Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 Ibis Mojo (steel hardtail) is starting to get a little bit of rust underneath the paint on the top tube and the down tube. I can see the rust through the paint in a few small spots, only one or two milimeters long. If there's any damage to the frame, I hope that I've caught this early enough to save the frame. I love the fit and the ride of this bike, and I'm not ready to replace it anytime soon. I checked inside the seat tube and there's no sign of rust, so I hope this is all contained to the surface of the frame.

I never had this problem when I lived in California, but I've been on the East Coast for about a year and there's more humidity here. I've generally cleaned and wiped down the bike after riding. Over the years I've filled in any scratches and dings with touch-up paint. Any suggestions on what I should do here? Having the frame repainted by Ibis isn't really an option. They went out of business a few years ago. I could sand the spots a little and cover with touch up, but this might make things worse. If anyone has experience with steel surface rust, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Sam

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
I'd sure love to revisit this topic as I have an old steel frame that has a few scratches that have turned rusty - all in bad places: BB shell, near headtube joint, etc... The bike has been in this condition for a couple years and I am wondering if I should just ditch it, or maybe have it sandblasted and repainted. Mine is not a swank Ibis or a Fat Chance, but it is a 4lb old school steel frame which would be hard to replace without dropping 4bills.
How much rust is too much? Any links to more rust on frame info?

·
Registered
804 Posts
rust

sodade said:
I'd sure love to revisit this topic as I have an old steel frame that has a few scratches that have turned rusty - all in bad places: BB shell, near headtube joint, etc... The bike has been in this condition for a couple years and I am wondering if I should just ditch it, or maybe have it sandblasted and repainted. Mine is not a swank Ibis or a Fat Chance, but it is a 4lb old school steel frame which would be hard to replace without dropping 4bills.
How much rust is too much? Any links to more rust on frame info?
I don't think surface rust is anything to worry about. Unsightly, but not a big deal. Keep it clean and fill in scratches with paint before they rust.

If you see rust flaking into pieces inside the BB shell then it is time to be a little concerned. But, how much is too much? I have a feeling that it will take a long time for a frame to rust through. But I really do not know. But rust on the surface is not a big deal IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.