Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's a love/ hate thing
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day yesterday taking my girl on the logging road tour of the east bay, (West Ridge to East Ridge "Trail" while eying all the off limits single track with no bike signs.

Of course there are hikers all over on the dirt roads, but I didn't see anyone heading down these trails. From what I remember, IMBA was formed to get access to these trails almost two decades ago, and yet, the only legal single track is in JMP, a city park.

Anyone here up to date on the advocacy efforts here? Do people even care anymore, have mountain bikers given up, or is riding the bootleg stuff at night the status quo? Having trouble finding current information on the situation.

·
It's a love/ hate thing
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear there is more stuff in the works than we initially perceived. This information is a bit buried. Is this intentional? If it is, I'm assuming it is because of anti-bike lobbyists?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
It's no secret

pbr said:
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear there is more stuff in the works than we initially perceived. This information is a bit buried. Is this intentional? If it is, I'm assuming it is because of anti-bike lobbyists?
The information is out there for anybody who is interested. It is broadcast as far as the volunteers who do this can make possible. Unfortunately this work falls into a very few hands which is a curiosity considering the enormous size of the mountain biking community. Life's priorities confound us all and everybody does what they can. We look forward to enriched support.

·
Registered
45 Posts
buried??

I googled 'mountain bike advocacy east bay' . First hit is MTBR, with this thread ;) and the call to fill out the EBPRD survey. Second is the BTCEB page. So what's buried? The EBPRD doesn't put signs up on the trails saying: "These trails are off-limits to bikes and we want to keep it this way, but if you feel differently join BTCEB/IMBA/EBBC etc"

·
Monkey Junkie
593 Posts
BTCEB puts out a huge amount of effort in favor of the large MTB community in the East Bay. They have had to work hard just to keep JMP opened to us, and I see them making consistant efforts to gain more access. The problem truly seems to be the EBRPD, which you will hear about over and over again if you read other threads on the topic. Just join BTCEB and do what you can. I haven't done as much as I should, so threads like this are a healthy reminder to show support.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
pbr said:
Spent the day yesterday taking my girl on the logging road tour of the east bay, (West Ridge to East Ridge "Trail" while eying all the off limits single track with no bike signs.

Of course there are hikers all over on the dirt roads, but I didn't see anyone heading down these trails. From what I remember, IMBA was formed to get access to these trails almost two decades ago, and yet, the only legal single track is in JMP, a city park.

Anyone here up to date on the advocacy efforts here? Do people even care anymore, have mountain bikers given up, or is riding the bootleg stuff at night the status quo? Having trouble finding current information on the situation.
J,

When you mentioned that you were moving back, I invited you to come to one of our meetings. We'll be at the Round Table Pizza down the hill from JMP on Tuesday, March 1 from 7-9pm.

It would be good to see you! It's been what? About 2 years since we rode Pacifica?

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts