Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all like to complain about how the EBRPD claim to be "environmentalists" while letting cattle trash our parks and open space -- but people never believe us when we tell them how bad it really gets, because all they see is the EBRPD's own glossy brochures.

We need to start documenting the damage we see on our rides.

When you see a torn-up trail, stop and take pictures. When you see a huge, impassable mud wallow, stop and take pictures. When you see cattle standing in mud up past their hocks, take pictures. A whole lot of people got outraged when they saw the pictures on http://www.noonmeasureww.org/blog -- and those weren't even from the mud season!

It's even better if you can take a picture in the same place you took one in the dry season, to show "before" and "after". But anything helps.

Don't just complain and keep going...get out your camera and document. Then either post them up here or send them to me. This destruction has gone on long enough, and we need to bring it out into the open.

·
Registered
767 Posts
El Caballo,
For what ever the reason EBRPD wants the cattle in the parks.
If there is a conflict between Biking and Cattle I would say its a toss up as to which side EBRPD will take. Why push the issue and risk having a wet weather closure on trails. A trail closure sign is much cheaper/faster than adding cattle fences and revizing grazing leases. EBRPD certainly sees the trail damage, they spend money each summer grading the fire roads.
I applaud your effort but I think it may cause more harm than good

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Or perhaps use the damage from the cattle as an argument that there is no reason we should be prohibited from trails on our bikes...

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
ATBScott said:
Or perhaps use the damage from the cattle as an argument that there is no reason we should be prohibited from trails on our bikes...
This is where I'm heading with my complaints. When the trails we're relegated to as bikers (and hikers too) are unusable because of the grazing policies it's time we take a stand. We just gave them another 500 million dollars, yet they aren't able to properly maintain the current trail system. Yesterday I became so frustrated I rode cow trails instead. Guess what? They were more usable than the fire roads, yet they're off limits to those of us who pay for the land. To add insult to injury the cows have now destroyed the Panorama trail you and others spent time and energy to build just two weeks ago. I hope someone got pictures of the trail after your work so it can be compared to the pics I'll get today. I'm disgusted...

·
heaven help me
2,903 Posts
i happen to be involved with land use policy, in state parks in the russian river region, as an activist and a volunteer. the argument that cattle grazing on the open meadows reduces the fire danger is pure bullsh!t. it is the same as saying that we need to clearcut the forest to prevent wildfires. if the cows were gone the deer would come back because the food source is there again. there is a recent park addition where grazing was allowed, when it was still private land. the fire issue came up. luckily the state park ecologist pushed the no grazing ban in state parks. after four years guess what? no fire, the coastal meadows are recovering and if does burn it is a normal and natural event. dan'ger has ridden there with me and has seen the benefit of no cows. you should keep pushing the issue with photo's. use the same tactics like the sierra club, when they are trying to ban us from trails.

G

·
One issue you face here is that some people view that if its cows or horses its OK, bikes NOT.

Cows and horses are seen as " natural". restoration to historic ecosystem often has to fight this battle. Even it if its true the importation of horses and cattle completely altered the landscape in the area and country in general doesn't mean you will get people to go along with the idea nor accept bikes or other forms of recreation even if they are less destructiive

Im with you of course

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
I agree

but open grazing brings revenue to the district. With this in mind you might not be able to end open grazing but possibly reduce the amount of it, or change how its currently done

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
jrm said:
but open grazing brings revenue to the district. With this in mind you might not be able to end open grazing but possibly reduce the amount of it, or change how its currently done
jesus they just got another 500 mil, i think they can do without it destroying our trails for awhile....

·
heaven help me
2,903 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
jesus they just got another 500 mil, i think they can do without it destroying our trails for awhile....
cattle ranchers get sweetheart deals on grazing in public land. the cost of repairing the damage far exceeds the income from grazing. ask the district to show the income generated from grazing and the cost of repairing. i bet you won't get an answer.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Out where I used to live, there was a drinking water protection area off limits to mtbs. Horses were allowed to ride and **** everywhere, though. I realized that this park and water management area wasn't seen my more than a few dozen people a year, a fraction of 1% of the inhabitants.

Now if you want to bring it to their attention, don't make it a "well if we can't use it, then they shouldn't use it either". Develop a premise behind what you're doing, instead of bringing them into a fight with other users.

Here's a trail I rode in Italy, on the Mediterranean. Herds of cows, 1,000 meters up. Cowpies on the trail suck:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've ridden EBRPD through the cow aftermath, really sucked. How many burgers and steaks and dairy products you guys willing to sacrifice to have the place to yourself? Just kidding....sort of. Good luck with the battle, er negotiation, in any case!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
you can see the cow "damage" in this picture..

how about we go after the REAL problem with east bay trails? all the damn no bikes signs are rediculous.. if we're going to expend time and energy tackling a problem, how about tackling one worth fighting?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
tomsmoto said:
you can see the cow "damage" in this picture..

how about we go after the REAL problem with east bay trails? all the damn no bikes signs are rediculous.. if we're going to expend time and energy tackling a problem, how about tackling one worth fighting?
Well, that's a no road bike sign, so what's the problem? :D

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
ATBScott said:
That's where I'm at as well. If the argument against recreational access is dmage caused by that access, it's hard to argue that hikers, bikers, or even horses cause as much damage as a herd of cows milling around on wet ground.

norton55 said:
cattle ranchers get sweetheart deals on grazing in public land. the cost of repairing the damage far exceeds the income from grazing. ask the district to show the income generated from grazing and the cost of repairing. i bet you won't get an answer.
I'd bet you are right about that. But haven't the sweetheart deals cut both ways? Does EBRP own all its parkland, or was some of it preserved via conservation easements from the ranchers? I know MROSD has done this, and I believe State Parks has as well, even though they generally don't see grazing as compatible with the overall State Parks mission.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Well, that's a no road bike sign, so what's the problem? :D
"officer you can CLEARLY see im not on a roadbike!" :lol:

moooo-ve off my cliff drop!

i think they're neat. after a long climb up our local trail my girlfriend and i watched the cows pass for 20 minutes or so.. one licked my tire. i was amused.

i dunno, i didnt spend 2 grand on a suspension bike to ride over smooth terrain.. i can handle all the damage they dish out, and the crap makes good bunny hop practice spots.

these little guys cause more trail damage than the cows do, honestly. they're year round and constantly digging essentially pot holes.

but really, they're fine too.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
tomsmoto said:
i dunno, i didnt spend 2 grand on a suspension bike to ride over smooth terrain.. i can handle all the damage they dish out, and the crap makes good bunny hop practice spots.
You can't bunny hop when your tires are sucked into 6" of a mud/dung/urine mess. If it were just hoof marks and a little roughing up of the trails we'd all love it, but instead it's creating these huge sections of trail that are simply impassable on bike or foot. I left a shoe in one of them last year. And they're freaking FIRE ROADS no less!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.