Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you been wondering "Why should I vote to give $500 million to an agency that bans us from our own public lands?" Did you notice that earlier this year, after mountain bikers threatened to vote against Measure WW, suddenly the EBRPD came to *us* for the first time since forever?

Tired of having less rights than the herds of cattle that roam everywhere in our "parks"? Then stand up and pitch in, because it's GO TIME.

The No On Measure WW website is live, and we need your help to spread the word to everyone.

Please check out the website...there's a whole lot of information there, including many, many incriminating pictures. If you don't spend much time in EBRPD parks because they suck to ride in, you'll be shocked. This isn't just about bicycles: it's about the EBRPD's wholesale environmental destruction of the public land they are supposed to be preserving. Why should we be giving the EBRPD $500 million when California State Parks (like Annadel and Henry Coe) barely have enough money to stay open?

The Bay Area is full of people who think environmental preservation is a great idea, and that a vote for Measure WW is a pro-environmental vote. Show them the website. When I do this, people are stunned. They have no idea what the EBRPD is doing to our public lands.

The election is in just over a month, and the most important thing you can do for the cause, right now, is to spread the word to everyone you can. Tell your friends, family, and co-workers about www.NoOnMeasureWW.org . Mention it on other forums. Copy my signature below and put it on your email and forum signature. Send letters to the editor of your local newspaper.

We can do this. We've gathered the information and built the site. We got ourselves into the ballot argument (!!!) and onto smartvoter.org. Now we need your help to get www.NoOnMeasureWW.org out to everyone. Let's do this.

(Do you want to do more? Check out the "You Can Help" page.)

(Are you willing to deliver flyers to your local bike shops? The East Bay is big and we need major assistance here. Send me a PM.)

(Got suggestions for the website? Send me a PM.)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's amazing the denial that people live in. The http://www.NoOnMeasureWW.org link went to members of the East Bay Area Trails Council (http://www.ebtrails.org) about a week ago. One EBATC member e-mailed back that the website's pictures present a distorted and essentially dishonest portrayal of park conditions and were not representative of EBRPD's land. Another chimed in to denounce the website and said his hiking club had sent $50 to the yes on WW campaign. To their credit, a couple other EBATC members called the first naysayer on his obliviousness to the obvious.

In the last 15 years I've mountain biked (and hiked too) literally thousands of miles in EBRPD parks, day and night, in winter and summer, in rain and sun, and in temperatures from below freezing to 100 degrees. I've covered all of the interior parks, most of them extensively. I know parks like Morgan Territory, Briones, Las Trampas, Mission Peak, Pleasanton Ridge, Garin, Dry Creek, Redwood, Tilden, Wildcat Canyon, Huckleberry, and Sibley very well. I doubt there are many people around who've covered more EBRPD trail (I mean fire road, of course) miles than me, including on the EBRPD board or staff. From that experience, I can vouch for the fact that the No on WW website's pictures not only are illustrative, but are also representative. Most of the parks are overgrazed cattle ranches once you get beyond Redwood and the nicer coastal parks. It's really horrific.

·
heaven help me
2,889 Posts
great web site. i am appalled at the destruction of the park land. i've seen better logging sites with far better erosion controls. but there is nothing worse than over paid incompetent staff who hide behind their degrees. and they call themselves enviromentalist! :nono:

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
a step further with the degree thing, i applied for summer jobswith EBRPD in 07 and 08 and didnt get the job, most likely because i dont attend a bay area school ..... either that or they googled me and ebrpd threads came up and they made the connection between my middle name and screen name here

would never apply there once i have my degree in parks and natural resource management, would much rather work somewhere that understands the definition of parks and natural resource management haha.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,297 Posts
norton55 said:
great web site. i am appalled at the destruction of the park land. i've seen better logging sites with far better erosion controls. but there is nothing worse than over paid incompetent staff who hide behind their degrees. and they call themselves enviromentalist! :nono:
That agency is so insular that it's pathetic. One example: trail maintenance is in the union contract, so the district politely refuses offers from volunteers to go out there and help restore a trail, and instead they go out and Sweco the trail to bits (Panorama trail in Mission Peak). Bottom line, the agency seems to be mostly interested in keeping its pension plan.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
El Caballo has shown amazing advocacy skills in putting together the http://www.NoOnMeasureWW.org website. I should think that even many people who support Measure WW but have an objective cast of mind will recognize it as a superb assemblage of vivid images and first-rate rhetoric. I bet there are $10 million campaigns on statewide ballot measures that have less polished websites than El Caballo's.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
East bay parks are legendarily bad.
a few months back I was mountian biking in a certain north bay park that happens to be popular with mountain bikers. While on a leg singletrack trails, very similar to what we are banned from riding on here in the east bay, when our group of about 13 riders came up on a few equestrians.
What did we do? Being east bay residents we killed them with kindness. The rider in front asked the horsemen if it was okay for us to pass, they said sure and the 13 of us went right on by with each member of our group thanking them profusely as we passed. Being a slow-poke, i was last and also thanked them profusely. What do you think they said to me as i rode by?
(and i quote) "no problem, we are not from the east bay!"

Now this apparent utopia where hikers, bikers and equestrians seem to get along blissfully is in an area that has a smaller budget for park management, is frequented by livestock occasionally as well and, amazingly, the trails ( both singletrack and fireroad, all legal for us to ride on) are in pristine condition.
Why is it that some podunk park in a poorer region that gets loads of traffic from a range of user groups (and all those user groups seem to get along peacefully) can stay in that condition with such a smaller budget, why should i vote to give the park district another half a billion dollars to NOT work towards creating the same environment?
Especially when the EBRPD's reputation for condoning such attitudes has become so legendary that word of it has spread to all other areas around the bay.
I, no longer, think that giving them the money is a solution. Especially when their only solutions to the problem is place the blame for not opening the trails on other user groups and to spend the money to build more singletrack instead of opening what already exists which would be far cheaper. it would be a waste.

The East bay is a black hole for mountain biking and $500 million isn't going to improve anything.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
Although my primary focus tends to be mountain biking, let's not forget that the parks are a poor example for hikers too. My daughters no longer want to venture out with me on the weekends. "Eeeww... not those places with all the cow poop" they reply. My wife, who hikes and runs, no longer thinks I'm nuts for being so passionately opposed to this measure since she too has started to venture beyond the two parks virtually in our backyard.
It may be beneficial to get input from other user groups as well since there is dissatisfaction among many of us.

Edit: Wow... I just read the updates. This site is really impressive. I applaud the level of detail and facts presented.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
great website (unfortunately)...really paints a picture...the question is how to get this broadly disseminated as the ebrpd does mass mailings of glossy maps to every resident. gl with the campaign, it might be a tough sell with all the other economic issues anyway.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
cohenfive said:
great website (unfortunately)...really paints a picture...the question is how to get this broadly disseminated as the ebrpd does mass mailings of glossy maps to every resident. gl with the campaign, it might be a tough sell with all the other economic issues anyway.
Why hasn't someone proposed some sort of organized peaceful protest to disseminate this information in a widely visible place with all the press to help cover it....

Oh, wait, I forgot, my ideas suck. Nobody in any visable position is willing to risk the political implications.

If you support this protest of the measure, speak up, speak loudly, and speak to as many people as possible, it works. I don't see any less parking of vehicles outside of our local entities boundary, in fact, it has skyrocketed in the last 7 months, that's gotta be putting the hurt on.

Glad to see this has actually gained some momentum, and that I am not the sole drummer boy in this.

Anybody needs ideas, help, or suggestions come up with a reasonable plan to meet up over coffee post-ride or something and let me know.

So, to sum it all up, "NO on Measure WW", or as I affectionally am calling it, "Where's Waldo?"

Where's his right to ride??

Remove and rewrite the antiquated rules governing our access and use of our lands and I might be interested in listening, and only listening. Try making up for the last 20 years of stupidity I've seen here by proving you aren't just interested in our money and votes.

**** me once, shame on you, **** me twice, shame on me.

Keep up the good work guys and gals!

·
Paper or plastic?
10,297 Posts
One thing opponents of measure WW can do is simply e-mail the website address to their family and friends. Viral marketing works.

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The best thing you can do is to spread www.NoOnMeasureWW.org outside of your mountain biking friends. We all know about it already, and we've all decided one way or the other. So have the hardcore Sierra Club/RPA types.

Who we need to reach is the mass of East Bay voters who can be swayed against the unconscious default of "parks are good, we like parks." Particularly in this time of serious economic crisis, this attitude is very vulnerable to a counter-argument. Plus, a lot of people really *want* to find a way to vote against it and not feel guilty, because they know $500 million is a gigantic slab of cash -- but they don't want to be thought of as anti-environmental. Trust me on this. You are giving them a way to feel good about the environment and still vote it down.

This means you CANNOT BE SHY.

You have to forward www.NoOnMeasureWW.org to friends and family who don't ride. You have to forward it to co-workers. You have to forward it to anyone who votes or might vote in the East Bay. The site can speak for itself, but people have to know to go there, and that's where you come in.

Activism isn't going to meetings or marches with your friends who already agree with you. Activism is getting your message out to the people that haven't heard it yet. There is no shortcut. That's what's going to win this battle.

Now, let's go forth and educate. :D

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
zorg said:
One thing opponents of measure WW can do is simply e-mail the website address to their family and friends.
Done. While I do not live in the East Bay anymore, my family does, so I sent a a copy to every family member, and will have it forwarded on to others, the majority of which are conservatives. Hopefully it will be worth a few no votes.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.