Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I picked up a 1983(?) Specialized Stumpjumper from a neighbor who was clearing out his garage. It was mostly complete and once I got it cleaned and added new wheels and a saddle and post,I took it out for a spin. Wow.Such a laid back ride and comfy too. I wanted one for the longest time.
Anyways,I looked up Jeff's site on the early Stumpjumpers and can presume it's a 1983 model. It has 'Special Touring Series' Cro-moly tubing, Biplane style fork,Suntour Mountech and Specialized components, and early Shimano BR-MC70 HJ cantilevers hooked up to some HUGE Tommaselli 'Racer' Hi-performance levers.
The serial number is: M3L 019. The bike's registration expired in 1986. Any help in determining the year would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hummm, could be '83 or and '84. It has componets from both years. What are the hubs and rims? '83's had bullmoose bars and bolt on hubs.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Built4Speed said:
The serial number is: M3L 019. The bike's registration expired in 1986. Any help in determining the year would be appreciated.
Nice bike!!

The "3L" in the serial number means that the frame was manufactured in December of '83. Most likely the bike was sold during the '84 model year.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
There's a guy I ride with from time to time that has an '84 (I think) Stumpy. I always try to get him to sell it to me. I have always wondered how it rides off-road...he isn't the ride-swapping type. I think the forks on those early Stumps are really neat, from eons ago.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheels,hub and parts info

Thanks guys.

The Stumpy came with a Gray ano Saturn (checked spelling) HL23 rear rim laced to a bolted Specialized 36h hub with a rusted and frozen Suntour 5 speed freewheel.The front rim is a silver Araya with a 32h QR hub,unknown brand and badly rusted spokes.
The stem is a y-shaped (Sakae?) 4 bolt stem with the cable guide thru a alloy center rod.The riser bar is a Specialized 'Heat treated' bar. I think the stem may be period aftermarket. The '83s had a bmx style bolted stem from what I could see in Jeff's site.
The frame is lugged ( cool! ) with a neat seat bolt/quick release. Headset is Specialized black anodized steel.
There appears to be chromed seat and chainstays,front and rear dropouts and fork legs under the blue paint,which has chipped off from storage and riding.
I was guessing the same thing,about the bike having a mix of parts from '82 and '83 actually ( Jeff's Specialized spec's info ).
The bike was missing the post and seat.The rims I'm installing are Specialized grey anodized GX26 hoops laced to Wheelsmith built 36h Specialized QR hubs and Ground Control tires that I just picked up at a LBS today for a buck each. The freewheel is a Sach Maillard 13/24 straight block. I may install a vintage Tioga T-bone and Taperlite bar but that's a maybe.I like the way the bike rides with the current stem/bar combo.
Oh,and I paid twenty dollars for the Stumpjumper.
I'll let you guys know how it rides on the trails after this weekend. (rock strewn,single track,lots of ruts,off cambered turns...stuff like that.) :p

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do.Thanks.

Santana SS said:
You suck I am green with envy. Congrats, Nice Find!
Here's what the bike looks like now; Ground Controls,re-installed the bolted Saturne Rim and installed a black anodized bullmoose bars and I cleaned it up some more.I'm Looking forward to riding it out in the trails.

Attachments

·
Trying to grow a mustache
375 Posts
Sorry, I've been wanting to reply to this thread for a week but haven't been able too. I have an 84 Stumpy Sport that I got new in 85 that has alot of the same parts. The stem was an upgrade but was offered by Spez in their catalog at the time i belive. I wish I still had that catalog. I'm planning on rebuilding mine this summer, sort of a retro cruiser, new paint. anybody know if moustache bars would fit on that old stem?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking about moustache bars too.

The bars should fit on these stems. I like the bullmoose bars now.I cut 1.5" off each side.
If anybody wants to know how the Stumpjumper rides the trails more than twenty years later...it was a blast! I found a nice muddy trail and the Ground Controls got me through. I rode the bike through a wide stream and I didn't dab. I had fun that day. :D

·
Trying to grow a mustache
375 Posts
What do you think about this as a remake/remodel;
Moustache bars
Light-ish green or blue metallic paint
WTB Cantis
brooks saddle
But the same damn wheels b/c Ive trued them once in the last 20 years
Wow it feels good just to type it...cheap sub for my buddies rivendell.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Z-Man said:
anybody know if moustache bars would fit on that old stem?
Don't think so. The (at least the original) moustache bar has a center clamp are that is only wide enought for a single stem clamp. And the moustache bar take a pretty quick bend forward once it gets past the center section. Those Y-shaped stems clamp the bar to the sides of the center.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.