Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive ridden road for 5 years and have always clipped in. HAd one wreck so far but for the life of me, cannot fathom clipping in on my Fuel. Washing the front out on a slick right hander with watermelon size rocks below is out when I know I might not can get my food down.

I know I am giving up time to my buddies by riding platforms and I also know that its the best thing to do but dang.

Eggbeaters?
Shimano?

Help! :madman:
 

·
Wrench-O-Phile
Joined
·
262 Posts
You can get multi-release cleats for Shimano pedals that allow you to pull out in almost every direction.

My advice if you decide to go clipless is just to practice, practice and more practice were the consequences of a mistake will not be major damage to body or bike.

Everyone crashes a few times when they first get clipless. Those that crash hard go to platforms. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Shimano pedals can also be adjusted so that they are way too easy to clip out of. Good for starting I guess, but you will want to increase the tension once you get used to them.

My experience is that Crank Brothers pedals feel better, nice float, good engagement, smooth release, etc. but Shimano pedals have the advantage for pulling out in emergencies. Brute force can unclip the Shimanos in just about any direction, and that "brute force" seems to come naturally when I'm scared. :p The Crank Brothers pedals don't let you pull straight up and out, you have to twist your foot/feet.

For what it is worth, my experiences were on CB Mallet (old style) and Shimano 647 pedals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
C_Heath said:
Ive ridden road for 5 years and have always clipped in. HAd one wreck so far but for the life of me, cannot fathom clipping in on my Fuel. Washing the front out on a slick right hander with watermelon size rocks below is out when I know I might not can get my food down.

I know I am giving up time to my buddies by riding platforms and I also know that its the best thing to do but dang.

Eggbeaters?
Shimano?

Help! :madman:
After turning roadie for the past 5 years, I found it hard to be clipped in on the trails. I transferred my Time ATAC pedals (I used for knee issues) over to my mountain bike and I just could not get out of them. (Incidentily, I've chucked the ATACs in favor of Look road pedals and love them)

I've gone back to my old SPD pedals with the spring tension dialed waaaay back. I can just push sideways a touch on them and they'll clip out. Really boosted my confidence.

I've just picked up a new set of SPD pedals. The new design has an open mid-section to allow mud to just clear out vs packing in. I'll have to play around with the settings until I can find one I like. Plus my body is getting used to popping out quickly if needed.

One mind trick that I used on myself. After injuring my knee crashing onto a wet root, my riding came to an end last season. So this season, I've strapped on my old Rollerblade knee pad. It looks dorky. But it gave me a boost in confidence to ride harder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I am new to "clipless" pedals (why are they called clipless, yet they clearly are clip-in)....

and i really like the shimano SPD system. On my first ride with them, it already became somewhat of a natural reflex. I was about to fall in one technical section and quickly twisted the shoe, my foot popped right off and saved me.

with some experience, i can imagine it becomes just as easy as platform pedals...

PS like i said, im new to clipless and ive only ridden SPD so i can not compare to crankbros or etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
GS833 said:
I found Crank Brothers WAYYY easier to clip out of. I had tons of crashes on my SPD's and decided to try the CB, best thing I ever did!!!
hmm something to consider.

as a newbie to clipless, i still have to say the SPD are easy to get out of, and i have mine at 50% of the float adjustment. A lot of room for adjustment in either direction. Crankbros no option for adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
SanDiegan420 said:
hmm something to consider.

as a newbie to clipless, i still have to say the SPD are easy to get out of, and i have mine at 50% of the float adjustment. A lot of room for adjustment in either direction. Crankbros no option for adjustment.
Yeah that's what I thought too, but even at the lowest tension setting I was having problems unclipping. I don't know if it's something I do (or don't do) that makes such a noticeable difference but from the very first day out on CB's I had real emergency situation I wouldn't have gotten out of on SPD's. Like most things, it's personal preference, the same things just don't work for everybody...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
GS833 said:
I found Crank Brothers WAYYY easier to clip out of. I had tons of crashes on my SPD's and decided to try the CB, best thing I ever did!!!
i had the exact opposite. i couldnt stop from crashing with cb's, my foot just absolutely wouldnt release. my shimanos unclip instantly, even in emergency dab situations.

i probably could have trimmed my shoes and installed spacers and crap to get the cb's to work.. but i didnt. i returned them for shimanos that worked 100% perfect right out of the box :)

maybe its me, or my bike or my feet.. i dont know. i think everyone has a pedal preference, and ultimately time, cb, shimano, whatever all work GREAT for someone. give a few a try, if they dont work excellent for you try another brand.
 

·
not really an mtbr member
Joined
·
640 Posts
i've never had issues getting out with CBs. after a while you get to the point where clipping out is a muscle memory thing and it just happens when you're about to go down. that, and they feel so much smoother, more effortless than the SPDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
SanDiegan420 said:
I am new to "clipless" pedals (why are they called clipless, yet they clearly are clip-in)....

and i really like the shimano SPD system. On my first ride with them, it already became somewhat of a natural reflex. I was about to fall in one technical section and quickly twisted the shoe, my foot popped right off and saved me.

with some experience, i can imagine it becomes just as easy as platform pedals...

PS like i said, im new to clipless and ive only ridden SPD so i can not compare to crankbros or etc
They don't use toe clips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
I can't imagine an easier pedal to get out of than Crank Brothers. I've used SPDs and even on the loosest setting they were harder to release. There are two settings on the CBs I use the easiest release setting and I've never had a problem releasing. plus they work great in extreme mud situations.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top