLEASE! LET ME KNOW..

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
sickspeed16 said:
Actually what I'm now looking into is how to lobby the parks into agreeing with this (and I'm sure the reasoning behind their "agreeing" is this next point) and the whole insurance/waiver/legal garbage.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THE PROCEDURES, GUIDELINES, KNOWHOW, TIPS, HINTS, PASSWORDS (UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B) , ECT. ON HOW TO GO ABOUT STARTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN A PUBLIC PARK PLEASE! LET ME KNOW..
Work the PR.... set up a plan where as the event grows, a certain % will go back to either the park itself or some fund for a local school or other children's organization (or seniors or whatever works for you).

Then as the event grows (and becomes a bit of a nuisance... maybe?) you have good PR behind you and can say things like "Last year we gave more money than ever before back to the park and this year we will be able to give even more." You also need a core group who will set up/clean up the ENTIRE event, along with fixing erosion issues to deal with increased traffic. Unfortunately, running the event (as rewarding as it may be) probably means you won't be able to ride the event.

It is all about money and PR and making yourself the least possible nuisance. As for insurance/liability, I have no idea....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.