Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I discovered a new problem: my right thumb gets sore from pushing the shift lever on my mountain bike. I suspect that I am developing arthritis in my thumb (I suspect this since I'm getting arthritis in many points). My question is: Are there shift levers or mtb derailleurs that operate with less pressure? Would an electronic derailleur be a solution? The bike in question is a 2008 Giant Trance X1 with a 3X10 gear setup.

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Recently I discovered a new problem: my right thumb gets sore from pushing the shift lever on my mountain bike. I suspect that I am developing arthritis in my thumb (I suspect this since I'm getting arthritis in many points). My question is: Are there shift levers or mtb derailleurs that operate with less pressure? Would an electronic derailleur be a solution? The bike in question is a 2008 Giant Trance X1 with a 3X10 gear setup.
I had similar problems developing in my right wrist and right elbow this summer. I switched to AXS (with the original style controller, not the "upgrade") and I'm much better.

· Registered
1,128 Posts
I have mech on one bike and axs on the other and when I switch from the mech to the axs it always surprises me how much I notice the difference.
And I don't have any arthritis or pain it's just observing it without it even being something I'm consciously looking for.

So definitely think it could help you.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to switch to electronic, but my bike won't accommodate a 12-speed cassette. So the first thing I will do is replace the cable and housing. Then I may opt for a twist style shifter, as suggested by my LBS.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Gripshifters are the easy/simple way. You can get aftermarket grips for them too, I find the stock ones are way too wide and force the shifter way too far inward.

· Formerly of Kent
14,152 Posts
Gripshifters are the easy/simple way. You can get aftermarket grips for them too, I find the stock ones are way too wide and force the shifter way too far inward.
I'm always confused by the stock grip for SRAM grip shifters.

It basically makes a 740mm bar a 660 because it makes the controls so far inboard of the ends of the bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
590 Posts
Seems the cheaper the shifters, the harder to push, but your rig came with Shimano XT, should not be a problem. I had 2010 trance with same 9 speed shifter, and I remember 1 problem, I bought a brand new set of fancy colored jagwire shifter housing/cables (not cheap stuff), shifting immediately felt crappy, hard to push the lever. I was in the LBS and mentioned it, the mechanic said you have to use shimano housing with shimano shifters/derailleurs, couldn't explain why, he said it just works. So I purchased the best quality shimano housing they had, cables, and damn, he was right, shifted like a dream. It's funny, you don't even realized how different shifters feel until you get spoiled with high end stuff.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Seems the cheaper the shifters, the harder to push, but your rig came with Shimano XT, should not be a problem. I had 2010 trance with same 9 speed shifter, and I remember 1 problem, I bought a brand new set of fancy colored jagwire shifter housing/cables (not cheap stuff), shifting immediately felt crappy, hard to push the lever. I was in the LBS and mentioned it, the mechanic said you have to use shimano housing with shimano shifters/derailleurs, couldn't explain why, he said it just works. So I purchased the best quality shimano housing they had, cables, and damn, he was right, shifted like a dream. It's funny, you don't even realized how different shifters feel until you get spoiled with high end stuff.
Not really, the XT and XTR shifters are significantly harder to upshift (moving to a harder gear). They possibly did this to prevent double-shifting, since they have the double-upshift feature, but it's enough to irritate my thumb and make me move to sram triggers on all bikes (which I did). SLX on the other hand goes back to the lighter action.

A few years ago, shifter action did get heavier, more "clunky", most people saw it as more "positive" that you knew you had shifted a gear, vs. the much lighter action from years before. IMO shimano kind of over-did this in response to it becoming more popular (see above), but it's definitely both companies that moved this way in the last decade. The old 10, 9 and 8spd stuff was generally lighter.

Reactions: DeeCount

· Registered
590 Posts
Not really, the XT and XTR shifters are significantly harder to upshift (moving to a harder gear). They possibly did this to prevent double-shifting, since they have the double-upshift feature, but it's enough to irritate my thumb and make me move to sram triggers on all bikes (which I did). SLX on the other hand goes back to the lighter action.

A few years ago, shifter action did get heavier, more "clunky", most people saw it as more "positive" that you knew you had shifted a gear, vs. the much lighter action from years before. IMO shimano kind of over-did this in response to it becoming more popular (see above), but it's definitely both companies that moved this way in the last decade. The old 10, 9 and 8spd stuff was generally lighter.
I have had shimano XT in 8 speed, 9 seed, 10 speed, and currently 11 on 1 bike, not one was or is hard to push when set up right. Also had an old 9 speed xtr that was flawless, even bought used, until it sat and gummed up. Much nicer than any deore, lx, or lower level sram i've used. I do have a box 11 speed shifter that would definitely cause arthritis, actually switched it out to XT after a few rides. I would put the push leverage of the 1x11 XT on par with my current sram gx. But I will say that my sram xo shifter is lighter and crisper than any yet.

· Registered
361 Posts
I've found the 11 and 12 speed xtr shifters to be a much heavier press. I had bought the 11 speed xtr shifter for the wife and after trying it for a few minutes I boxed it up and returned it. The downshift was heavy but doable, the upshift was absurdly heavy. No way would that work for the wife. Got XTR Di2 instead, much lighter shifting. When researching the problem I came across a review where the guy (SickBiker) showed how the newer XT/xtr had heavy shift actuation by design to provide positive feedback. He also said if your picking one out for the wife go with SLX as it's a lot lighter feel.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
I have had shimano XT in 8 speed, 9 seed, 10 speed, and currently 11 on 1 bike, not one was or is hard to push when set up right. Also had an old 9 speed xtr that was flawless, even bought used, until it sat and gummed up. Much nicer than any deore, lx, or lower level sram i've used. I do have a box 11 speed shifter that would definitely cause arthritis, actually switched it out to XT after a few rides. I would put the push leverage of the 1x11 XT on par with my current sram gx. But I will say that my sram xo shifter is lighter and crisper than any yet.
Ok, whatever. 11spd is where it changed and it's the same with 12. This is well documented and I even shot a video of it.

Reactions: DeeCount
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.