Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PAGING 105MM/pleasure & Pimpbot!!!
you guys talked me into buying a light system now you need to help me get my money's worth.

With the warm summer days growing longer and the promise of a full moon this weekend, it's the perfect time to start talking about some late night rides in the near east bay trails.

This weekend, I'd like to keep it simple and close to home. Maybe just do Redwood/JMP or Lake Chabot/Anthony Chabot park but since we have a full moon I'll consider other options too. I'd rather not plan to do any massive mileage, i think 12-15 miles at a B class pace should be enough without risking dead batteries in the middle of nowhere.

What night works best for everyone Friday or Saturday night?

If there's enough interest I'd like to make it a regular weekly event maybe hitting different spots every week.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
im in. id prefer saturday nights, but whats up with no weekday nights? wednesdays would be perfect for me. i bought a minewt for a ride, and have only used it twice... need to get my $$$ worth too

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm up for it. Can't do this saturday, though I could do most fridays or saturdays. Wednesday is BCTEB ride at chabot. I just went to my first one of those last week, and had a good time.

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Friday night I'm in. Won't likely see me much on Saturday nights, as it's one of the few nights of the week that my GF has free. And no, she won't be joining us any time soon. What time on Friday? I'm good with later if if that means cooler too.

At some point down the road, I'd like to ride the BRT at night.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Another vote for weeknights.

FWIW there is already a group out of Pleasanton that rides every Tuesday night. They alternate months between Chabot and Pleasanton ridge. I think it's even months at Chabot, and odd months at The Ridge.

I wouldn't mind a weekly JMP ride though. It sounds like there's interest, if it materializes I'm in!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Love to, but....

Got family in town for mo-inlaw's 70th b'day/family reunion. My house will be chocked to the gills with people I hardly know.

I'd love to hit some night riding sometime soon after the smoke clears.

How about some 'overnight riding?'

I'm thinking of trying a bikepacking trip to Chabot from my house... maybe Diablo. If that goes well and I get my 'system' worked out, I'll do something more epic, like West Marin from San Francisco (My house -> BART to SF, ride to West Marin).

I got a micro stove, cookware, water filter, tent, bag, foam mat, bring some food and supplies, camping saw and tools, that sorta thing. Keep it light and small, and I think I can do it.

Bike Hobo!

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
im in. id prefer saturday nights, but whats up with no weekday nights? wednesdays would be perfect for me. i bought a minewt for a ride, and have only used it twice... need to get my $$$ worth too
ive got lights. hit me up whenever you want to go man.

·
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My weekend plans have firmed up and it looks like Friday night will be the night this weekend.
Let's do Lake Chabot/Anthony Chabot trails, meet up at 7:30 and roll out no later than 8:00. (PM me for exact meet point, i don't want to publish where we are parking for safety reasons)
We'll do basically what we do on Wednesdays with BTCEB, just in the dark.

Morgan, Steve,
It would be great to have you guys along, I've met both of you but I've only ridden with Steve maybe once (pre-otter '07)

pimpbot said:
...How about some 'overnight riding?'...
Let me get my commutersorous finished and put some panniers on it then we can talk.
ANYONE GOT ANY SUSPENSION CORRECTED FORKS FOR SALE?

FixThatBike said:
I'd love to get a regular night ride going at Redwood/JMP. Tues or Thurs works best for me.
If your only available on Tuesdays & Thursdays, Check out Cyclepath's website for info on their Tuesday group ride. They alternate weeks between Lake Chabot and Pleasonton Ridge on Tuesdays. BTCEB has a group ride at Chabot on Wednesdays that's been attracting the ladies and has been splitting up into A, B, C groups with various routes to meet everyone's abilities.

ebeer said:
...Another vote for weeknights...
Sorry, some of us have day jobs but if your looking jsut for a ride and not a "night ride" check out either BTCEB's Weekly Wednesday ride, 6:30pm starting at police HQ or the Cyclepath rides.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I got mine...

Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
Let me get my commutersorous finished and put some panniers on it then we can talk.
ANYONE GOT ANY SUSPENSION CORRECTED FORKS FOR SALE?
... from Bent Spoke in Berkeley for $45 brand new. It's a Voodoo fork, I think they told me. No disc tabs, tho. :( Woulda been nice to be able to add a disk one I throw all that extra gear on the bike. Stopping is good. Bent Spoke has a box of cheap, used take-off forks, but none of them (at least when I checked) were suspension corrected.

IIRC, Nashbar has a good deal on rigid forks. THis one has disc tabs, but you gotta pay freight (or find a free frieght deal).

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: ATB Forks

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Hi all, I came over from the vrc board. Yup, we ride on even months at Lake Chabot with the Cyclepath gang. Berkeley Mike joined us last week. The longer days and heat have brought out more evening hikers, so ride with care. We have an A, B, and C group with a no drop policy. The A's usually take off right at 6pm while B and C take together a few minutes later. Please come out and join us. Remember odd months are at the Pleasanton Ridge.

·
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok
T minus 9 hours and no PMs from anyone. :mad:
Was it something i said?
Is it because you think that Chabot is just that half paved fireroad loop around the lake? (it's not, we'll be mostly on singletrack)
do you people have lives and have found something better to do than to ride around in the dark in the woods?
Are you upset because the dems are going to give amnesty to the telecoms for spying?

somebody clue me in. i'm getting sad! :mad:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey, I'm up for night riding... and *not* doing it on a weeknight works for me as well. However, tonight isn't going to work for me, and I can't commit for tomorrow. Hopefully you'll get at least one other taker and can make this a weekly ride.

As far as bike-camping goes, I'd *love* to do it. I've been thinking about a trip up to West Marin from SF. I have my eye on a rear rack from http://www.oldmanmountain.com/.

Probably get the 29er/disc rack that will work with all of my bikes. Unfortunately, at this time my only geared bike is a full squish, so I'll need some specialized racks.... don't feel like converting my hardtail/rigid to gears just for one ride.

-Dave

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
My lights don't get a lot of use during the summer (have 'em in my pack just in case), but they get a LOT of use during the winter. I gotta admit I probably won't be joining you on weekend night rides - I'd rather ride in the morning and my schedule is so hectic that my rides are mostly solo and spur of the moment lately - but it's not anything you said. ;) I expect to see you on midweek night rides in future.

8Trak said:
Hey, I'm up for night riding... and *not* doing it on a weeknight works for me as well. However, tonight isn't going to work for me, and I can't commit for tomorrow. Hopefully you'll get at least one other taker and can make this a weekly ride.

As far as bike-camping goes, I'd *love* to do it. I've been thinking about a trip up to West Marin from SF. I have my eye on a rear rack from http://www.oldmanmountain.com/.

Probably get the 29er/disc rack that will work with all of my bikes. Unfortunately, at this time my only geared bike is a full squish, so I'll need some specialized racks.... don't feel like converting my hardtail/rigid to gears just for one ride.

-Dave
Bikepacking is fun. I've got a cheap rack that attaches to the seatpost and is thus compatible with full squish you can borrow assuming I can't make whatever trip you go on - safe assumption right now. It's got a limited payload, but I can put my tent, sleeping bag, and spare clothes on it and just carry the heavy stuff, food mostly, in my camelbak. The Old Man Mountain would be better, but also pricey.

There are so many bikepacking trips I'd like to do... sigh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
ok
T minus 9 hours and no PMs from anyone. :mad:
Was it something i said?
Is it because you think that Chabot is just that half paved fireroad loop around the lake? (it's not, we'll be mostly on singletrack)
do you people have lives and have found something better to do than to ride around in the dark in the woods?
Are you upset because the dems are going to give amnesty to the telecoms for spying?

somebody clue me in. i'm getting sad! :mad:
Fridays is hard for me
Sat would be better for me.

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Lotsa gear, but...

pimpbot said:
I'm thinking of trying a bikepacking trip to Chabot from my house... maybe Diablo. If that goes well and I get my 'system' worked out, I'll do something more epic, like West Marin from San Francisco (My house -> BART to SF, ride to West Marin).

I got a micro stove, cookware, water filter, tent, bag, foam mat, bring some food and supplies, camping saw and tools, that sorta thing. Keep it light and small, and I think I can do it.

Bike Hobo!
Did you leave room in your packs for knobby tires? I think a modest first ride could be from the bus terminal or ferry in San Rafael area out to SamPTaylor park. Get there, have dinner, and then put the lights and knobbies on for some BRT riding. Get some trail time mixed in to the trip, ya know?

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Great ride, Sparky! Fire roads, ST, nice skyline, plenty of wild life (pinch the nose!), 18+ miles with a steady pace and an occasional breeze, and topped off with a midnight run to In N Out on the backside. All in all, I'm stoked with night riding, and will certainly be doing this one again soon. Monday evening anyone?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.