Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new SS frame, the other went caput. Vicious is currently at the top of my list. Who else should I be considering for a nice (semi-custom?) steel frame? Thanks.

·
pepito
640 Posts
The Weasel said:
I need a new SS frame, the other went caput. Vicious is currently at the top of my list. Who else should I be considering for a nice (semi-custom?) steel frame? Thanks.

vicious is awesome. they'd be near the top of my list if i ever had the funds. the very top spot would be reserved for a custom, possibly lugged, zanconato . i've seen several of his frames in person, and his work is incredible.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If?

Independant Fabrications maybe? I'm not endorsing, or endorsing. Just throwing the name out as an east coast builder.

·
arbiter
138 Posts
Steve Stickel man, Steve Stickel.

His clever ideas and inventive take on things impress the hell out of me. His new 29er comes to mind. He resides in Brevard, NC and is capable of making anything you want.

He can throw together a clean and simple SS too.

[email protected]

Bang for buck, he will out-brain and out-build most I have seen. He is worth talking to.

·
velocipede technician
8,876 Posts
wiping a tear away

how about a moment of silence for spooky......some of my favrote rides were done on my darkside.
how about ted wojkic,brooklyn machine works.

·
DiscoCowboy
342 Posts
mmm Spooky

many years I lusted over a Pitboss. The stuff FTW is doing with Sinister is pretty sick.

Steve Stickle - #1, Great guy that does great custom work

Bilenky - #2, I would look to him for more of a beautiful classic lugged track, touring, road frame. Absolutely gorgeous to just stare at.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Ah, my favorite subject...

The Weasel said:
You have me intrigued. Tell me more.
Funny thing about Steve is that he's so handsome, he could be making bank in NYC modelling. Brilliant too, and Latin-lover suave. He could be livin' fat, soakin' it up like we all dream about. Instead, he's taken a vow of poverty and has rightly chosen framebuilding to help keep himself humble. He gave it all up for you.

I'll tell you this: He has big plans and is working on some cool ideas. The re-tooling of his shop is taking a lot longer than he'd hoped (not at all aided by his vow of poverty) but is still planning to relaunch things sometime this winter or spring. And when he does -and take it from me- the world will be a very slightly better place.

·
pepito
640 Posts
D.F.L. said:
And when he does -and take it from me- the world will be a very slightly better place.

haha. i was wondering if you'd drop in.
:)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You probably won't go far wrong with any of the frame makers mentioned here, but I'd recomend you communicate with them to see who will do what you want. Steve Stickel does some nice custom detail. But then I'm a bit biased, we have 3 byStickels....

D.F.L. said:
Funny thing about Steve is that he's so handsome....
Not sure I'd completely agree with Steve... um, I mean D.F.L.... but he does make handsome bikes that ride great.

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
no $h!t

D.F.L. said:
I'll tell you this: He has big plans and is working on some cool ideas. The re-tooling of his shop is taking a lot longer than he'd hoped
This is very unfortunate. My wife really wanted one of your bikes.

Oh well she ended up with an IF.

BTW, did she ever send you your paint samples back?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
She's YOUR wife?

BikeMojo said:
This is very unfortunate. My wife really wanted one of your bikes.

Oh well she ended up with an IF.

BTW, did she ever send you your paint samples back?

I don't think it came across, but when I wasn't able to get her the bike she wanted, it was a hard thing for me. I was very disappointed that she lost time because of me. I am glad that you found her such a killer frame and I hope that she's loving it.

I haven't seen the charts yet, but, like I said, I'm not in a big rush for them. They've been shipped out and returned many times.

I hope to get back to TX sometime soon. I miss the Hillcountry trails and hear that there's lots of sweet new technical stuff to sample.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I don't own a bystickel but I'll throw in another vote to see if you can work with Steve!

If I ever climb out of this hole of debt I'm in, I hope to work with him someday.

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Adding to an already great list

Vicious, IF, Seven, Bilenky, and Stickel are all great builders. You would be very happy with any of their offerings.

Another east cost builder is Tom Oswald:

Oswald Cycle Works

You could also look at the frame builder questionnaire for some other greats:

Frame Builder Questionnaire

·
Lazy People Suck
767 Posts
I have 2 ByStickels

Steve would get my vote. I went with him because of his looks, but he can build a bike as well.

BTW, Steve, I am just curious if Trace's bike is serial #1 for you as an official ByStickel commercial venture. He is about a foot taller than when you built it, but I might save it to make a fortune on Ebay when you sell your name to Trek and it becomes one of their lines of business as one of the originals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts