Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Every time I start looking into upgrading the wheels of my Release 3 i get overwhelmed with all the potential options and theoretical recommendations like "have a local bike builder create them" or "look for a pair of these used wheels".

What is the most straight forward recommendation for a set of wheels that is available to purchase that would be similar to the current wheels but lighter and under $1,000 total?

Thanks!!

-Zack

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey there,

Every time I start looking into upgrading the wheels of my Release 3 i get overwhelmed with all the potential options and theoretical recommendations like "have a local bike builder create them" or "look for a pair of these used wheels".

What is the most straight forward recommendation for a set of wheels that is available to purchase that would be similar to the current wheels but lighter and under $1,000 total?

Thanks!!

-Zack
Problem is there are a lot of good options. I'll give you two that are carbon with good lifetime warranties.

https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/reynolds-mountain-wheels/products/tr-307?variant=32139964186669

https://www.ethirteen.com/collections/all-wheels/products/trs-race-carbon-trail-wheel-tire-bundle

It won't be long before someone recommends BTLOS. That's a good one too if you don't mind giving up the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there,

Thanks!!

-Zack
Great question. This is something that I've also been considering for my R3. I'm thinking _hard_ about some Industry 9 wheels and hubs. Non-carbon are just under $1k for a wheelset in a trail (1550g) or enduro (1750g) widths.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great question. This is something that I've also been considering for my R3. I'm thinking hard about some Industry 9 wheels and hubs. Non-carbon are just under $1k for a wheelset in a trail (1550g) or enduro (1750g) widths.
Pulled the trigger on these last week. Not sure if it was my skills or the quicker Hydra hub engagement, but tackled a few climbs I was not able to do in the past.

They are so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts