Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not looking forward to the drive, but I am looking forward to my first trip to Downiville. We are leaving tonite around 7pm to hopefully let traffic dye down a bit. Yipee here we come.:D See ya all there.

Sean

·
emteebee
413 Posts
are you camping there or staying in a hotel, I am thinking of camping in downiville and riding it but i hear it's not to beginner/hardtail friendly.

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cmktech said:
are you camping there or staying in a hotel, I am thinking of camping in downiville and riding it but i hear it's not to beginner/hardtail friendly.

There is the MTBR gathering and we are camping at Indian Valley and Fiddle Creek campgrounds. I believe it can be ridden by differant level of riders, just at different speeds. If ya get to a section you are uncomfortable with, then walk it. I have a frind that always rides a hard tail and he loves it, says there are a couple of rough sections but its not all that bad. There will be riders of all levels at this ride.

Yeah I will be camping.

Sean

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Eh...

cmktech said:
You can do it. The first year I did it, I was only (back into) riding for about a year, and I did it on my Giant Yukon hardtail wtih a Rock Shox Jett 63mm travel fork and V-brakes. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but I managed. I had tons of arm pump when I got to the bottom.

Suspension and disc brakes are surely better, but not totally required. Bring lots of spare innertubes. I tend to get lots of pinch flats up there, myself. Last year, I went through 3... prolly because I was having trouble judging my tire pressure after I fixed the first flat.

BTW, just because it is a net 3000 foot decent, don't think it is a coast all the way down to the bottom. There is a lot of climbing, and you'll be surprised how much muscle power it takes to get over all those rocks and such.

And... it's a complete blast!

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
pimpbot said:
You can do it. The first year I did it, I was only (back into) riding for about a year, and I did it on my Giant Yukon hardtail wtih a Rock Shox Jett 63mm travel fork and V-brakes. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but I managed. I had tons of arm pump when I got to the bottom.

Suspension and disc brakes are surely better, but not totally required. Bring lots of spare innertubes. I tend to get lots of pinch flats up there, myself. Last year, I went through 3... prolly because I was having trouble judging my tire pressure after I fixed the first flat.

BTW, just because it is a net 3000 foot decent, don't think it is a coast all the way down to the bottom. There is a lot of climbing, and you'll be surprised how much muscle power it takes to get over all those rocks and such.

And... it's a complete blast!
Yup, I have yet to run it with my FS bike. I have only rode Downieville with my old Fisher Paragon HT with Rock Shox Judy XC fork and V-brakes - not much different than your Giant. Still mighty fun. Can't wait until I head up there this year and run it with my Kona Dawg Dee-Lux. I am sure folks run it with fully rigid bikes too (now that doesn't sound like fun....) Have a great trip. Wish I was up there riding this weekend. WIll just have to wait until our yearly fall trip up to Downieville to get my fix.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
Have fun everyone, wish we could join you all!!

FYI: Sean, the caption would've been better with a Jerry Reed Soundtrack reference added!!

SMW said:
East Bound and Downiville here we come....
Smokey and the Bandit, right?? Kinda forboding, drive safe!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts